Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possible photo op this evening

SNC1923
    Beautiful photos. What a surprise to log on and find all these great shots. Particular congratulations to Voni. . . . What did you shoot this with Voni? Gorgeous.

I drove to a camera club meeting last night at the height of the eclipse last night. I felt strange not photographing it. This has been a horrendous week, just running from fire to fire. . . .

Glad someone made time to shoot this. Thanks again for the great views!

I used Paul's telescope and my handheld Finepix Z5. It was tricky getting the focus just right, but so much fun experimenting.

It was great to know it would be appreciated here.

Voni
    beaming
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

grossjohann
    Voni, you have the patience of a saint... I tried that with my telescope, but gave up after a few failed attempts.

Maybe it was the cold (15 degrees), or the darkenss, or the high magnification on my telescope, but I couldn't get the lens properly aligned with the eyepiece long enough to get an autofocus...

Here's my best (cropped):

Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post
    Voni, you have the patience of a saint... I tried that with my telescope, but gave up after a few failed attempts.

Maybe it was the cold (15 degrees), or the darkenss, or the high magnification on my telescope, but I couldn't get the lens properly aligned with the eyepiece long enough to get an autofocus...

Alex,

Note that that is Jupiter at about 8 o'clock from the moon. Nice.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

I went outside, set up my 500mm lens and sturdy tripod and waited breathlessly. Then a large cloud bank moved it and I couldn't even find the moon's location. Now I have to wait two more years before trying again and hope there are no clouds.

The Arizona Daily Star posted this photo today, taken in NE Tucson. I was in western Tucson. Apparently clouds did not obscure the moon over there.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by grossjohann View Post

I like the way Jupiter can be clearly seen as a planet rather than just a dot of light, very nice. Even has a bit of color showing.

FYI if you spend enough time star gazing you will start to notice the different colors of them, it takes practice and patience but once you become aware of it, I've found it adds to the experience. The colors relate to the stars temperatures and indirectly to size and age.

RM
    (junior astronomer)

grossjohann
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    I like the way Jupiter can be clearly seen as a planet rather than just a dot of light, very nice. Even has a bit of color showing.

FYI if you spend enough time star gazing you will start to notice the different colors of them, it takes practice and patience but once you become aware of it, I've found it adds to the experience. The colors relate to the stars temperatures and indirectly to size and age.

RM
    (junior astronomer)
    Thanks, Jeff.

I had tried a longer exposure, but the motion of the Earth blurred the image. I suppose I needed a motorized tripod to track the motion of the heavens...

crgrbrts
    Ben and Voni -- very nice, indeed!

What'd you shoot with??

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Here are some I took with my 300mm lens on a Canon D60 on a tripod:

Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Hand held P&S full zoom.

Sandy Becker, Rider Formerly known as Capecodbeemer
    Veni, Vedi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
    Asheville, NC

Frustrated last night by the clouds obscuring the eclipse, I went back out tonight with the moon rising just above the horizon. Used an ancient manual 500mm f/8 Reflex-Nikkor lens, which is the equivalent of a 750mm lens on my digital SLR. Tonight is a full moon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmwdean; 02-22-2008 at 03:20 AM.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by capecodbeemer View Post
    Hand held P&S full zoom.

Oh god you almost gave me a heart attack when I read your sig line! Ha Ha I love it!

Vini Vici Velcro what a scream!

Welcome to the photo phorum, hope you'll "stick" around for a bit!

Ha Ha!

Oh, almost forgot, nice effort on the shot as well.....doin' it with a P&S is really challenging ..

RM

(still chortling......) ho ho .....

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Frustrated last night by the clouds obscuring the eclipse, I went back out tonight with the moon rising just above the horizon. Used a 500mm Nikkor lens, which is the equivalent of a 750mm lens on my digital SLR. Tonight is a full moon
    Wow! a real stunner there, did you use any filters and what settings? That's one of the best moon shots I've seen to date. Shooting it when full is I think the most challenging. I like it when its at 1/2 or less as you can see the relief of the carters due to the shadows of the side lighting on the globe and its a bit easier to expose.

Lovely shot....

RM

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Wow! a real stunner there, did you use any filters and what settings? That's one of the best moon shots I've seen to date. Shooting it when full is I think the most challenging. I like it when its at 1/2 or less as you can see the relief of the carters due to the shadows of the side lighting on the globe and its a bit easier to expose.

Lovely shot....

RM
    Thank you.

No filters; f/8 is fixed aperture on my old 500mm Reflex-Nikkor. Set D300 to aperture priority, of course (no choice there), and used spot metering. Mounted on a tripod. Exposure was surprising short. About 1/160th, as I recall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmwdean; 02-22-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Frustrated last night by the clouds obscuring the eclipse, I went back out tonight with the moon rising just above the horizon. Used an ancient manual 500mm f/8 Reflex-Nikkor lens, which is the equivalent of a 750mm lens on my digital SLR. Tonight is a full moon
    Very nice! It required really good technique to accomplish that.
    Dan