Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: F800 S & ST owners...Overall impressions so far?

  1. #1
    It fell off when??!! KUTCHER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    377

    F800 S & ST owners...Overall impressions so far?

    So, now that you've all had your rides for a while, do you still have the same feelings?

    How is maintenance?
    Do you do your own servicing?
    Valve adjustments are supposed to be easer on this than the F650...right?
    How long do you have on one of "those there" belts?
    Would you buy it again?
    Best aftermarket contacts? (Are there allot of aftermarket products?)


    Been toy'in with the idea...Not set on it...Been a GS kinda' person...But I use the GS to commute almost everyday (60-80 miles) and a "road bike" that gets ~60 MPG and has a high reliability record, just might make more sense...?


    Thanks for the input.!
    Kutch

  2. #2
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,524
    You are being cruel, aren't you, since I have not been able to ride since late November.
    I will say this, love my ST. It's a zoomy bike. It's the bike I prefer to ride to my RT unless I am going a very long way. It's stock, stock, stock. No aftermarket anything. I yanked the rear fender is all, looked like it belonged on a GS or some other off-road bike.
    I don't have but a few thousand on it, so the belt doesn't worry me.
    I haven't had to adjust valves yet but I have to assume any maintenance on this bike is easier than a F650.
    The bike has plenty of zip, get the revs up and it chews through the gears quickly.
    Would I buy it again? Yes. You can spend less and get something similar. Time will tell how the engine stands up. One of the things that drew me to the marque initially is BMW's rep for longevity. I have two '07's, will they sustain the reputation? I'll let you know.

  3. #3
    Riding where it's hot! AZ-J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    2,586
    You had to ask?

    How is maintenance? Fine in 5.5K miles, just an oil change, and some minor fixes.
    Do you do your own servicing? Rather be riding, thank you, but some.
    Valve adjustments are supposed to be easer on this than the F650...right?
    See comment above on servicing
    How long do you have on one of "those there" belts? Belt is stock and looks brand new.
    Would you buy it again? Again, and again, and again, even an F800GS to go with my S, if it comes, and it is reasonably priced (with the US $ where it is, I am uncertain)
    Best aftermarket contacts? (Are there allot of aftermarket products?) Many good, but if a supporting member @ http://www.f800riders.org, you get a 10% off with orders @ http://www.f800depot.com. They have many good farkles.

    My bike's farkles? Not including OEM options: LED tail light with white lens, BMW Zumo, several tank bags (a few with electric connectors), Axio tail bag, RKA saddlebags (strap on and come off), front brake reservoir mod, Wunderlich lifter, and a few more I can't recall right now.

    Last, do I still have the same feelings? Nah, I knew I'd like this bike sitting on it at the Nov '06 Cycle World show in Phoenix for its light weight and LOW COG, but I never knew how great it could fling around twisties 'til I rode it up and down AZ 87 and Salt River Canyon. The run around SE AZ and SW NM was sweet too, as we went up around Alpine to Eager, doing our end run around the summer fires in mid AZ. It is fast, light, and more fun than you can imagine, until you've leaned it over further than any other bike you've ever owned, and still have room to go. I love it far more than when I bought it.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

  4. #4
    Registered User Herleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Port Orange, FL
    Posts
    52
    I've had the whole range of little bitty problems. None slowed me down much, most were covered by the warranty and were fixed in a short visit.

    I've added SW-Motech barbacks, a laminar lip on top of my 19 inch vstream windscreen.

    I wouldn't trade this bike for anything. Its everything that I have ever wanted from a bike. Its light, nimble, fast, and it gets 65 to 70 mpg.

    I've added the full set of GIVI bags and top box and have a Corbin saddle coming.

    I added a little power box to the canbuss electrics in order to make it easy to add things like a Garmin 2730, and some PIAA lights. I'm about to add Autocom bike to bike communications.

    The bike is exactly what I hoped it would be -- it'll be for sale when I'm about 100.
    That will be 40 years from now. I'm sure that this bike will still be running.

  5. #5
    Riding where it's hot! AZ-J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    2,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Herleman View Post
    I've had the whole range of little bitty problems. None slowed me down much, most were covered by the warranty and were fixed in a short visit.

    I've added SW-Motech barbacks, a laminar lip on top of my 19 inch vstream windscreen.

    I wouldn't trade this bike for anything. Its everything that I have ever wanted from a bike. Its light, nimble, fast, and it gets 65 to 70 mpg.

    I've added the full set of GIVI bags and top box and have a Corbin saddle coming.

    I added a little power box to the canbuss electrics in order to make it easy to add things like a Garmin 2730, and some PIAA lights. I'm about to add Autocom bike to bike communications.

    The bike is exactly what I hoped it would be -- it'll be for sale when I'm about 100.
    That will be 40 years from now. I'm sure that this bike will still be running.
    +1 on the 40 years, I'll just be 90, not 100. I added a fuse box too, and I run tank bag electrics with it now; air compressor, phone charger, lap top plug. My BMW Zumo is powered by the canbus plug for it.

    Let me know how you like the Autocom, please. I might want it or a Starcom1 to tie in the Zumo, a radar detector, and who knows what else, into a headset. Right now I use a blue tooth headset, it's OK to 60 or so, but after that: useless. I've also used the Starcom1 wired one, and it's about the same, useless at speed.
    I bought a battery powered Boostaroo but haven't tried it yet. Soon..., sick today (with fever and sore throat) so I am wasting away a 70-75 degree day.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    99
    I have 19,500 miles on my 800S. I haven't ridden much the last couple of months here in Illinois. I did ride about 20 miles yesterday as we try to ride a little when it is above 20 degrees and the roads are free of ice and snow; I wanted to try my new Firstgear Synergy jacket liner; it is amazingly warm. I did get Givi saddlebags and a centerstand last week and got them installed; they look good and will be nice. I had the dealer do the 6 and 12 thousand mile service; they checked the valves at 12 and every 12 so I changed the oil and filter at 18. I did the valves on our R bikes but I am not going to do it on this one. The only problem I had was before my 12000 mile service the bike died maybe 20 times or so but they did a computer update and it has been fine since. I have averaged a little over 60mpg with it for the entire mileage. If you could hold your speed down it would get 70 but at 80mph it drops to around 50mpg. I am nearing 400,000 BMW miles and this bike is as comfortable as any of the bikes I have had. I have done a 1006, 950, 870 and several 700 mile plus days on it. I am a little concerned about the longevity of the engine but I will see. I am not worried about the belt as it should last a long time. The tires don't last as long as I would like but that is just the way it is. I can't think of any other issues. I do love the bike but don't know how long I will keep it as I get tired of things pretty quickly; right now I don't know what BMW I would replace it with. I like the bar position of the 800S but might have to get a 800ST next time. Enjoy!!

  7. #7
    Registered User sapphire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Renton, Washington
    Posts
    31
    I haven't had mine as long as the other, matter of fact I only have 417 miles on it now put half the miles on it yesterday and today. I have had it since the day after Christmas and the weather finally was kind enough for me to finally get it out of the garage.

    The bike definately has it's own personality and is teaching me a thing or two about how to handle it (what gear it likes and when it likes it). I can honestly say, this bike handles better than the Honda 599 which I traded in for it.

    It is a smooth ride at higher speeds, handles twisties well, I am not fatigued at the end of a long ride like I was. I am not disappointed. I haven't added anything to it yet, but am considering a taller windshield.

    There are a lot of aftermarket websites out there, just type in f800st. Some of the BMW dealerships carry some aftermarket items, so it is matter of going into the websites and poking around. There was a websited, I think it was called Wild Hair Accessories (or something like that). They have a section called "what fits my bike" and a bunch of stuff pops up from windshields to lowered pegs.

    I like the bike, the center of gravity is below the seat and that is what sold me on it. I dropped the demo bike, but it never hit the ground because I caught it. If that would have been my 599, it would have been toast. If you are considering it at least demo it.

  8. #8
    It fell off when??!! KUTCHER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by riders View Post
    I have 19,500 miles on my 800S. I haven't ridden much the last couple of months here in Illinois. I did ride about 20 miles yesterday as we try to ride a little when it is above 20 degrees and the roads are free of ice and snow; I wanted to try my new Firstgear Synergy jacket liner; it is amazingly warm. I did get Givi saddlebags and a centerstand last week and got them installed; they look good and will be nice. I had the dealer do the 6 and 12 thousand mile service; they checked the valves at 12 and every 12 so I changed the oil and filter at 18. I did the valves on our R bikes but I am not going to do it on this one. The only problem I had was before my 12000 mile service the bike died maybe 20 times or so but they did a computer update and it has been fine since. I have averaged a little over 60mpg with it for the entire mileage. If you could hold your speed down it would get 70 but at 80mph it drops to around 50mpg. I am nearing 400,000 BMW miles and this bike is as comfortable as any of the bikes I have had. I have done a 1006, 950, 870 and several 700 mile plus days on it. I am a little concerned about the longevity of the engine but I will see. I am not worried about the belt as it should last a long time. The tires don't last as long as I would like but that is just the way it is. I can't think of any other issues. I do love the bike but don't know how long I will keep it as I get tired of things pretty quickly; right now I don't know what BMW I would replace it with. I like the bar position of the 800S but might have to get a 800ST next time. Enjoy!!

    Thanks everyone, especially the above comments.
    I like to see that high mileage right out of the gate.

    When you said "I am a little concerned about the longevity of the engine"...Why so?


    Thanks,
    Kutch

  9. #9
    Riding where it's hot! AZ-J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    2,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutcher View Post
    Thanks everyone, especially the above comments.
    I like to see that high mileage right out of the gate.

    When you said "I am a little concerned about the longevity of the engine"...Why so?


    Thanks,
    Kutch
    There was an article in some German magazine that worked one hard, and it suffered damage at about 34,000 miles. I think if I rode mine like they worked theirs, mine would too, but so far, no one else has suffered such and the euro owners who all have theirs a year longer; that is not what I see complaints on. The euro owners rag more on issues with ABS (from a few who had issues, I have not with some great quick stops included), older cogs than on US models, and other assorted things, mostly minor personal ones. The owners forum is at www.f800riders.org.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1
    I've had my F800S for a little over 6,000 miles.

    I've added:

    A full Remus
    Moto lights
    Fuse box
    Tinted Windscreen
    Kako throttle control
    An Elka Rear Shock
    Hyper Pro springs in the front

    I'm quite pleased with the bike. It may be my favorite bike ever. It's just fun to ride. Not the fastest or best handling bike ever but it's enough for the street.

    Maint wise I've had everything done at the dealer except I change my own tires. I'm running the Corsa IIIs on there right now. Love 'um.

    There are querks with the bike. Just like the big twins. IMO it adds to the character of the bike and most items can be dealt with rather easily ie the ABS. I just unplugged mine.

    To me this bike carries it's weight well, it's comfortable, gets great mileage, has enough power and handles reasonably well for a street bike. As an all-round bike I think it's one of the best ever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •