View Poll Results: How should we use the MX track at the rally?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open track time for a very small fee

5 7.04%
  • Peer instruction with open time

27 38.03%
  • I ride a GS and am not interested in this activity

13 18.31%
  • I don't care what we do but I love the idea of using the track

26 36.62%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Calling all GS Riders

Trying hard, guys/gals:)

This "GS Event" may well get into the Rally schedules, per Rob Nye and Me. Sounds like Rob has been into his research mode and we have a basic start at putting this together, folks. Hoorah, for all the GS riders and folks just watching the fun, as spectators. We'll try hard to get a formadable plan of attack together and get r done, for all to enjoy. Thanks to Rob, for bringing up the m/x track in this forum and with his guidance and my assistance, we'll have a heck of a fun time. My past experience in these kind of events on dirt has been its very popular for the spectators and riders too. It will draw some attention, you bet! BMW's and dirt, make for some fun times. A learning curve indeed, riding dirt on the biggest of world class bikes, like the BMW GS's,etc. F650's too and others. Beginners should not hesitate to come along and find their newfound freedom, putting the GS class into its real world of adventure. I will make every attempt to make lesser experienced riders in dirt welcome and show them some of the ropes of dirt riding. I began at motocross racing in my mid teens for Yamaha, long ago and have ridden dirt most of my life, at 55 now. Its been such a rewarding experience, to view the scenery of the less travelled byways in my travels. The GS lineup has provided all of us willing, to a great deal of new experiences, with a little education and riding style changes. Not much, just a little dirt knowledge will get r done nicely. Its very addictive and once hooked, its in the blood. Rob Nye, I do not know, but have read about and has a Directorship in the MOA, I believe, Yes? He clearly has some dirt experiences too and even with the new GS800, we've all drooled over in pictures only(shame on BMW). We need it here, in N.America. I hope to discuss further, as the rally gets closer, with Rob and get this thing set for action at our rally in Wyoming. Please, to all, be interested and give us some support as this will be a first for our National Rally(to my knowledge) and I promise some hard work on my part, getting it done. Some helpers will be needed and probably easily found, when we arrive. Happy Traisl to all, "Polarbear" Randy Owens13233

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Rob, what's going on with this?

Any news?
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestGS View Post
    Rob, what's going on with this?

Any news?
    Good morning!

Yes we have some progress on the GS front.

First we have a committee of myself, Jim Hanson and Randy Owens, aka Polarbear dedicated to making 2008 the year of the GS.

Jim and the Black Hills BMW Riders have been out scouting routes and putting together maps. They will have the maps at hospitality and will post a local there for the first and last hour hospitality is open to offer tips.

On Thursday and Friday from 10-4 we are going to have the MX track open for experimentation and peer based instruction. We are still sorting this out but it will be very informal.

On Saturday morning Randy is taking the lead on setting up "MOA Trials" in and around the MX park. This will be similar to what the BMW NorCal does at their 49er rally.

Our thoughts are that if you are less than comfortable on your GS, come practice with us on Thursday and ride one of Jim's routes on Friday.

We are actively looking for people to help out. We need competitent GS riders who are game for helping out other GS riders plus we need folks to act as corner workers. We also need folks to help with the trials too.

We did get a brief blurb in the rally program and we will be sending something in to Vince for the home page. Because we haven't seen the track or know how many folks we will have to help out we are going to try to be as flexible as possible so we can make adjustments once on site. Pretty much the only thing we are not going to be able to allow is racing, or crazy suntah MX tricks.

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar

Talking

Thanks Rob, I'm planning to be at the rally this year and will help out as much as possible while I'm there.

This may be too difficult for the average GS rider, but the bike can do it with no problem:

Hoping to lend a hand...
    Last edited by PacWestGS; 05-21-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: speeling
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

helmet head

Thumbs up Off Road Riding

I'm a new GS owner and would love to learn the limits of my bike off road. Bring on the training.

Good:)

Be there, we will be! Thanks for the help and the pictures of your trails. AND, those of you needing advice/help, asking questions will be normal, so don't hesitate to find an experienced GS Rider and latch on. I will do my best to bring anyone willing to learn, the dirt riding experience these bikes can provide. A few good tips and some practice will calm your nerves, regarding dirt riding GS's. Those of you with lots of dirt time, I want to meet with too and we can play. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear"....

I might not agree with Russ's taste in music (was that really Satriani?), but the boy can ride.

Y'all missed out on some good fun.