Thread: Riding Guatemala

Riding Guatemala

There are a lot of people out there with a lot more bike and experience than I have. But I have been riding South and Central American dirt since I was 19. Thats about 300 years ago in dog years. I have recently started riding Guatemala while working some construction projects. Yamaha DT175 2 stroke is the volkswagen of Guatemala. The country is still a little unsettled, but is blessed with bad roads and volcanoes. Can't beat it. My plan is to ride the F650GS down next winter on the way to Ushuia.

The pics are the best I can do now. As I am still trying to figure out how to post them on this site.

Fritz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woah.

Use this: www.flickr.com
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Sounds like you know your way around there pretty good ... were you to have any questions I'd recommend contacting "Salcar" on this board. He lives in Nicaragua & if I have my facts straight has ridden every country in Central and South America ... could offer insights into border crossings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by inte_gs View Post
    Sounds like you know your way around there pretty good ... were you to have any questions I'd recommend contacting "Salcar" on this board. He lives in Nicaragua & if I have my facts straight has ridden every country in Central and South America ... could offer insights into border crossings, etc...

not only that but we ride the same bikes... BMW F650GSD and Yamaha DT 175

pls let me know if can be of any help!
    parked in Nicaragua after 12 straight months on the road, 21 countries and 55,000+ km... www.salcar.net

Salcar and all the others who are watching the 3rd world disappear before our very eyes,

thanks for all the comments. I am going to use this thread as my experimental learning ground to post photos. Believe me, I will be contacting my friends on the way because I love to go where the road is under water.

My F650 is not a Dakar, and it is not dirty and beat up enough yet. So no pics til it looks like a bike should. No pretty boy stuff. I have a H-D for that.

This is a pic of Dave at CATours in Antiqua Guatemala. He has a stable of Yamaha DT 175s, a KLR 650 and assorted other bikes. Good guy, great value, and a very knowledgable fellow for "shortcut" riding.

Fritz
    Last edited by fritzsampson; 06-19-2008 at 03:48 AM.