We're beginning to thaw! While winter no doubt still holds some in its icy grip, signs of spring abound. Now we can finally get out a ride, and perhaps take a few pictures for a new photo challenge. To that end, please allow me to remind you of these simple rules:
- Photos must be shot between Fri. 03/14/08 and Sun. 03/23/08--10 days.
- You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
- No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
- Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
- Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo. You may post more than one photo, but try to keep it to a handful.
- Title your photo so it can be referred to later.
- Post two or three of your best photos in this thread. Please post series, experiments, and photos for comment and criticism in the PHOTO COMMENTARY thread.
- And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.
This week's theme: "Unexpected Beauty"
This week's theme was suggested by Bob Rippy, MLS2GO--and much appreciated. The idea is to photographic beauty where you might least expect to find it.
Shakespeare wrote that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Joyce went further to define proper art as that which "does not pull the observer toward it or push the observer away from it, but rather holds them still in aesthetic arrest of the moment."
Where can you find unexpected beauty?
Remember Ansel Adam's admonition, "You don't take a photograph, you make it."
As you hunt for your perfect subject, bear in mind some of the principles we've been working on:
- Rule of thirds
- Think foregrounds
- Shooting during the "golden hours"
- Look for a focal point
- Consider a high or lower vantage point
- Seek diagonal lines
- Frame your subject
Thanks again to Bob for suggesting this week's theme. If you have a theme to suggest, please feel free to PM me or Rocketman.
NOTE: Please use the COMMENTARY THREAD to post multiple efforts and to discuss techniques, ask questions, make comments, etc. Please reserve this thread to post one or two of your final efforts, the photos you're really proud of and want feedback on. Thanks!
Now get out there and find beauty!