Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F800gt

F800gt

Well, it started life as an ST but it has evolved into what would be close to a GT if BMW made them that way.

List of farkles: F800 Depot mirror extenders, Z Technik VStream 19" windshield, R1150R handlebars and Spiegler extended front brake line, Eastern Beaver fuse / relay panel, hardwire mount for Garmin GPS, autotrimdesign.com graphics set, Givi V35 bags and E350 top box, moto-LED taillight, with an Akrapovic TI full exhaust system waiting for some warmer weather for installation.

I want a bike that's handy enough for every day commuting but capable of two up trips as well. The stock ST is a great bike but the mods have turned into my perfect bike. Man, I love this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 32232; 02-23-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

ARBMWrider

Thumbs up Nice GT

Nice bike Dave...I like it. Did the top case mount up easy enough?

Very very nice. Now you have me think....... my wife is going to be so mad at me.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

ARBMWrider
    Your forgot aftermarket road lights! I'm roadtesting some Lumalink lights just developed for the f800....

Oops, forgot the Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs and Throttlemeister!
    Dave

Thumbs up Way Cool!!!

HELLO BMW...ARE YOU LISTENING?

Riding Like the Wind(some day in the near future)...

CHASMAN
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

How do you like the Givi V35s? My wife opted for those for her new ST intead of the tiny and ugly BMW bags. She is getting them with the silver lids. I will be installing them myself. How did yours fit up?

Might look into the bars too later on, she was unsure how well she liked the stock ones when she sat on the bike. We'll see after she has a bit of riding time on it.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    I hope BMW checks these threads now and then.

Great concept and execution.

From MARS
    Love the "look".

How does it "feel" when the bags get loaded? Have they effected the aerodynamics at higher speed, and what was the effect on the gas mileage?

You have created a beautiful bike.

Tom

Pics of your GPS mount would be cool.
    Nice job!

Luggage

My main reservation in looking at the F800 was the factory luggage. Since 1984 I've had five new BMW's and this is the first one where I thought the aftermarket had better bags than BMW OEM. IMHO the factory bags for the F800's are too small, too complicated and unsightly.

The Givi's work as well as the old school BMW System cases and are roomy enough for touring. The hardware was all a very simple installation, the only hiccup was the wiring harness was too short to reach both relocated rear turn signals. I loosened the rear wiring harness and pulled it to one side to reach the left signal and had to make up short extensions for the right hand wires. Other than that, quite straight forward. (Helpful Hint: black cloth hockey friction tape is a perfect match for the sheath on the OEM wiring harness.)

The top case mount was very simple: the universal mounting plate that comes with the E350 bolts straight on to the top of the stock rack. A Givi lock kit has all three bags keyed alike. It handles no better or worse than any other touring bike with the bags loaded, and waaaay better than any of my other BMW's when empty.

The GPS mount is very straight forward: a Ram ball handlebar mount, 3" arm without tank bag, 5" arm to get the GPS above the front edge when the tank bag is mounted. I'm using a Garmin 60CX.
    Dave

Sweet looking, great execution.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    My main reservation in looking at the F800 was the factory luggage. Since 1984 I've had five new BMW's and this is the first one where I thought the aftermarket had better bags than BMW OEM. IMHO the factory bags for the F800's are too small, too complicated and unsightly.

The Givi's work as well as the old school BMW System cases and are roomy enough for touring. The hardware was all a very simple installation, the only hiccup was the wiring harness was too short to reach both relocated rear turn signals. I loosened the rear wiring harness and pulled it to one side to reach the left signal and had to make up short extensions for the right hand wires. Other than that, quite straight forward. (Helpful Hint: black cloth hockey friction tape is a perfect match for the sheath on the OEM wiring harness.)

The top case mount was very simple: the universal mounting plate that comes with the E350 bolts straight on to the top of the stock rack. A Givi lock kit has all three bags keyed alike. It handles no better or worse than any other touring bike with the bags loaded, and waaaay better than any of my other BMW's when empty.

The GPS mount is very straight forward: a Ram ball handlebar mount, 3" arm without tank bag, 5" arm to get the GPS above the front edge when the tank bag is mounted. I'm using a Garmin 60CX.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Tom

Hi Dave,
    Great looking bike. The checker board treatment on the fairing looks very nice. You have done a great job of setting your bike up

Stop being so shy and get back out there and take some more pictures. From the 1 picture ( at least 5 or 6 more are required ) it looks like Givi has finally fixed the problem I always had with them. Their racks always had the bags stuck way out to the sides of the bikes. From the angle of your picture it looks like your bags are tucked in nice and tight to the bike.
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

Givi's

The V35's were produced by Givi specifically to fit close to newer bikes. I'd say that there is a 1 - 1 1/2" gap at the most. The new Honda VFR OEM bags are actually V35's. Here's an older rear view of the bags also showing the cropped rear fender. It's a compromise between no fender like the F800S and the original ST "billboard".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave