Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Word on Location of 2009 Rally

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Depends on what you consider "East Central". But it will be in Zone IV.

And how do you know this? Or did I miss it in the mag?
    Marilyn Roberts
    F800R, R1150R, R100 Mystic
    Add about 1100 to my post count

How it works...

Quote Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post
    Just wondering if there are any word on where the '09 event will be held?
    All,
    Several years ago the Board changed the rally site announcement policy. Where as it had been policy to not announce the following year's rally site until the opening of the current year, the new policy allowed for the announcement of the following year's site as soon as all the paperwork and arrangements made, and not earlier than six months before the current year's rally. Said in plain English, after the deal for the site was done and done, and not before January.

This policy also said that the BMW MOA would publish the next five years of projected site locations by zones. The further out we go the less accurate those projections become, but at least they let the members know what looks likely currently.

Last year the arrangements for Gillette took much longer than expected, so the announcement was fairly close West Bend. This year it is likely the 2009 site will be announced at the April 19th Board meeting.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

rocketman
    seems odd that zone V is so small and III so large. is this based on population density? And even taking that into account I would have thought that IL IN Ohio and WI and maybe Michigan would have fallen into zone V if one is looking a fair distribution for access/distance for members. I also see what looks like a zone for Canada?

RM

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    All,
    Several years ago the Board changed the rally site announcement policy. Where as it had been policy to not announce the following year's rally site until the opening of the current year, the new policy allowed for the announcement of the following year's site as soon as all the paperwork and arrangements made, and not earlier than six months before the current year's rally. Said in plain English, after the deal for the site was done and done, and not before January.

This policy also said that the BMW MOA would publish the next five years of projected site locations by zones. The further out we go the less accurate those projections become, but at least they let the members know what looks likely currently.

Last year the arrangements for Gillette took much longer than expected, so the announcement was fairly close West Bend. This year it is likely the 2009 site will be announced at the April 19th Board meeting.
    Where would one find them published?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Where would one find them published?
    This is the area on the web site where the zones are listed: http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rallyprocess.htm

The rotation schedule has been subject to some recent changes which has kept it off the web site, and likely will be changed some more. Said another way - this is no guarantee, but as of now:

2009 Zone IV
    2010 Zone I
    2011 Zone VI
    2012 Zone III
    2013 Zone VII (central or western area)
    Greg Feeler

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    seems odd that zone V is so small and III so large. is this based on population density? And even taking that into account I would have thought that IL IN Ohio and WI and maybe Michigan would have fallen into zone V if one is looking a fair distribution for access/distance for members. I also see what looks like a zone for Canada?RM
    It does seem odd. Zone V is smaller than California alone (I'm sure both in area and in membership). Also, area V has a very limited number of places that could handle the rally. The locations that would make a good rally don't have the facilities and the locations that have the facilities are always filled with tourists in July. I can only think of two locations in Virginia that might have enough lodging and not a lot of tourists in July. That would be Blacksburg (Virginia Tech) or Lynchburg (Liberty University) while classes are in summer recess. I don't think Lexington (VMI) would have enough lodging.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    seems odd that zone V is so small and III so large. is this based on population density? And even taking that into account I would have thought that IL IN Ohio and WI and maybe Michigan would have fallen into zone V if one is looking a fair distribution for access/distance for members. I also see what looks like a zone for Canada?

RM

The Rally & Events Committee is looking at a revamping of the Zones. I have no insight into how they came to be assigned as they are now.
    Greg Feeler

This is the area on the web site where the zones are listed: http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rallyprocess.htm

The rotation schedule has been subject to some recent changes which has kept it off the web site, and likely will be changed some more. Said another way - this is no guarantee, but as of now:

2009 Zone IV
    2010 Zone I
    2011 Zone VI
    2012 Zone III
    2013 Zone VII (central or western area)
    There are plans for a possible rally in Canada?! Ohh... I'm not going to miss THAT one!

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    There are plans for a possible rally in Canada?! Ohh... I'm not going to miss THAT one!
    Although listed, there is not much chance we'll do another Canadian rally for some time to come. It was a logistical nightmare of the third order. BMW's Mobile Tradition could not bring their bikes across the border and return them, vendors ran into major complications with getting their inventories over and then back, the restored red /5 never made it across the border due to Canadian Customs issues and it took a month to get it back from them after the rally. The list goes on.

Canada is a beautiful country and Canadians are great people, but we learned the hard way that the best way for a rally there is for it to be a local production.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by NightNurse View Post
    My wife and I were in St. Louis a couple weeks ago, and stopped by the MOA headquarters for a visit. Ray asked if we were coming to Gillette and I said we couldn't but maybe next year's would be a better fit.

Jane very innocently asked, "so where IS next year's rally?"

It took ten minutes in the car to explain why everybody's jaws went

See you in Zone VI!
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Although listed, there is not much chance we'll do another Canadian rally for some time to come. It was a logistical nightmare of the third order. BMW's Mobile Tradition could not bring their bikes across the border and return them, vendors ran into major complications with getting their inventories over and then back, the restored red /5 never made it across the border due to Canadian Customs issues and it took a month to get it back from them after the rally. The list goes on.

Canada is a beautiful country and Canadians are great people, but we learned the hard way that the best way for a rally there is for it to be a local production.
    And it will be far harder for future rallies. The increased border security, increased requirements for passports, etc. will keep many of us from attending. The additional $100 or so plus the long lead time necessary to get a passport (for those of us that don't have or need one) would keep the late deciders and procrastinators from going.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    And it will be far harder for future rallies. The increased border security, increased requirements for passports, etc. will keep many of us from attending. The additional $100 or so plus the long lead time necessary to get a passport (for those of us that don't have or need one) would keep the late deciders and procrastinators from going.
    I don't want to be a smart-ass here but Canadians are always dealing with Customs generally and at 'rally time' specifically. Non issue really. The vendor question is very pivotal and, to make matters worse, our beer laws are sooooooo anal that beer tent activity feels almost fascist. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

09 rally

I overheard, at a brewpub near moa hq's, that Fredricksburg, TX. is the next one. Now, since this involved hand brewed beer, mc riders and third party overheard info.--I am a believer.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

that I should rely on scientific instrumentation and not listen to half baked truths
    and rumors.

floppp
    It is too bad that there are such difficulties in holding a National in Canada. There are many awesome places to ride and rally (the lower prairies excepted unless you want to drag race all over because there are no curves). The beer tent may be a logistics nightmare, but the product is sooo worth it.

I sometimes have more difficulty getting back into Canada that I do getting into the States. Last Labour Day weekend the Canadian guard (a 20 year summer student) just couldn't wrap her head around the fact that I went for a 3 day ride around Minnestoa and South Dakota without having a firm destination or purpose in mind. "You just went for a ride!?!?!"

Oh well, US rallies are better for me because it lets me get to places I have not been before. Best of both worlds.