Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Long Tours with F800ST

Hybrid View

Herleman

Long Tours with F800ST

I have a 2007 F800ST, equipped with GIVI side bags and top box.

I bought this thing to travel on, but have since had LOTS of people tell me that it is only good for short trips. Too small, they say, for a multi-thousand mile vacation.

I love my bike and really want it to take me a lot of places (I'm retired and widowed so its just me - 1 up).

Anyone out there doing long tours on an 800ST? If so, can you offer any advice??

I'm heading out in early Spring. and hope to make the BMW event in Wyoming.

Thanks

RIDERS
    You won't have any problem traveling with your 800ST. I have an 800S and have done a 1006 mile day. On one trip I did a 870, 750, and a 950 mile days. Last year from April to October I put 18,000 miles on it. I have had a lot of BMWs and it is as comfortable as any of them. So many people think you have to have a big bike to travel with and that just isn't true. Have fun!!

No direct exprience with the F800; however, I think it will be a fine long distance bike if you are willing to deal with travel on a lighter bike and its nuances.

My first 20 years of motorcycle travel were on bikes from 500 to 750cc's. World famous, Ted Simon did his world tour on a 500cc Triumph. An aquaintance at the U of Mn, when I was an undergrad, road a Honda 90s between his home in Kentucky and college 4 times a year.

I suspect your F800ST is a far superior than any of our bikes were for the task.

Herleman
    Thanks folks -- I'll keep you posted.

My riding is mostly limited to commuting, but I've done several 500 mile days on my wife's F800ST and it was no problem. There are LOTS of people who have ridden them from here to there (1,000s of miles) without complaint. It's every bit as capable as my R12ST. Enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by bricciphoto; 01-31-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Herleman,
    Who cares what the other people think? It's what you think that matters. When I got my first K bike in the 80's some of the boxer crowd said it wasn't a real BMW. Now the K75 is a 'classic' in some people's eyes. When I got the first F650 to arrive at the dealer in 1997, the same type of skeptics were putting it down, knowing absolutely nothing about them. Look at the loyal following the 650's have now.

As soon as someone offers one of those "universal truism" opinions like you "can't tour on a so-and-so", their opinion is immediately suspect in my mind.

My F800ST (with GIVI's by the way) has a better power to weight ratio than most of the boxers, outstanding handling, light weight, and is smoother than any of the boxers and some of the K's I've ridden. My wife says the pillion accommodations are more comfortable than the oilhead it replaced (including a 600 mile day), and I specifically chose it because of its small feel, which to me is a huge advantage.

There are a lot of people in this club with more miles under their belts, but of the couple hundred thousand miles I've accumulated on 7 BMW's I think the F800 is by far the best one I've owned, for my purposes. Your F800 is capable of touring just fine.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

ARBMWrider
    I'm picking up my F800st tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to some long rides. I plan to make it to the rally in Wyoming (from Arkansas). I'll be sure to build up to the long ride. Based on the comments, it should be a great ride on the 800...

Herleman
    You have all been very encouraging and I thank you.

I'm starting out slowly around home here in Florida with some overnights and perhaps two-night trips.

Part of the reason is to "shake down" the equipment and to be sure that it balances and stays attached.

The other thing that I have to work into is freeway riding. Right now, I tend to avoid interstates because they are boring but also because I am still skittish about having trucks blow by me at 400 mph (more or less). I have to get my skittishness behind me.

Finally, I am grateful for the encouragement, because the simple fact is that this is my bike and it must serve all purposes. I was worried that perhaps there was something that made the F800 inherently unworthy as a long distance tourer (even some of the other posts on this forum seem to make that claim).

I'm glad you all see it differently -- it makes me feel much better. I hope to see many of you in Wyoming. Look for a blue ST with a Florida plate and an old man at the controls.

BTW, the best part of the F800 is the 67 mpg on the highway. Try that on a big bike someday.

(oh, yeah, I almost forgot -- Sapphire, When I came back to riding after a 20 year absence, my first bike was a CB600F -- it was as close to my old CB550 as I could find -- and it quickly reminded my of why I always wanted something better than the 550. Great little bike for tearing around town, a horrible bike for touring more than two hours at a time. And it got 46 mpg on a good day).

Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herleman View Post
    Right now, I tend to avoid interstates because they are boring but also because I am still skittish about having trucks blow by me at 400 mph (more or less). I have to get my skittishness behind me.

Finally, I am grateful for the encouragement, because the simple fact is that this is my bike and it must serve all purposes. I was worried that perhaps there was something that made the F800 inherently unworthy as a long distance tourer (even some of the other posts on this forum seem to make that claim).

I started riding 5 years ago this week!

I remember my "firsts".

My first drop.

My first time at 55 mph.

and the scariest...my first time on a numbered highway at 56 mph and having my mirrors on my F650CS filled with a big chrome Freightliner. I can still hear the whine of the turbo today.

Trucks can be scary. Granted, I should not have been on a highway until I had more experiance. My uncle, a very experienced BMW rider and dealer owner said non chalantly "Just roll on the throttle and leave 'em behind." How I do that now!

When I turned 11, I came from camp that summer to find Dad's new BMW R50/2 in the garage. I started riding it in parking lots at 13 (supervised), and at 17 I became street legal. I have been riding ever since.

That bike was 500cc (493 IIRC) and 23 HP. From Southern Long Island, NY, I took it to Boston, Albany and home first, and then, DC, and Miami, FL twice when I was between 19-21. Who says a small bike can't be used as a national touring machine? Bless that now ghost of a bike, my F800S is just as capable, if not far more! If only Dad had not passed away a few years before I bought it.

I anticipate Gillette will be my longest tour on the F800S to date; I am still balancing out painful, nasty left shoulder issues two surgeries helped, but did not cure. I almost gave up riding with my old top-heavy, pain inducing bike, I could not ride more than 2 hours.

But on the F800 I have done 800 in two days with very mild not-lasting episodes, and 600 in one day w/o any. The key I found is to prevent such aggravation of it that it takes days to burn off. Unfortunately, six-years post-op the threshold for that still alludes me. I think that's because it is a moving target.

I will be trying to bring my endurance up between then and now, and my new Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover will help. It had its first test ride yesterday, but is now off the bike for city driving this week. In May, I go to one of our local MOA chapter rallies, and since it is in Heber, I will use the sheepskin for that 500 mile turn-around as a true trial.

But I hope to see you Ol Al, and many others in Gillette, come July.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Just thought I would add this. I rode my scooter on a 2000 mile trip. I left the K75 at home this time. I actually loved it. Sometimes I find that smaller is better. The photo was taken along the Blue Ridge Pkwy. By the way, my gas milege was about 75 mpg up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    77 R75/7
    78 R100/7
    93 R100R
    95 MZ Tour

BMW F800st mileage

67 mpg,,,what are you smoking???

Not a fluke.

Great mileage just like that is one of the reasons I love my F800S!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Dan McKenzie

'Tis true!

In a combination of city / country riding to work, I average
    about 56 mpg. At a steady 55 mph, I average about 65 mpg.
    This is actual measured by fillnig the tank and calculating,
    but the on-board computer agrees.

Looking forward to Beartooth pass next month!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herleman View Post
    I have a 2007 F800ST, equipped with GIVI side bags and top box.

I bought this thing to travel on, but have since had LOTS of people tell me that it is only good for short trips. Too small, they say, for a multi-thousand mile vacation.

I love my bike and really want it to take me a lot of places (I'm retired and widowed so its just me - 1 up).

Anyone out there doing long tours on an 800ST? If so, can you offer any advice??

I'm heading out in early Spring. and hope to make the BMW event in Wyoming.

Thanks
    Pure poppycock! This bigger is better notion is pure nonsense. Must have come from a Triumph Rocket III owner, or a Boss Hoss rider.

For almost 19 years I rode a K75 - 370,000 miles - competed in a few 24 hour endurance rallies and several 1000 mile poker runs - completed the Iron Butt Rally twice. F650s tour a lot. TheSuzuki 650 VStrom is a well respected long distance mount.

Long days or long trips are all about ergonomics and wind protection. If your position on the bike suits you, the seat works for you, and it has enough wind protection in the right places so your body isn't fighting wind, then 800cc is more than big enough to get the job done. And its size, nimble handling, and easy maneuverability give it a distinct advantage over a larger bike in many situations.

I think you need a better informed advisor.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves