Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Bum on a Bikes cranking miles...

OUTBACKUFO
    Last edited by OUTBACKUFO; 09-30-2010 at 03:01 AM.

OUTBACKUFO
    m

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBACKUFO View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the gasoline issue... i will probally ring them and email them to see what there schedul is when i get closer to Radisson... I can do 750KMs so if i have to wait a day for fuel i wait and photograph.... from a web page that i have gas seems to be a bit more redible at the two places... will call ahead as always...

the black flies dont get me anymore... dealt with them and the mozzies up in AK and YT/NWT. I have a natrual alternative to DEET that works great and smells like citrus a bit... does not make you lips swell up if you get it on them... in AK and YT the mozzies would bit through my jacket but only come in close to my exposed sink that had the citrus stuff on it and fly away...only got one bite in AK last time... just you have to put the stuff on more often is all... i got a decent system to get in my tent by placing a head lamp on the far side of my wind drape shield i then get in and with only hand reaching out turn off the head lamp and get in... in the day time i get under the wind shield but not in to see if any mozzies/BFlies followed then go in... a little extra protent never hurts for midnight snack
    I have some "natural" bug repellent as well; I think it's lemon and eucalyptus... works great for the mosquitoes, but I didn't try it for the black flies. I also haven't gotten any on my lips, so maybe I'll avoid that unless I'm trying for the collagen look for cheap.

I found that post I was talking about regarding road conditions and fuel on the James Bay Road website forum:

"He was riding a 1200 Goldwing with a sidecar and I have a 1990 BMW R100GS. The straight sections and the right hand curves were no problem [a little loose at times due to sand] but the left curves were another matter! The on coming traffic had pushed a lot of loose gravel into the right lane so at times it was 3-6" deep of very loose "stuff". I definately had trouble finding " the line" on the lefty's and almost went down a couple of times. Where I come from we would call it "B" gravel - a fair bit of sand that doesn't pack to well.The Vicar slid around a bit but overall he did well.Anyway, we made it to Nouchimi outfitters [km 286]. No one was there. The restaurant and large clubhouse was open- again no one around. Sooo... we had a "siesta" [some very comfy chairs] and waited. After 1 1/2 hrs we heard a vehicle come in. Some residents from east of Mirage were stopping in to use the washrooms - they said it was possible that we could be there a day or two before someone showed up! No sooner had he said that,another truck came in [owner,worker?] and fueled us up[$ 1.48 L] No food was available there. We decided to head back to Radisson. Going west I didn't have near as much trouble -guess I was getting used to the road and the siesta didn't hurt either. I believe I need to "brush up" on my gravel road riding. I've run the Dempster,Dalton and Trans Labrador roads on touring motorcycles in the '90's but not to much since then[south Canol in Yukon in 05.]There was not much traffic on the TTR and most on coming transport trucks slowed down -very nice."

The whole discussion is here, though I copied most of the important stuff.

Have a great ride!

Motorradfahrer
    You da Man..OUTBACKUFO...great teacher

Got it.....Indeed beautiful, now one last thing; How about MAPSOURCE(Garmin) or Google MAPS, not Earth...

Appreciate your brains..!

Thanks a gazillion

OUTBACKUFO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorradfahrer View Post
    You da Man..OUTBACKUFO...great teacher

Got it.....Indeed beautiful, now one last thing; How about MAPSOURCE(Garmin) or Google MAPS, not Earth...

Appreciate your brains..!

Thanks a gazillion
    dont know the others.... sorry... though i figure there is some type of similar function as with Google Earth...

OUTBACKUFO
    m

OUTBACKUFO

Bike Prep ... Leaving on Tuesday

Last edited by OUTBACKUFO; 09-30-2010 at 03:02 AM.

OUTBACKUFO

Getting a Ride in befoer taking off

OUTBACKUFO

OUTBACKUFO

On the road Update

OUTBACKUFO
    Last edited by OUTBACKUFO; 09-30-2010 at 03:03 AM.

OUTBACKUFO

OUTBACKUFO

Made if Home