Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which do you prefer..airhawk, beads, or sheepskin

Bryan

Which do you prefer..airhawk, beads, or sheepskin

Just curious out there if there are any opinions on which you prefer on your stock seat..an airhawk, beads, or sheepskin. I have an airhawk but it's not doing the job. In fact, it took everything I had yesterday not to lose my religion on how my butt felt yesterday after I got off the bike. For some reason, the airhawk isn't working. Need to find another solution without having to buy a custom seat.

mrich12000

Arrow BaBA

Have used a sheep skin that I bought at a tanners it was ok, till the rain got to it. Found it wasn't prossed properly; that why I have my new solo Corbin now ,Boy what a mess..
    Last edited by mrich12000; 03-31-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Reorganizing the universe.Ok it is done...

I have an Airhawk that I use for longer trips, and it works really well for me. I don't really inflate it very much; I find it's more comfortable that way, but everyone is different. While it's great for me, the person I purchased it from didn't like it. I also occasionally switch between the airhawk and no airhawk just to mix things up a bit.

Not an answer to your question; just a data point.

I had a sheepskin long ago, and while it was an improvement over the stock seat (my '81 R65 -- told you it was long ago), I eventually sprang for an aftermarket seat and was very happy after that.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Natural Born Slob

Since I know the sheepskin would get somthing spilled on it, a bird would drop on it, and it for sure would be rained on, and screwed up, I went for the beads, cause the stock 05 1200GS was murder!

And could not be happier. Stock seat before? Like I had a tribe of indians camping out on my butt. Aftewrwards? Like Maxwell Parish painted comfort and contentment on my backside....

Beads work for me, no complaints.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    My test results: best choice for comfort is a good seat, followed by airhawk, sheepskin, and beads. Of course, I went the other way, starting with beads, sheepskin, airhawk, and ending with Sargent.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Stuff2c
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    My test results: best choice for comfort is a good seat, followed by airhawk, sheepskin, and beads. Of course, I went the other way, starting with beads, sheepskin, airhawk, and ending with Sargent.
    +1
    even with the Sargent on REAL long rides I use the airhawk and almost always use the "alaska leather"

The plastic beaded seatcover (that I purchased in Taipei after riding in a taxi completely covered in them) is great! I have done ten or twelve one-thousand-mile-days on it, including one offroad. Wiggle around for a quick butt-massage and to activate an entirely new set of pressure points. Airflow and rain are never a problem.

Nothing made the stocker worth keeping. After just 45 minutes I got serious monkey-butt, and anything more than 150 miles (give or take a couple of hours) was pure torture. I tried an Alaska Sheepskin, and it helped a bit, but it didn't do enough to solve the problem. I'm on a Sargent now. With the Sargent, 200 mile rides are great, and 400 mile days are fine. At 300 miles I start to feel the hint of monkey butt, but its still fine up to 400 miles, and its nothing compared to the pain of the stocker. Still, though, I wouldn't want to do a Saddle Sore 1K on it.

BTW, if I lived nearer the west coast I'd ride out to Russell, Rich's, or one of the Mayers for a custom job. But the Sargent is fine for 98% of my riding, and beats stocker by a mile.

BTW, I have a buddy who swears by beads. I've considered getting beads for rides that I know will reach 300+ miles. After all, 10,000 NY cab drivers can't be wrong.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Personally? None of the above.

Depends on what bike you are outfitting. For an RT, I prefer Rick Mayer's saddles in leather with nothing over it.

Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

SweetT
    Stop wearing cotton underwear. That will make a big difference. I also used the beads with much success for several thousand miles. I think the beaded seat cover has the best price/comfort ratio.

Gopheride

LD riding comfort

Sheepskin was great till it rained and then what? Bought a bead seat .It lets the air circulate beneath your posterior to improve evaporation and in a downpour the water drains off quickly.It also lets U slide back & forth on the beads for a Cheap bottom massage. I'd be fibbing if I told U that it cured MB , but it reduced it considerably. Also switched to wick_away underwear.

I spent $$$$ on two different custom seats which in the long run only marginally improved my comfort so in my case the Bead Seat is a fav.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    After all, 10,000 NY cab drivers can't be wrong.
    They don't ride motorcycles.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

seat comfort

the stock seat on my 99 RT was murder. good for about 50 miles. I bought an Airhawk, and it did help but not a cure. then I found a Sargent on e-bay, and so far so good. when I head to Gillette, I'll take the airHawk along.

cruise_carter
    Have used beads on my last 3 bikes.

Will continue with them, even with a Corbin on my current bike.

Dale