Thread: Fun with Polarizers

Hybrid View

SNC1923

Fun with Polarizers

I took a rare solo ride through the Kern River Canyon (Hwy 178) this afternoon in search of some photos. What I ended up with was an object lesson in the many benefits of using a polarizing filter. If you're not familiar with them, polarizers are adjustable, dark filters that adjust the incoming light. They work best when photographing a 90 degree angle to the sun.

First and foremost, a polarizing filter can be used to bring out the blue in the sky.

I'm pleased to note that the self-cleaning sensor on my Canon 40D seems to be working quite well.

A second benefit of a polarizing filter is its ability to saturate the image by reducing or eliminating reflections, in this case, on the water's surface.

Kern River taken at 17mm (28mm equivalent)

Kern River taken at 85mm (135mm equivalent)

The third benefit of a polarizing filter is that it functions also as a neutral density filter. The dark filter reduces the amount of incoming light by two f-stops. This is true of all polarizers, though specific neutral density filters can be purchased in 4, 8, or more stops of density.

Why would anyone want this? Sometimes you want to shoot something with a low shutter speed in bright daylight. You can lower the ISO to 100, and you can stop the lens down to f/32, but sometimes you need a little bit more. That's where an ND filter, or in this case, a PL filter, comes in handy.

1.3 secs. @ f/32

2 secs. @ f/32

8/10 sec. @ f/29

1/2 sec. @ f/29

It should go without saying the four photos above were all taken on a sturdy tripod. A darker ND filter would have resulted in slower shutter speeds and a more "painterly" quality to the water.

Click on any image for EXIF info.

Feb. 17, 2008 -- Nikon D300 & Hoya circular polarizer.

The white 1967 R60/2 in the foreground causes the exposure to darken the sky even more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

rocketman
    Nice shots!

I discovered the G9 has an ND filter built in, reduces the f stop by a factor of 2 (I think?0 I used it a few times on my recent trip for some of the really birght daylight high noon shots. I'll have dig those out when I get a chance.

Love the water fall shots at slow speeds very nice effect.

RM

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Nice shots!

I discovered the G9 has an ND filter built in, reduces the f stop by a factor of 2 (I think?0 I used it a few times on my recent trip for some of the really birght daylight high noon shots. I'll have dig those out when I get a chance.

Love the water fall shots at slow speeds very nice effect.

RM
    I think it's actually a factor of 3 (3X). I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I was sure impressed to find it there. It's mechanical too; you can hear/feel a "thunk" when you deploy it from the menu. Pretty cool. . . .

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    I think it's actually a factor of 3 (3X). I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I was sure impressed to find it there. It's mechanical too; you can hear/feel a "thunk" when you deploy it from the menu. Pretty cool. . . .
    So you have new toy in hand, eh?

RM

Toys are good!
    being able to afford them.....

priceless

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Feb. 17, 2008 -- Nikon D300 & Hoya circular polarizer.

The white 1967 R60/2 in the foreground causes the exposure to darken the sky even more.

Nice photo.

Nice tankbag.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Nice photo.

Nice tankbag.
    I think you have one of those too, right Dave?

@ the Big Muddy & I-80 bluestune's Avatar

Thumbs up

Outstanding Tom!
    1976 R90/6

Polarizing filter

Anybody using one? Any thoughts on them? Use one for outdoors?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Last edited by bmwdean; 02-19-2008 at 03:11 AM.

Yes, use it almost exclusively outdoors. I love it for green foliage on rainy or overcast days. It takes away the reflections and deepens the greens. And of course, there are times I want a more dramatic sky, or more emphasis on the clouds, so I use it then, too.
    Dan

SNC1923
    It's an indispensable accessory. Far from a bauble or a gadget, it can have a profound effect on your images. Get one for each filter size you have among your lenses.

You'd use it at the same times as you would tend to use a pair of polarized sunglasses. It works most effectively when shooting at a 90 degree angle to the sun. And it does all the things Dan outlined above. See the thread Jeff points to for a number of samples.

I'm not sure if linear polarizers are even still available, but be sure you get a "circular" polarizer as it is what will work with your autofocusing system. Get a good one (Hoya, Tiffen) but you don't need to go crazy (B+W) unless you're a frantic like me.

Nikon makes an awfully nice one. Theirs used to take a dedicated hood, too. . . .

1024JLC
    Just be careful to not over saturate your photos...

My filter is on all the time. It protects my lens and does what a polarizing filter is supposed to do.

I think the most polarizing is the K&N versus stock paper argument.