Thread: India

India

Has anyone done any riding in India/Nepal? Interested in hearing about roads, destinations, gear used etc.

Watch this documentary.. It's awesome..
    http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by sreynen View Post
    Has anyone done any riding in India/Nepal ? Interested in hearing about roads, destinations, gear used etc.
    A friend of mine is there now. www.hendikaf.com Hendi was in Jasalmer yesterday. So far he rode 1000 Kms and said that the countryside is beautiful and the only bad issue was the big city traffic. He has all the latest electronics with him but for some reason his camcorder would not recharge but everything else does. Batteries are available in that respect. You will need a converter if you are going high tech.

I also have a contact in Dehli who is friends with the rider that did the Solo to the top of the world film. He has contacts among others like himself that rode the 3 highest mountain passes on earth. I am not sure if they ventured deep into Nepal. They might make you take school books to Tibetan refugee school children so pack light if going into the mountains.

Burnzilla he is a Microsoft IT Engineer if you need to go on a recruiting trip.

PM me with your email and I will try and get you connected with the locals and those that have been there.

PaulBach lived in IndYA, so paging Paul.

Here is an interesting read http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/cou...howtoindia.php
    Last edited by Statdawg; 03-19-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Rode in India many years ago but in South India - a very different world than North India. I lived near Kerela the southwest corner of India. Kerela was like the South Pacific's image - small fishing villages, paddy fields, sandy beaches and miles of palm trees.

Avoid the elephants which are very big and very messy.

State run guest houses are the best bargains in travel.

That is an amazing video. Not only because of the exotic and beautiful location, but done by a very skilled videographer with super editing. Didn't think I'd watch the whole thing, but once it started I couldn't turn away.
    Dan

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    The video gives new meaning to the term, True Grit. I thought Darjeeling was remote.

Visit, www.ukgers.co.uk and look for Colesyboy.
    He and his girlfriend/wife, got wed on trip, bought my old GS Adv and rode it from London to India, then through Loas, Vietnam and Cambodia. He has lots of very good info.

Riding in India

I rode there (2 up, w/girlfriend) on an R75/5 that we picked up at the factory in Munich; roads are crowded (trucks, busses, cows, pedestrians, oxcarts, bicycles) and it's an experience I treasure; the scenery, the people, the religiosity, all are both charming and sometimes very frustration.

Go for it!!!