Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To Wyoming from the Southeast

To Wyoming from the Southeast

OK... late, as usual. When you write an article in December, by February you forget that you promised to post routes.

Attached are two routes described in the article. Hopefully, these are remotely correct.

Please note, on the SD route, I put in a few side trips to the Missouri river that may or not be paved. So if that matters to you, just keep on the main road, as the side trips eventually rejoin it.

enjoy!

Ian

Attached Files Attached Files
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

I recently read the article in ON. Very close to the way I like to mix superslab with interesting US/state highways.

It gave me some good ideas to build from.
    Mark J
    Merritt Island, FL

Talking SE Riders get together

Wyoming is a long way from the SE but the ride might be better if we all rode together. Any one up for a group ride. I am in Savannah GA.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

I am in S. Fl. and plan on riding the TAT (Trans America Trail) and the CDT (Continental Divide Trail), or parts thereoff , with a 'pit-stop' at the rally if time allows

Located now in southern Alabama near will be traveling northwest on the back roads at snail pace with my daughter and only planning on 350- 400 miles day. But I am interested in a group ride.
    Michael Johnston
    Founder: Veteran BMW Riders Name Change to: BMW Club Veteran Riders international
    www.veteranbmwriders.org

Quote Originally Posted by riderR1150GSAdv View Post
    I am in S. Fl. and plan on riding the TAT (Trans America Trail) and the CDT (Continental Divide Trail), or parts thereoff , with a 'pit-stop' at the rally if time allows
    dang... now *there* a ride to the rally.

ian

If Your Passing Thru

This is an open invitation to stop and say hi and camp at our place in the Flint Hills of Kansas while traveling to the rally. We are on a paved county road in the country. Plenty of shade trees, but it is rustic camping. If enough folks are going to be stopping by, I'll arrange for a portable. I'll be going to the rally, too. PM me if your interested.

Tom
    "Everything is something."
    '88 K75C, '03 K12RS, '93 R100GSPD '02 F650GS (all gone, but not forgotten)
    '93 R100R
    http://frommars.smugmug.com/

Tom - your middleamericaridersociety.org address in your sig line is not working when typed into a browser. is your site down, or is there a typo in your address?

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Tom - your middleamericaridersociety.org address in your sig line is not working when typed into a browser. is your site down, or is there a typo in your address?

ian
    I'll check it out. Thanks, Ian.

Tom

There! How 'bout now?
    '93 R100R

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    dang... now *there* a ride to the rally.

ian
    Thanks! I am looking forward to this, as I may have a someone joining me on this one. I usually ride solo, but a trip like this is better shared. I was going to do the CDT this last summer but the trip to Alaska was quite a ride already and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew..

Quote Originally Posted by thomasseigler View Post
    This is an open invitation to stop and say hi and camp at our place in the Flint Hills of Kansas while traveling to the rally. We are on a paved county road in the country. Plenty of shade trees, but it is rustic camping. If enough folks are going to be stopping by, I'll arrange for a portable. I'll be going to the rally, too. PM me if your interested.

Tom
    I may take you up on that invitation...

Quote Originally Posted by riderR1150GSAdv View Post
    Thanks! I am looking forward to this, as I may have a someone joining me on this one. I usually ride solo, but a trip like this is better shared. I was going to do the CDT this last summer but the trip to Alaska was quite a ride already and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew..

I may take you up on that invitation...
    Please do! It might be a lot of fun to gather up a group to ride with to Gillette.

Tom
    '93 R100R

RIDERR1150GSADV

Thumbs up

Kewl!!

don't forget Nebraska!!

Have noticed that most of the rides suggested to the rally go around Nebraska. Excetp for I-80, which is straight flat and borring, the 2 lane highways across the state are for the most part smooth, safe and very peaceful. So, when you leave Elmdale,KS, come north through Grand Island, Nebraska and angle up HWy 2 to Alliance, then north to Crawford, then wander into Wyoming. you will not be disapointed. I-80 isn't all Nebraska has to offer. JW

Quote Originally Posted by waynecyclery View Post
    Have noticed that most of the rides suggested to the rally go around Nebraska. Excetp for I-80, which is straight flat and borring, the 2 lane highways across the state are for the most part smooth, safe and very peaceful. So, when you leave Elmdale,KS, come north through Grand Island, Nebraska and angle up HWy 2 to Alliance, then north to Crawford, then wander into Wyoming. you will not be disapointed. I-80 isn't all Nebraska has to offer. JW
    I agree! Coming home from last years rally, I road to Rapid City, SD before turning South and riding Hwy 2 thru the Sand Hills. The patrolman that operates out of Alliance, NE was really nice. DAMHIK. I made it from RC to Elmdale in one day, but I don't recommend it as you'll miss too much.

My original plan was to ride West thru CO and up the western side of WY thru Yellowstone and into Gillette from the West. Then come home by way of NE, but my plans are always subject to change.

Tom
    '93 R100R

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by waynecyclery View Post
    That is how I rode up to Alaska last year. I was surprised by the views and it wasn't as boring as Kansas for a change...