Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Topcase

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

Inexpensive Topcase

Here is a topcase I have added mainly as a backrest for the pillion. I have used this particular brand in the past, and it has worked well for me. So well in fact, I decided to use it on my new RRS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

The mount is just like a Givi topcase mount, it works exactly the same. I fabricated a piece of black nylon to level it, and to hold a Backoff stop/tail light I had mounted just above the license plate. I was not happy with the location, and part of the reason I used the plastic was to provide a better place to mount the light. I used stainless 1/4-20 fasteners including nylock nuts. (they have a nylon insert that helps heep them tight) instead of the cheap ones supplied. The nylon was cut on a band saw to the approximate dimentions, then a grove was cut to slightly recess the Backoff leds, using a bench press and a mill bit. I made several passes to get the groove to the depth I wanted. The piece was fitted and marked for holes to slide the stainless bolt through. I chose holes that matched up with the slots in the rack on the bike. It is very secure, and the Led lights are much more effective in increasing my visibility. The rack looks pretty good with the topcase off. (I forgot to get pictures of that, and the Led looks like it belongs there)
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Here is a side view of the Mount:
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

here is another view:
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

and a view from the rear:
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

The case has a seal that is waterproof, the latch locks as well as the release mechanism. The latch works a lot like a Givi, and I can put a couple bottle of wine in there or my full face helmet, which I can't do in my side cases. Total cost was right at 100.00 not counting the Backoff light. The bracket is included with the case, and the nylon block will probably be the toughest thing to find. I would like some feedback as to how it looks.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

DZIMBRIC

What kind of topcase

So where did you get the topcase. Looks really good and you cannot argue with the price.

I got it here, believe it or not.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

DZIMBRIC

WOW

All you need to do now is add a BMW roundel and tell everyone it is a prototype.

Very, very nice, man.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Nice looking install

You must be a professional, sir. Looks good and the price sounds right! I agree with dzimbrick, you ought to get a beemer roundel on it.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Originally posted by lorazepam
    I would like some feedback as to how it looks.
    Looks great to me. And it beats the $500 for the BMW topcase. Good job.

DZIMBRIC

$500.00

Originally posted by Rich
    Looks great to me. And it beats the $500 for the BMW topcase. Good job.

$500? $500? Where are you shopping. I priced one for the RT last year and with the mount and backrest pad it was +$700

And you can get a full face helmet into the JC Whitney case and have enough money left over to pay for the gas to Spokane and back.

See you in Spokane

Re: $500.00

Originally posted by dzimbric
    $500? $500? Where are you shopping. I priced one for the RT last year and with the mount and backrest pad it was +$700
    I stand corrected, ok, so it beats the $700 for the BMW topcase. I thought I saw one advertised somewhere for $500. Jeez, they want a lot of money for a little black box. I prefer a cordura bag myself, I bought one years ago and use the heck out of it. It has a built in backrest that doesn't cost extra.

Gee, Thanks!

Now I don't feel like I committed some unforgivable sin, crossed some invisible line, ... by putting something non-BMW on the bike. Many of my old stereotypes of Beemer Riders are fading away. What is next? Will I loose my stereotypes of the HD guys?

I put one of the J.C. Whitney top cases on my "thoroughly used" K100RT this winter. I thought I'd pulled off a great move though, when the fashion conscious HD guy at work complemented the "Look of it"

It works great for dragging the lunch and thermos to word, and leaving the helmet on the bike during the day.

The Missus made a backrest pad for it so she can lean back in comfort. She used "stick on Velcro" on the case and stitched the "hook" Velcro to the pad. It's worked well for the short rides in the evenings. But, the real test will be the trip to IA (from MN) this weekend.

Jim