Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 BMW MOA Rally?

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Atlanta?
    party at my house.

(wait until my wife finds out....)

BMW Auto plant in Greenville - Spartanburg, SC?

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Floppp View Post
    Reading between the line in Gail's post, I would venture SE near a major metro area.
    Wow, that's a lot of reading...you're going to strain your eyes!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

ben721364
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    well, fwiw, if a proposed site does *not* meet the hotel room availability requirement, it is usually out of the running. i don't know how much higher a priority you can put on it than that.

ian
    RSST member
    Someone indicated that there would be ample rooms in 2009, for which I am grateful. On the other hand it appears that I may have struck a nerve based on some of the "justifications" for the lack of emphasis on facilities for folks who do not want to camp, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    No info release on exact location yet? -Bob
    I asked at the last board meeting as Wisconsin was announced at that meeting the prior year and I was expecting 09's site to be announced this year.

The answer, contracts not all in place. Will not be announced till Gillette. Having said that, everything is subject to change.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Thats just like it was in the "good old days".
    The boards family and friends first, then the big clubs.
    The rest of us wait.

cheesewhiz
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    BMW Auto plant in Greenville - Spartanburg, SC?
    WHAT!?!?!?

I didn't know BMW made cars too???????

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    I asked at the last board meeting as Wisconsin was announced at that meeting the prior year and I was expecting 09's site to be announced this year.

The answer, contracts not all in place. Will not be announced till Gillette. Having said that, everything is subject to change.
    The irony is that the policy was changed a number of years ago when the necessary contracts were signed, necessary being the site and the staff / volunteer / VIP hotel.

When this policy was dicussed these contracts had been historically signed well before 12 months out.

It is a coincidence that ever since none of these contracts has been signed early enough to move the announcement up from when it had always been.

Personally I feel that knowing what region next year's rally is going to be in is plenty. I know it will be in the S.E. USA and for me that is plenty.

Other than trying to book stuff now (which most hotels won't take this far out anyway) what is the need to know the specific site for 09 before the 08 event?

Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    Thats just like it was in the "good old days".
    The boards family and friends first, then the big clubs.
    The rest of us wait.
    I was one of the people in the grandstands in those days too. And I can tell you that there was nothing quite like the build-up of waiting until Saturday night to learn where the NEXT year's rally was going to be. It made it more exciting. (Like Christmas morning.)

Who else do you know that lets their club tell them where they are going on vacation next year?

I think the first time we saw this change was 1998 in Missoula. Michael Friedle (chairman for the following year's rally) put up all of the information for the 1999 rally in the vendor building so we found out before the closing ceremony that '99 was going to be in Rhinebeck.

(And it DID make sense, to put out the information for the rally attendees.)
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    T
    Other than trying to book stuff now (which most hotels won't take this far out anyway) what is the need to know the specific site for 09 before the 08 event?
    Point well taken. As my faculty buddy in Clinical Psychology once said to me...."Bob, it appears that you have an inability to delay gratification" (BTW... some very complex psychological profiles confirmed his observation) While this may sound like a contradiction, I also see merit in Sue's observation regarding excitement "like Christmas". I wasn't good at that either though -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Personally I feel that knowing what region next year's rally is going to be in is plenty. I know it will be in the S.E. USA and for me that is plenty.

I agree. I can handle anywhere in the southeast. I can't think of any place I wouldn't go in the southeast. I just know I won't have to ride through a desert to get there and it will be within about 1,000 miles of me.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Floppp View Post
    Reading between the line in Gail's post, I would venture SE near a major metro area.
    Return to Charleston?
    Doug Mc Gee
    Ice-Co Chair
    OH Airmarshal
    www.airheads.org

Southeast works for me, as I'll probably be able to visit family on the way. Lots of great riding over that way too.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Well you heard it first here.

I think the '09 rally site stinks.

THEY did it all wrong, what were THEY thinking.

I have no idea where the '09 rally site is, I just wanted to be the first to say I hate the location.

EVERYONE knows the place is too big,small, close to big cities, far away, roads are too small and twisty to get any where in a hurry and they are too flat and straight.

Geeez when are THEY going to get it right???

OK kidding off, you may now return to your regularly scheduled thread. Hijack over.
    Live this day.

I, for one, would like to see the announcement moved back to Saturday night at the Rally. This meant it showed up to the general membership that did not attend in the October rally issue of ON. In the pre-internet days the arrival of that issue marked the beginning of my winter planning for the next years rides. I know it will be leaked on the forum before the October issue, but after my formal planning for the year has been completed.

Making the announcement part of the rally Saturday night events seems right and gives a firm date that work has to be done by while giving us all an answer when the expected thread comes…’When and where is the next years rally?.’ It will be announced Saturday night of this years rally.