Thread: Boatload of new F650GSes runs aground

Boatload of new F650GSes runs aground

I was at the dealer yesterday and they said they were told by BMW Canada that their initial allocation of F650GSes was on a ship that had run aground in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Supposedly there were 5 tugs trying to free it to no avail. Dealer said they were glad they hadn't scheduled an introductory event since there is no idea when the ship will be freed.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Cochrane GS Rider
    NW of Cochrane Alberta in the foothills of the Rockies
    Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    I was at the dealer yesterday and they said they were told by BMW Canada that their initial allocation of F650GSes was on a ship that had run aground in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Supposedly there were 5 tugs trying to free it to no avail. Dealer said they were glad they hadn't scheduled an introductory event since there is no idea when the ship will be freed.
    I guess this explains why the dealer has not called about delivery of my wifes new 650 gs Twin.....Has anyone seen anything on this in the news? I couldn't find anything

I guess the Touratech parts we have ordered may make it here before the bike (LOL, its like watching 2 turtles racing...)

Last edited by 32232; 03-31-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: broken link
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

I'm hoping that my wifes F800ST isn't stranded on that ship. But given her track record at ordering new bikes, it probably is. Her Bonneville was delayed when the Triumph factory burned down.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

My bike on this ship as well. A crane is unloading about 400 conainers to lighten the load so that it can make it's way to Montreal for unloading.

Keep your fingers crossed!

My bike is on a ship and my dad's is on a pedestal at our new BMW dealer in Ottawa.

Have fun.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Cochrane GS Rider
    NW of Cochrane Alberta in the foothills of the Rockies

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    I'm hoping that my wifes F800ST isn't stranded on that ship. But given her track record at ordering new bikes, it probably is. Her Bonneville was delayed when the Triumph factory burned down.
    So does this mean your wife is taking responsibility for this one? http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I was working in France last year when the container ship lost some sea cans and they floated to British shoreline - some contained BMW bikes, there were pictures of guys wheeling off brand new bikes.

I think BMW needs to look at another shipping company.....

The great lakes' water levels are at an all time low.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/us/14lakes.html
    Let's hope that when all the snow up there melts this spring it fills them back up.

More than 2 billion gallons a day of water is diverted from Lake Michigan to Chicago and northern Illinois for water supplies there.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    The great lakes' water levels are at an all time low.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/us/14lakes.html
    Let's hope that when all the snow up there melts this spring it fills them back up.

More than 2 billion gallons a day of water is diverted from Lake Michigan to Chicago and northern Illinois for water supplies there.
    It is not inconceivable that one day the St. Lawrence will run like the Rio Grande when more and more of the Great Lakes water in siphoned off to slake the thirst of cities and agriculture in the Midwest and Southwest of the US.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

They have removed about 7000 tonnes from the ship. Low water levels on the St-Lawrence are preventing it from leaving. Seems like the end of the week before they try again.

From www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles

Not sure if BMW Canada will try to recoup it's shipping charges.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.