Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sanitary Concerns

At West Bend the shower and porta facacilities were excellent. Especially the portas. There were hundreds of them (maybe thousands) and I think they were all brand new, and always clean.

John

Retired User

Talking The secret is out

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Tina and I call it "rally shower schedule". Last year, I never waited in line and had the entire shower trailer to myself every time.
    Not any more, you won't.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

Gillette crowded?

I don't think we're going to see a record breaking attendee rally in Gillette, however good I feel Wyoming is. I like Wyoming a lot, but do not see it going over the top in #'s, regarding attendees. Hope I'm wrong. Showers with 4 rigs should be a no brainer for most, Like KBasa says. Pick your times wisely...Don't let my statement dampen anybodies spirit to get to Wyoming this year. COME....Just most western rallies seem to shrink the size of the rallies just a little. Randy13233

Exceeds Standards

The number of showers and toilet facilities at Gillette will exceed both FIM standards and the recommendation of the Cam-Plex for the number of people expected. They have been well maintained at all the Nationals I have attended, and I will be checking the women's facilities frequently to make sure our high standards are upheld. Somebody else gets to check out the men's.

Holly

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Here's the secret to having a great shower experience at any rally.

Wake up in the morning and go riding. Don't shower, but brush your teeth.

When you get back in the afternoon, but before dinner, take a shower. You'll be clean and refreshed after your day and ready for an evening of socializing.

Tina and I call it "rally shower schedule". Last year, I never waited in line and had the entire shower trailer to myself every time.
    When you tell your secret and it is a good idea, you have friends to talk to while you stand in line.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Ditto on the late afternoon showers. West Bend was my first rally ever and I had the showers to myself every day. I thought they did an A+ job on both the toilet and shower facilities.

The only comparison event I could use is RAGBRAI which is a week-long, 500 mile rolling bicycle tour accross Iowa the third week in July. Between 12,000 to 20,000 bicyclists go every year and the portable toilets/showers really get a workout. The facilities are usually reasonably well maintained but West Bend was even better.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Quote Originally Posted by John Brase View Post
    At West Bend the shower and porta facacilities were excellent. Especially the portas. There were hundreds of them (maybe thousands) and I think they were all brand new, and always clean.

John
    Extra kudos too for having handwashing facilities near all the units!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Sometimes we get lucky.

Thanks for noticing........
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

I continue to be amazed at how soft and stuck in routine some of us are. If a morning shower is a necessary part of your waking up ritual, I suggest that it is never too late to toughen up a bit and get over it. A nice clean hot shower is indeed a wonderful thing, but if you can learn to skip a day or two now and then you'll appreciate those hot clean showers even more when you do take them.

Motorcycle people are supposed to be sturdy and resilient not whiney pansies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    Sometimes we get lucky.

Thanks for noticing........
    You're welcome!
    As a healthcare facilities inspector, I notice things like that wherever I go. I hope that future rally chairs are aware of the need for good access to handwashing.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

when this all withstands the white glove inspection of brian curry, THEN i will be impressed.....

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Ditto Holly

I'll be one of those checking the men's facilities. I know I speak for both Holly and myself when I say we are well aware of how important clean restroooms, porta-potties, and showers are to us all.

The first time I go in the restroom or shower or porta-pottie at a new campground, I feel a slight twinge of fear as to what I'm about to find.

We will do anything and everything necessary to make sure the facilities are very well maintained. Actually this isn't going to be that difficult as Cam-Plex has been absolutely fantastic to work with so far and their reputation for attention to detail is extraordinary. The porta-potties are being cleaned twice a day, as they were in West Bend (thanks Sue and Brian!) We, as BMWMOA volunteers, will be carefully monitoring. If anyone sees a problem please report it. It will be channeled to us and we will deal with it ASAP. There are 48+ showers permanently on the Cam-Plex grounds.

Gillette is going to be a blast, see you all soon.

Stan Herman; rally cleanliness chair
    Live this day.