Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F650GS twin coming July '08

F650GS twin coming July '08

The saga of what they're delivering and when gets stranger by the day.

BMW F 650 GS Twin - Coming July '08

Delays in F 800 GS production have convinced BMW NA to order the new F 650 GS Twin as a logical short term replacement. Introduced in Milan last fall, the GS sports a 71hp version of the 800 twin found in the F 800. We are waiting for color and price options to be announced.

http://cliffscyclerevolution.com/Default.asp

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Did you ever hear about the F800GS that was going to be delivered March 1st?

And now a quote for Missouri's US Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver:

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

[Animal house cough]

bullroar

[/Animal house cough]

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Smell that?

It is vaporware... when did Windows 95 ship?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

confirmed

I checked my source and it is true. The F650GS will be available in "mid-summer" with an anticipated retail of under 8,800 including delivery but sans ABS.

I can't say I understand the decision as I really think this is much more of a bike for Europe than the U.S. Just 10 days ago the honchos didn't think the bike was going to appear in our market.

This could be nothing more than give the dealers a new model for the season to help with the wait for the 800. While the new 650 is nice the 800 is IMO definitely worth waiting for.

Not quite a GS, the new 650 twin!

I saw it with mag wheels, no spokes in pictures, so does it come with spokes for off road? If not, its a fine street bike indeed at 70+ hp in a 650. A real rocket, but I would love to see a dirt version of the F650 at 70+ hp. I do not understand a 650 and 800, same motor design without some major differences between the two. I see in pictures, the 800 is most probably the only dirt oriented one and the 650, a mean street machine. Not quite a good enough pill to satisfy the urge for the 800, I feel. Best wishes to those waiting for 800's. It sure looks like a hot ride. I could wait no more, so I bought a new GSA1200 and at least its not a new model release, not proven in the market. Been there, done that before. Randy13233

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Same engine in 650 or 800 except 650 is "detuned."

Tires and rims should not be a problem
    A chain is a chain

So it comes down to a difference in frame. There is enough productive capacity
    for a 650 frame but not an 800 frame.

There is a big demand for the 800 so market a 650.

Call in Sherlock Holmes for this one!

Jack Herbst

Smile F650 Gs 2007

Could anyone tell me the price of the package for the ABS, heated grips, and centerstand on the 2007 F650 GS? Thanks

jingdog
    I have put a deposit on an F650GS with my BMW dealer. I was interested in demo ing an F800, but he said they wont be getting them until the fall. However, he said he just came from a meeting and they were told theyd be getting the 650 after all. They are getting two of them. Im first in line for a 650, but I also talked him into putting me in the line (#8) for the 800 in case I reject it. It does appear to have cast wheels and tubeless tires (good!) Also has a 19 inch front wheel. Really it seems to me its not a true GS but rather an R type or maybe a bike like the Strada F650 of 1998.
    No ABS huh? Thats even more better! Now if it just didint have canbus and that idjit chip in the ignition key! Cable operated clutch (yeah!)

F 650gs

Hummm. Same engine as the 800, so same weight. F650 GS in July vs. F800 GS in September/November. I think I'll wait

jingdog
    650= 180 kg 800=200kg

Maybe it'd be worth waiting for an 800RS...

At the press launch when compared to the F800 more than one journalist (myself included) called the 650 a cheap 800. None of the stuff that made the 800 so cool is missing form the 650 to reduce price.

At the time BMW was confident enough that they were not bringing the bike here that while the Euro writers were riding the F650 we were hanging by the pool and packing up for the trip home. This was two weeks ago.

While I didn't ride both just from looking at them if you want to do any dirt at all (and I mean any) or any sort of touring hold out for the 800.

Personally I wonder if they are bringing the 650 over to placate the dealers.

i wonder if the cast wheels from the 650 twin will fit on the 650 rotax single? i would be interested in running tubeless tires, but not sure i want to get a first year production bike (650 twin) to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    At the press launch when compared to the F800 more than one journalist (myself included) called the 650 a cheap 800. None of the stuff that made the 800 so cool is missing form the 650 to reduce price.

At the time BMW was confident enough that they were not bringing the bike here that while the Euro writers were riding the F650 we were hanging by the pool and packing up for the trip home. This was two weeks ago.

While I didn't ride both just from looking at them if you want to do any dirt at all (and I mean any) or any sort of touring hold out for the 800.

Personally I wonder if they are bringing the 650 over to placate the dealers.
    Thanks for the insight Rob. What a great place we have here. Someone who has actually ridden the 800 and seen the 650 in the flesh.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.