Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Any Word on Location of 2009 Rally

rocketman
    OK, well now that is interesting, looking at several sources, including the Canadian Embassy site it seems that all sorts of things are on the list, the least of which is DWI’s DUI’s, such as shoplifting, misdemeanor drug charges and a host of others. The Embassy site seems to take the most stringent view, (not surprising) the US State dept. mentions it as well, and both state that if the event is more than 10 years in the past you can apply for a “rehabilitation” ruling. If however you have passed an FBI or other government background check then you’re probably OK since those seem to be the ones used by the Canadian government, at least for now, they only listed one state that has opened their records to Canada, but I suppose more may well be on the way, probably the other boarder states will be the next to follow. So I guess it really boils down whether the conviction was criminal, a misdemeanor or simple traffic violation. 30 years ago many DUI’s in the DC area were not considered at even a misdemeanor, they just paid a fine and that was that.

Its interesting that so many lawyer sites came up and seemed really interested in “helping” you get the required documents. Live and learn.....

pretty soon we’ll need a passport just to travel across town!

“My I see your Identify papers, please…”

RM

Papers Please

Heidi and I reside in a virtual prision, Yuma Az. You cannot go too far from Yuma without having to pass through a Border Patol Check Station.

Sometimes you are waved through, sometimes they hold you while the dog sniffs around, they ask what citizenship are you, where are you going. etc.

Having grown up in the midwest, traveling at ease through many towns and states, I find this difficult to deal with.

We flew to Jacksonville Fl over the weekend for the IBA Pizza Party. Had to clear the Border Patol, then had to clear the TSA. Had a 4oz spray of deodorant, and they took it. Only allowed 3 oz.

We are always getting closer to a police state.

bob

ps we could do the rally in Yuma. Plenty of camping available in the summer, hotels, and lots of beer available. Plenty of areas for GS rides, not too far from San Diego for the sport bike crowd. Heidi and I will rent out the house for a week while we head north somewhere. It will be somewhere around 110, but it is a dry heat.

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    Just because a DUI is no longer on the Driving Record that your Insurance Company uses, don't for a minute think that the LE system has forgotten.
    You're absolutely correct. I have this acquaintence....(no...really!) His dui was
    over 20 years ago. (received counseling way back when he was 19 years old, and
    has been a member of AA for 20 years) He's ridden across the border several
    times over the years, and tried to fly in last year on business......had to pay
    $200.00 for a 3 day visit. He has spent numerous hours (and $$) attempting to
    get the DUI's "expunged" from his record.....talked to numerous consulates and
    finally submitted 19 pages of information confirming that he's "recovered" and
    leading a useful life...yadayada....It will take up to 6 months for the Canadian
    consulate to process the paperwork. They even stamped his passport so there's
    no denying it in the future. The last time he crossed (again for business) he
    payed an additional $200 for a "temporary residency" that's valid for 300 days.

Seems records are kept for a verrrry long time!

Karol Patzer

I don't understand

[QUOTE=advenbob;304137]Heidi and I reside in a virtual prision, Yuma Az. You cannot go too far from Yuma without having to pass through a Border Patol Check Station.

Sometimes you are waved through, sometimes they hold you while the dog sniffs around, they ask what citizenship are you, where are you going. etc.

I must be becoming a closet liberal. A few years ago the wife & I were traveling on I-10 through Texas New Mexico & Arizona. Somewhere in that locale (admittedly not far from the Mexican border) we were waved through a large pavilion where we were looked over by the Border Patrol as we drove through, never being required to stop for more than a second or two. I felt rather uneasy through the process & was thinking back to school & some concepts such as Articuable suspicion and Probable Cause. I am under the impression that when crossing an international border into the USA few "Constitutional Rights" if any apply, But driving on a USA Interstate? Seems kind of scary to me.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    But driving on a USA Interstate? Seems kind of scary to me.
    Maybe it's because there is no interstate anywhere near where you live.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Question

This is an unabashed thread bump!

Where will 2009 be? Where, where where???

Someone give it up!!!

Ok then, how about a hint?
    (and I know its going to be in the SE US of A, so I don't need the zone map thingy....)
    Last edited by osceola; 03-28-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Cause I wanted too!!!!

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I'll fess up...it's in the USA
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Well so much for Canada and Mexico.
    ... and lower Alabama.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Stitch

Talking 2009 Rally

Lets start a rumor that the rally is in Maine, and lets say that it will be held near Acadia Nation Park. OK!

2009 Location...

...Hawaii.

"During Prohibition I survived on nothing but food and water." - W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by gsmetal View Post
    ...Hawaii.

Shooot....thought it was in Vegas in the parking ramps!!
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    What, Vegas again?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

My guess

We are all going to Kenk's house next year; I hear the rooms are cheap and the breeze will either be chilly or full of hot air!

I've heard it was in Charleston, at least I think that's what I heard on another thread on the forum.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    I've heard it was in Charleston, at least I think that's what I heard on another thread on the forum.
    WV?--Been there, done that, didn't work

SC?--Would love to have one there but the committee seems to be allergic to heat.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.