Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Washing Textile Gear

Quote Originally Posted by jcridge View Post
    Gentle hand washing or a front load washer on gentle or normal cycle. What is the general concenses here on which to use.
    Well since some are "so concerned" about what they might do to their suits, I'm surprised they don't just soak their suits in a laundry tub, which is what I have done since I bought my first Aerostich suit in 1992...and still have. I wonder how many have suits that have been used for 12 years that are still as good as new?

And the reason it still looks new is because it hasn't been beat to death in any washer. As mentioned, I only use the spin cycle on my suit.

I guess there are many definitions of dirty. Dust/dirt/bugs on a suit; any product will wash out. My red suit gets exposed to lots of diesel fumes while riding in Europe and the water in my laundry tub is near pitch black after soaking and hand agitating it over a few hours. I doubt your average detergent would get it as clean as new. Tide almost did. Shout does!

Gore-Tex says...

Jeez...here are your answers right from Gore-Tex themselves...

Link to: Gore-Tex Outerwear Care

Wash
    • Machine-wash warm (104?? F/40?? C). Powder or liquid detergent. No fabric softener. Follow manufacturer's instructions.

Bleach
    • No chlorine bleach. It may damage your garment.

Stain Removal
    • Use a pre-wash treatment such as Shout?« or Spray 'n Wash?«, following its manufacturer's instructions. Rinse well.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what companies with interests have been leading us down that other road.

I own two textile jackets: a Cortech Lite which I wear in winter, and a First Gear Mesh Tex. On rare occasions I'll scrape stuff off. Usually on the mesh jacket because the guts from large bugs get into the mesh, etc... Every couple of years I'll hang it up and whack it a few times to knock dust & crap off. A 9-iron works well.

I'm sure its bad for the jackets and makes them ineffective. But I've only had the mesh jacket for six years and the Cortech for four, so maybe there hasn't been enough time to know for sure.
    Last edited by mistercindy; 04-02-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

jcridge
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Jeez...here are your answers right from Gore-Tex themselves...

Link to: Gore-Tex Outerwear Care

Wash
    • Machine-wash warm (104?? F/40?? C). Powder or liquid detergent. No fabric softener. Follow manufacturer's instructions.

Bleach
    • No chlorine bleach. It may damage your garment.

Stain Removal
    • Use a pre-wash treatment such as Shout?« or Spray 'n Wash?«, following its manufacturer's instructions. Rinse well.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what companies with interests have been leading us down that other road.
    Great Link, you forgot one item from their site:

WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
    Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments as they can affect the garment's breathability.

The wash-in treatment as in Nikwax's TX-Direct.....?

On Nikwax's site they have a product call TX-Direct Spray-on which sounds like what Gore-Tex is talking about when they say to apply a DWR treatment after washing.
    Is this the one most are refering to?

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    or claims not to use this, not to use that...please show me some proof in the way of a bulletin and preferably not from a company with a vested interest like Nikwax. Yes, they make good stuff; I use their Map Proof and their Aqueous Wax on my Asolo hiking boots, but I draw the line on their Tech Wash and TX.Direct Wash In...just a bit too pricey for me, at least up here it is.
    Rinse, rinse and rinse!
    My Grandma was a thrifty German and Grandpa was a tight fisted Scottish man and I have genes from both. I bought the Nikwax wash and the TX Direct "Wash in" from Aerostich upon the recommendation of Boxer Grrle. I have not been sorry. I no longer look for a place to stop to don raingear at the appearance of the first ominous cloud I see. My cordura nylon coat and pants keep me nice and dry. Best money I ever spent on cycle gear.
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

Quote Originally Posted by jcridge View Post
    Great Link, you forgot one item from their site:

WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
    Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments as they can affect the garment's breathability.

The wash-in treatment as in Nikwax's TX-Direct.....?

On Nikwax's site they have a product call TX-Direct Spray-on which sounds like what Gore-Tex is talking about when they say to apply a DWR treatment after washing.
    Is this the one most are refering to?
    Well the post was more about "washing" than anything, but thanks for making note of that. I just mentioned that I choose to use 3M Scotchgard.

Well I would use ReviveX Waterproofer if I wasn't using 3M Scotchgard. At $6, maybe I'll give that ReviveX a try...it does have the Gore-Tex sign on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    Cheapskate BMW owners crack me up. Will pay $25,000 for a new bike. Will pay $800 for a riding suit. Won't pay $8 for a bottle of detergent designed to wash and protect $800 riding suit. To each their own, but to ride a BMW but complain about a $8 bottle of detergent makes me laugh.

If $8 is too steep for you, better trade the BMW in on a Suzuki.
    What cracks me up are the 'devout' BMW riders who'll pay anything for anything, just because it's the 'orthodox' way of doing it.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

scqtt
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    I'm a bachelor. If I don't do it, nobody will.

Me too.

Priorities

Some things are very clean and organized, some not so much. My choice.

Getting lost...
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    We got a set of Whirlpool front loaders last year, and these things are brilliant. When you put your hand on them, you can barely tell they are running. The washer uses very little water, and the washer even has a hand wash cycle. The door hinges look like they were made by Boeing.

And they are teen ager proof.

I wouldn't hesitate to wash any riding suit in the washer.
    We've had one for a couple years now. They are great for washing gear.

Oh, guess where they're made, that's right, Germany (at least the pair I have).