Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: Free Association COMMENTARY

Not to mention I'm on dial up right now. . .

Voni
    sMiling anyway
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Not to mention I'm on dial up right now. . .

Voni
    sMiling anyway
    OMG, and you're participating at all! You must be retired!!

Check out the Slowskys web site!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Maybe a Blue!

[ I think blue is good too! And being retired is the best!b[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Becky; 05-15-2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: wrong color

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    Chill out...this is the kindler gentler part of the forum, remember?

The Free Association thread is like New England weather. If you don't like the direction it's going in, wait a few minutes, it will change.

I would share your optimism if only it were not the predominant poster who was the instigator and propogator.

There are two things I will always take exception to.
    1. Hypocrasy
    and
    2. Arbitrarily deciding what is best for everyone else, because it suits you.

Oh and
    3. Attempting to demean someone elses points of view by using derogatory and dismissive terms like 'whine', when your arguement has no basis.

This thread was set up as the place for text relating to Free Association for exactly one purpose, to eliminate text from the photographs.
    Now either approach the Mods and ask them to change the OP specs or live with what you joined in, voluntarily and in accordance with those specifications.
    Alternatively lay out what is expected of anyone new
    "You must not post any text until such a time that you feel you have established some form of priviledge which excludes you from compliance. This point will be when you feel appropriate and will not be questionable. At that time you can just make up whatever rules you like".

What was decided about including other people pictures by the way?

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I guess what I've been trying to say is I don't feel strongly about having rules for the free association thread because it is there for fun and I don't find rules fun. I have not gone back to look at the original post.

I think it has been assumed that we are posting our own photography...
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

I guess what I've been trying to say is I don't feel strongly about having rules for the free association thread because it is there for fun and I don't find rules fun. I have not gone back to look at the original post.

I think it has been assumed that we are posting our own photography...
    I hadn't memorised the rules. I hadn't referred to them. I hadn't known what an OP was, until it was brought up recently. It was bringing them to someone's notice, in public, that first made me look and that's why I thought "what a cheek"
    rule breaker, turned rule maker.
    Sure Torag is in every way a great person, but that smacked of hypocrasy.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Aw come on guys, it's supposed to be fun.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

rocketman
    What Gail said..
    the photography forum is (or at least was concieved to be) a place for sharing your visions of the wonder and beauty (and oaccasion oddity! )of the world around us

this has gotten WAY off topic, discuss the photo's in the Free Assiciation Picture thread and leave the "attidutes" at the door, they will be there upon your departure!

So please folks, lets not let in any "spillage" from the "outside" creap (creep(?)) in here, OK?

Thanks

Jeff

Here is the original post:

This idea is blatantly stolen from a number of photo forums, including dgrin.com. It's a lot of fun. Someone will post a picture. The next forum member should post another picture that reminds him or her of the first in some way: the subject matter, location, color, shape, theme, or other association. The idea is similar to free association in Freudian psychology: "I will say a word, then you say the first word that enters your mind." Instead of words, however, we use photos.

Example:

Photo 1: two guys riding their GSs off road
    Photo 2: children playing in a sand box
    Photo 3: a sandy beach
    Photo 4: a surfer catching a wave
    Photo 5: a rider carving the twisties
    Photo 6: etc.

The photos may have been taken at any time, but they must by your photo taken by you.

NOTE: In order for this to work, you must respond to the photo immediately preceding yours. Part of the challenge here is timing. Please do not respond to previous photos--only the last one in the thread. Responding to images further back breaks the continuity of the free association.

This works best if the photos speak for themselves, so please refrain from any text. If you want to discuss any images, please start a photo association discussion thread.
    I find that that descriptions, and other text detract from the spontaneity and creativity of the thread. The whole idea of this thread is to let the photo speak for itself.

I'm not complaining, I prefer the thread as it was intended to be.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

and all I want is the same rules to apply and be applied by everyone, that's called fair.

Peter_Krynicki
    No photos next week...I'm heading out for vacation in Key West. A week of snorkeling, Key West pinks (shrimp), oysters, Key West Sunset Ale, and a little photography.

Each day, to make sure I'm having a good time I check the fun-o-meter...

Pjk

Mongo
    OMG, and you're participating at all! You must be retired!!

Check out the Slowskys web site!
    You don't want to be using dialup on that site!

Hmmm. It seems like I have become a lightening rod for someones grist mill.

It seems Lamble has taken a lot of time and research to develop a strategy to enforce the rules, while singling me out.

The thread has been fun. I didnÔÇÖt realize the rules were so rigid and I donÔÇÖt think most of the active posters did. Lamble admitted he didnÔÇÖt remember the rules until he found an articulated basis to throw a wet blanket over the activities of some folks having fun.

The convention in landscape photo forums is to identify the place of the photo. I have used posted photos to plan trips to the place and as a result have found value in my lurking. I was hoping that would be the case here, however the game took me over. But I appreciate knowing what the picture is about and I get a chuckle from some humorous quips with the label. But that appears to be against the rules, I mean its like.. fun.

The thread was one of the most successful threads outside the vanity thread, post your mug. It seems to me it was the result of intellectual engagement and curiosity of where/what the subject was about. I think the root bound rules will keep the thread from flourishing, as it would a tree in a 5 gal bucket. If I would have noticed the restrictions I wouldn't have posted.

I didnÔÇÖt want to become controversial so I just wonÔÇÖt return. Hell, IÔÇÖm going to Baja to shot the race at the end of the month and IÔÇÖll stop at Yosemite, Mono Lake and the Salton Sea on the way down. I better pick up some 4gig cards, IÔÇÖm going to take a lot of pictures.

It was great fun playing with the active posters and my favorite was the bud series. See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by torags View Post
    Hmmm…. It seems like I have become a lightening rod for someone’s grist mill.

It seems Lamble has taken a lot of time and research to develop a strategy to enforce the rules, while singling me out.

The thread has been fun. I didn’t realize the rules were so rigid and I don’t think most of the active posters did. Lamble admitted he didn’t remember the rules until he found an articulated basis to throw a wet blanket over the activities of some folks having fun.

The convention in landscape photo forums is to identify the place of the photo. I have used posted photos to plan trips to the place and as a result have found value in my lurking. I was hoping that would be the case here, however the “game” took me over. But I appreciate knowing what the picture is about and I get a chuckle from some humorous quips with the label. But that appears to be against the rules, I mean it’s like….. fun.

The thread was one of the most successful threads outside the vanity thread, post your mug. It seems to me it was the result of intellectual engagement and curiosity of where/what the subject was about. I think the root bound rules will keep the thread from flourishing, as it would a tree in a 5 gal bucket. If I would have noticed the restrictions I wouldn't have posted.

I didn’t want to become controversial so I just won’t return. Hell, I’m going to Baja to shot the race at the end of the month and I’ll stop at Yosemite, Mono Lake and the Salton Sea on the way down. I better pick up some 4gig cards, I’m going to take a lot of pictures.

It was great fun playing with the active posters and my favorite was the bud series. See ya’….
    Wow, martyrdom and the injured party ploy.

It was fun and flourished before you started posting, it was fun and flourished while you were posting and I dare say it will continue to be fun and flourish, irrespective of the rules and probably because of the rules too. The idea is so good.

As I've said, but you've chosen to ignore, I don't care what the rules are, as long as they are the same for everyone and that if the Mod who set this up is happy to change to suit the majority then so be it. When you become the majority, let him know!

Enjoy your rides and I hope you get the pictures you need.

rocketman
    *sigh*

I hate to say it, but its crap like this that is driving the mods away....