Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2009 BMW MOA Rally?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Greg mentioned the Dragon as being fairly close by, but I gotta wonder with the whole BMW nation decending on it over 4 days, it could get a tad crowded!
    dragon? we don't need no squid-filled dragon!

come rally time next year your gps will be filled with roads that are *better* than the dragon and nary a squid in sight.

i promise.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    SE United States would make 2009 my first National Rally. I was thinking 2010 would be my first as I'll retire Dec 31, 2009. Hope the SE Rally is near the Bama, GA, Tenn, abutting area. Great Bar-B-Que/Southern cooking, scenic roads, places of interest, and friendly people. Ride Safe
    The location has been announced.

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    The 2009 BMW MOA International Rally will be held at the Appalachian Fair, in Gray, TN, July 16th~19th.
    I'd imagine with Plenty of Shade!!!
    Last edited by grafikfeat; 07-01-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Stoopid tpyo!
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Quote Originally Posted by taetsa View Post
    Don't we have enough Mexicans here???????? I have no desire to give them any more of my money than we all have allready.
    Helluva 1st post.

Krazo

Johnson City?

Not even close! Gray is the tiny burg it is next to, and the mailing address. Here is a decent map from google. Just hope the fairgrounds gets its site together soon, or we'll have to hire a U2...the sat photos are only to 2000 ft. resolution...just like Antartica!

BTW; What a target enriched moto riding territory! Good job, guys and gals!

Wow! I was down that way last year for the RA rally and other vacation, but never thought I might get back there this soon...

This time, I have to convince my wife i need to go on the bike... (yep, only minivan at the Biltmore)

Eric

Bbq???

Someone said BBQ?

By gawd I hope it's not that forsaken mustard based stuff! If it is, I'll go off on the volunteers for planning this!

At least Memphis is between here and there!

Gotta wait a year!
    Rob Lessen

'07 R12RT
    '14 R12RT LC

I rode through Eastern Tennessee near the 2009 Rally site a couple of weeks ago on my way home from Texas. I never got off the slab except to sleep but it looked like nice country. I'm going from Albany, NY to Atlanta Labor Day. If I have time I'll adjust my route to make a visit there.
    One thing I can say about the area is that I-81 isn't a very pleasant drive. There's always heavy truck traffic and they tend to herd up slowing everyone down. Virginia has posted signs that basically say "If you're driving less than the speed limit stay in the right lane" but it's still common to get behind two trucks well below the speed limit riding side by side mile after mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_K View Post
    ...but it's still common to get behind two trucks well below the speed limit riding side by side mile after mile.
    ... and then pass 'em.
    I'd never sit behind an 18 wheeler...
    Especially "Mile after Mile"!

WDaigle
    Fantastic choice, We've gone to the Smokies and that area of Tenn, N.C. and Va. every year for the past 12 years and have only scratched the surface of the number of great roads. Great roads for every type of riding, touring, riding twisties and thousands of miles of off road riding. We'll be going there again this October. I guess we'll just have to go there twice in six months-darn . Only down side is that Wheels Thru Time in Maggie Vally will be closed by then . It's a shame cause it was a great place to visit and less than two hour ride from the rally site. Can't wait till July 09

Thumbs up Great riding ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    dragon? we don't need no squid-filled dragon!

come rally time next year your gps will be filled with roads that are *better* than the dragon and nary a squid in sight.

i promise.

ian
    You've got that right! Leave the "Dragon" to the squids and HD riders. There are so many other, better roads in the region. I'm looking forward to learning some new roads from the folks here on the forum.

I don't know about TN 'que, but there's good stuff right over the border in NC. I think the mustard sauce is from south of the border (SC). Here in the Old North State, we've actually got two competing styles of 'que: eastern (chopped pork with vinegar-based hot sauce) and Lexington (chopped pork with sweet sauce).

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    The 2009 BMW MOA International Rally will be held at the Appalachian Fair, in Gray, TN, July 16th~19th.
    I'd imagine with Plenty of Shade!!!
    I heard a rumor that they were going to cut down all the trees and straighten the roads to make the mid-westerners feel more at home!

RM

EyeBiker
    I heard a rumor that they were going to cut down all the trees and straighten the roads to make the mid-westerners feel more at home!
    The midwesterners will feel right at home in this area. There are no rain flooded river banks or sandbags anywhere near here. Please bring water with you when you come. Lots of it.

Thumbs up

Outstanding site selecion. My son and I spent several days there this May, tearing up the Smoky Mountains.

Though we 'challenged' the Dragon seven times, and I would advise anyone who has not ridden it to give it a try (Remember: Outside-Inside-Outside), we found other neat routes nearby in N. Carolina and northern S. Carolina that were a hoot!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by longriderdesign View Post
    You've got that right! Leave the "Dragon" to the squids and HD riders. There are so many other, better roads in the region. I'm looking forward to learning some new roads from the folks here on the forum.

I don't know about TN 'que, but there's good stuff right over the border in NC. I think the mustard sauce is from south of the border (SC). Here in the Old North State, we've actually got two competing styles of 'que: eastern (chopped pork with vinegar-based hot sauce) and Lexington (chopped pork with sweet sauce).
    There are wonderful crooked mountain roads on the Virginia side within about 50 miles of the rally. Makes you wonder what is special about the Dragon (and almost no traffic)
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.