Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tell Us of 2008 Trip Plans

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar

Cross continent 2/3

I'll load up the R100RS with some clothes, camping gear, espresso maker a few cigars (yup, cubans because we can), my camera and leave Ontario and head over top of the Lakes and angle down slowly to Gillette. In Gillette I am meeting 2 other airhead-riding friends making their way from Vancouver. Once we are done with the Rally we'll head back towards Vancouver (BC) with the exact route probably decided the morning we leave.

My girlfriend will be surfing in Tofino so I'll meet her in Vancouver and we'll suit up for a ride back across the Rockies through BC. The current plan is to drop her off in Calgary where she will fly home and I'll keep on truckin' back towards Ontario. I think I'll loop a bit north through the Prairies and drop down through Northern Ontario.

Being from Halifax, but now living in Ontario, I feel a bit ripped off that I am not doing a true trans-continental and back, but at 8800 estimated kilometers it is still shaping up for a good trip.

A second mini-trip will be the RA rally in Michigan Upper Peninsula this June. I had already planned to do a loop around Lake Huron and the rally is only a few miles further so ta-dah that's my second trip.

Best wishes to everyone out there this summer on two wheels! I'll wave!
    g r a n t

Hope I can pull this off.
    Round trip from Milw. to Tucson,Las Vegas, Albuquerue and back home in late April thru early May.
    The R/A at Houghton-Hancock MI. in June.
    The MOA and maybe the Lunatic Fringe in July.
    The Wi. Dells Rally in September.
    I Hope I can squeze a trip to Seattle, Oregon and down the coast stopping in Vegas again before riding back home in fall.
    All this on my new RT that I pick up on Saturday. Yippee!

BobMielke
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantMacEachern View Post
    I'll load up the R100RS with some clothes, camping gear, espresso maker a few cigars (yup, cubans because we can), my camera and leave Ontario and head over top of the Lakes and angle down slowly to Gillette. In Gillette I am meeting 2 other airhead-riding friends making their way from Vancouver. Once we are done with the Rally we'll head back towards Vancouver (BC) with the exact route probably decided the morning we leave.

My girlfriend will be surfing in Tofino so I'll meet her in Vancouver and we'll suit up for a ride back across the Rockies through BC. The current plan is to drop her off in Calgary where she will fly home and I'll keep on truckin' back towards Ontario. I think I'll loop a bit north through the Prairies and drop down through Northern Ontario.

Being from Halifax, but now living in Ontario, I feel a bit ripped off that I am not doing a true trans-continental and back, but at 8800 estimated kilometers it is still shaping up for a good trip.

A second mini-trip will be the RA rally in Michigan Upper Peninsula this June. I had already planned to do a loop around Lake Huron and the rally is only a few miles further so ta-dah that's my second trip.

Best wishes to everyone out there this summer on two wheels! I'll wave!
    Ahhh Vacouver. Do these look familiar to you Grant? I've only been to Canada once and remember the trip fondly.

The one I am REALLY looking forward to this year is Patagonia in December.
    A higher resolution version of this shot is my desktop wallpaper.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by flash412 View Post
    The one I am REALLY looking forward to this year is Patagonia in December.
    A higher resolution version of this shot is my desktop wallpaper.

now that picture I like very much. I wish myself such success in my own ventures with a camera. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I hope to do the Blitz to Branson next month, although I'm changing neighbourhoods in late May so I'm not sure yet that I can work it in- but I really hope to since I haven't been to the Blitz since 2004.
    In May there is a Boxerworks forum-rally in Oklahoma. We've done them twice a year since 2004 and I have yet to miss one. Always a blast!
    In July there is Gillette...no need to say more about that!
    In September I might try to make the JailBreak In The Clouds- haven't been to that since 2004 either.
    October is another Boxerworks forum-rally.

That's just the stuff I'm tentatively pencilling in for now. We'll see what the year brings.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Gillette for sure, Americade and surrounding area, and Yonge Street (Hwy 11), once listed as the longest street in the world until the government messed with Provincial highways - it's 1,855 kms long, from the city of Toronto, up through the Canadian Shield, across the top of Lake Superior over to Minnesota. Other than that, we'll have to see where I end up this year.

Cheers!
    Dave...

----------------
    05 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar

Ahhhh, Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by BobMielke View Post
    Ahhh Vacouver. Do these look familiar to you Grant? I've only been to Canada once and remember the trip fondly.

Hi Bob,

Yup, looks like Vancouver. I lived there 4 years in the 90s. It wasn't till I left that I did the trip from Van to SanFran. As I passed through Oregon I waved, yes, that was me. Actually, OR was stunning. I'm thinking that the leg from Wyoming to Vancouver might dip down to OR and check out more of it.

G
    g r a n t

Jun 12 to June 22

2 couples, 2 bikes, and 3 countries. (maybe more - maybe less)

Self guided... .... German Black Forest, Western Austria, with a side trip to Venice Italy (Venice for our girls of course).
    Last edited by grasslander; 03-13-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    Jim Doyle
    Expert M/C road racer and crew chief
    Owner G-Baby Racing endurance team
    2013 ASRA/AMA Team Challenge GTL National Champions

bpdougd
    Quote Originally Posted by grasslander View Post
    2 couples, 2 bikes, and 3 countries. (maybe more - maybe less)
    Is that "maybe more - maybe less" couples, bikes or countries?

One Less Car
    i am heading to joshua texas, leaving march 20th, in the am. i had it all planned out on how i was going to go, but now i think i will just pack the bike the nite before, get up the morning of the 20th, have a cup of coffee and just head out. i will take 3 or 4 days to get there, stopping when my curiosity gets the better of me. i will hang out there for a few days, ride all over hill country with my mom, she has her own ride, and still at it at 67, then take a completely different route home.

Trips

Blitz to Branson

11 day trip KC to Jacksonville to San Diego (attempting first 50CC) meander back to KC

Beach Tour in Europe 14 days Munich to Switzerland to Italy to Slovenia to Austria to Munich Cross the Alps 10 times

A few other smaller trips will trickle in somewhere
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by codougd View Post
    Is that "maybe more - maybe less" couples, bikes or countries?
    Likely countries - depends on weather and sites.
    Maybe bikes - we found a hotel in Austria that lets you demo BMW's.
    Couples - probably just 2.
    Jim Doyle
    Expert M/C road racer and crew chief
    Owner G-Baby Racing endurance team
    2013 ASRA/AMA Team Challenge GTL National Champions

If the stars are in alignment and my shoulder replacement surgery goes well, I plan on going to the Salty Fog Rally.

My other trip plan is sailing for two weeks in the North Channel of Lake Huron.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Talking go east tour

Fourteen days Germany Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Poland Czech Republic, Germany, roughly a 4000 kilometer round trip to Dracula country and back.

I'd like to stay three or four more weeks, but the way the dollar is tanking I think this may be it for overseas this year. Local who knows, hard to get excited about it.
    you're never too old to have a happy childhood!
    john merrick