Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment 04/13/08

SNC1923

Photo Assignment 04/13/08

It's that time again: a new Photo Assignment. You had enough time to rest and digest the results of your last efforts. It's time to break out the camera again, but please allow me to remind you of these simple rules:

• Photos must be shot between Fri. 04/04/08 and Sun. 04/13/08--10 days.
    • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
    • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
    • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
    • Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo. You may post more than one photo, but try to keep it to a handful.
    • Title your photo so it can be referred to later.
    • Post two or three of your best photos in this thread. Please post series, experiments, and photos for comment and criticism in the PHOTO COMMENTARY thread.
    • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

This week's theme: "Old School"

Anything that is from an earlier era and looked upon with high regard or respect: music, clothing, language, or anything really. Refers to a previous generation of a subject, idea, or object. Typically, "old school" refers to something highly regarded and sometimes the very thing that started it all. A school (in the sense of old school) is a grouping of people who share common characteristics of opinion or outlooks of philosophy, craft, or belief. It is in this sense that people refer to schools of thought, or schools of belief or practice. Schools are oftenÔÇöparticularly in the field of popular musicÔÇöcharacterized by their currency, and thus classified into "new" and "old" schools. Often there is a defining event or work which comes to be seen as separating old from new.

This assignment lends itself equally to portraits or still lifes. Although it is wide-open to subjects, it is specific in interpretation. Please do not submit a picture of an old school unless it is truly old school.

Remember Ansel Adam's admonition, "You don't take a photograph, you make it."

As you search for something old school, remember some of the principles we've been working on:

• Rule of thirds
    • Think foregrounds
    • Shooting during the "golden hours"
    • Look for a focal point
    • Consider a high or lower vantage point
    • Seek diagonal lines
    • Frame your subject

NOTE: Please use the COMMENTARY THREAD to post multiple efforts and to discuss techniques, ask questions, make comments, etc. Please reserve this thread no more than three of your final efforts, the photos you're really proud of and want feedback on. Thanks!

Now get out there and find "old school"!

I call this "The Eye of the Rock"... Riding through Arches National Park on the 5th, that sun hit me right in the eye. My eye... Yes, at the right time at the right place, there is a hole in that rock... But what is from an earlier "era" in this photo?...
    Looks closely and you will see on the top left edge of the rock "Diana Ross's" profile looking south and on the top right edge of the rock "Richard Nixon's" profile looking north... Sorry... no Supremes!!!

You be well... we are believe it or not!!!

Ara & Spirit

rocketman

Old School by Rocketman

RM

Typically, "old school" refers to something highly regarded and sometimes the very thing that started it all.
    Big Red was the first of her kind.

MY kind ; )

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 04-08-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

darcym

Is a 41-year-old R69S old school enough? It was built the same year I bought my first motorcycle, a BMW.

Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

mrich12000
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Is a 41-year-old R69S old school enough? It was built the same year I bought my first motorcycle, a BMW.

Located in Niagra Falls, Ontario, This is a prized1923 BMW Chris the owner puchased this concour winner 2 years ago Nice paint on both units.. the engine looks diferent Eh..
    Last edited by mrich12000; 04-22-2008 at 05:04 PM.

"airhead"

Paul

REALLY old school. Same exact view after a passage of 128 years. Took the lower photo from the top of Sentinel Peak just yesterday. I wasn't around for the top photo -- indeed, neither were my parents or my grandparents!

Last edited by bmwdean; 04-12-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

franze

Chuck rides G&S

Old School

Crater Lake MOA Rally 2001
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drive Wheels

Mark Evans
    1974 R 75/6
    "Life is a state of mind"

RandallIsland

Sheer boredom, the sheer genius of the Emeritus of my major department, a bevy of delightful young ladies in constant and glorious attendance, small classes outdoors... this pic captures, for me, everything that is:
    Old School.

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Now photographing with my Canon 40D!

Bay Area vintage BMW legend Joe Groeger.

Last edited by Burnszilla; 04-16-2008 at 06:28 AM.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com