Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which do you prefer..airhawk, beads, or sheepskin

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    They don't ride motorcycles.
    They don't sit on an Airhawk or sheepskins, either.

pioneer pants and LD comfort shorts

I found using proper pants and the LD comfort shorts, along with the BMW all day seat allowed me to do 1226 miles last years in the Utah 1088, with minimal dis-comfort. The key is to eliminate all seams and assure you've got wicking materials next to your body. I also use Silver Eagle Outfitters cooling vest and long sleve micro fiber shirt.

bike R1150RT '03

When your tired take a nap at the Iron Butt motel. I tried to go as far as possible ride gas and repeat until i finally gave in to fatuige 14.5 hours later. I had over 800 miles and could have paced myself much better.

I too prefer a loop. and while i've qualified for the Saddle Sore I've not taken the time to submit any paperwork.

Enjoy the ride and stay off the superslabs - it's a much more memorable ride....

Be safe...

Ksmith57

Rally Rat

Seat

I have both the sheepskin and the Airhawk. Had bought the latter for my wife on the Ultra, and we never did get to try it out. will probably post it for sale one of these days,
    Despite all the negative press, I am going to try the RT lower seat for now with the sheepskin, and may try the beads if my butt hurts too much. I will resist getting an aftermarket seat as long as I can......

Smile

Put an Airhawk on my CLC 2 weeks ago, what a difference. You get to adjust how firm the pad is. It does not take long to find out what is most comfortable for your butt. Wearing the "wicking" type underwear instead of cotton also greatly contributes to ride comfort.

Ive tried the sheep skin and beads and I liked the sheepskin ok, or until it rained, but the beads are the only way to go . IMHO anyways
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Don't forget your towel
    Beads
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

I haven't gone to any of these solutions yet, believe it or not I have done several 300 km (180 mile) days and only started to develop MB after the 2nd or 3rd day. I did use the Gold Bond powder to help prevent and I am sure it helped. If you search there are some great threads about it on other forums (can't remember which one I read last year but it was a laugh). I am thinking about trying the beads when I can find some to fit my bike.

Don't forget your towel
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

+11ty billion....beads
    Doug
    '99 K1200LT, '03 Ducati M800Si.e.-SOLD, '02 F650GSD, '03 DRZ400S

Alaska Leather Co. sheepskin buttpad, no seam/no cotton underwear, and good airflow in those riding pants--now there's a combination for all day comfort on the RT....
    Chet, CMSgt (Ret)
    If it wasn't this... it'd be something else....

Alaskan Leather Sheepskin makes me sMile!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I have an Alaskan and it works well for me(works in the rain all day too)-I see no purpose in 800k days anyway!Once I have gone 300-500k my day needs to end anyway, sore butt or not! If you wash it with Woolite it bounces back nicely.
    I have a very short inseam and need to find comfort without raising my feet any further from the ground, so I am curious what works well, but in view of being vertically challenged too. BTW, the beads @ Whitehorse are on backorder until June 18th! I have a nephew that drives over the road and he says the beads don't work for him. It seems to be a matter of a bunch of factors, so an individual solution. It seems that tooling down the road on beads will be kinda "wiggly"? Respond to that thought please...
    Has anyone tried the guy that you send your OEM saddle to and he repads it-apparently costs much less that the other custom choices?
    I have to ask-what causes the BMW people to build a seat that is so uncomfortable to the extent that an industry grows out of their ineptitude?My German cars have very comfortable seats, both BMW and Audi, so where is the ergonomic disconnect coming from on the bikes? Having your boys jammed into the gas tank surely isn't unique to Americans?Have not some of you long time BMW types ever asked them ,JUST WHY!?!
    Last edited by kantuckid; 04-04-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add on

Beads are CHEAP. Buy some. Only YOUR ass knows for sure if they'll work. If you don't like them, give them away.

Sheepskins are $50 and up. Buy one. Only YOUR ass knows for sure if it'll work. If you don't like it, sell it.

Custom seats cost >$200. Get fitted and buy one. Only YOUR ass knows for sure it it'll work. If you don't like it, sell it.

The order in which you choose to execute the above three options is a form of intelligence test.

I have had both a sheepskin from Alaska Leather and beads and all I can say is be careful with your beads in a hot climate. I commute daily and do a couple of long rides a year. I had the beads on my 1100RT stock seat for about a year. When I took them off one day, the seat material was cracked under several of them and looked terrible. Don't know what happened, but it really wasn't pretty. Picked up a Bill Mayer seat on this site from a guy about my size and now don't need anything including the sheepskin.

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrider View Post
    Sheepskin was great till it rained and then what? Bought a bead seat .It lets the air circulate beneath your posterior to improve evaporation and in a downpour the water drains off quickly.It also lets U slide back & forth on the beads for a Cheap bottom massage. I'd be fibbing if I told U that it cured MB , but it reduced it considerably. Also switched to wick_away underwear.

I spent $$$$ on two different custom seats which in the long run only marginally improved my comfort so in my case the Bead Seat is a fav.
    This mirrors my experience, it is excellent for long touring days. I do remove it for a day in the twisties, as I find it relatively slippery.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60