Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fun with Polarizers

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Here is the similar view show with no filters at all. Compare to black sky above. I confess that I like this better.

One should be careful using a polarizing filter. As Ben said, it can turn your sky black. It can also over-saturate colors, causing then to become too dark, and can alter the colors. And, depending on the quality of the filter, it can reduce the crispness of the resulting image. I noted that my Hoya circular polarizer did reduce slightly the sharpness of the details on the motorcycle, such as the BMW roundel, and tends to make everything slightly greener. Perhaps I need a higher quality filter.
    I'd call this one stunning and/or beautiful. Very nice. It has a timeless feel to it.

What direction is the camera facing? East? I'm trying to envision this same shot taken during the golden hour.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    I'd call this one stunning and/or beautiful. Very nice. It has a timeless feel to it.

What direction is the camera facing? East? I'm trying to envision this same shot taken during the golden hour.
    Thank you, Ben.

Timeless, perhaps, because the motorcycle is 56 years old

I am facing west.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

rdsmith3
    The only issue with CP filters is when using with a wide angle lens. The sky will be unevenly filtered. I like the effect, but not everyone does. Here is a shot with a Canon 10-22 mm lens all the way at the wide end. No photoshop -- this is straight out of the camera.

Here's the same ship at Jamestown

Shot it with my D70. Polarizer or not, what do you think? I can't remember.

I'm thinking not.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT