Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Riding in Nicaragua

as i used to yell to my son...GET THOSE FEET ON THE PEGS!!!!

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

mrich12000

The road to El Rama

The road to El Rama in the Autonomous Atlantic South Region is pretty much perfect and it is 300 km loooong. It has brand new pavement, very little traffic except for a couple trucks here and there and it is an amazing ride. you go up mountians, villages, lot's of curves and breath taking views. I was to busy looking around that i forgot to take pictures. Next time I'll go I'll do a better job. But here are a couple to give you an idea.

from this picture you can see that we are in the dry season and everything is turning brown.

because the road is in good condition some people tend to speed and don't know how to drive

then we finally reach El Rama where there is a major port in the Rio Mico

the idea of this place/river, the new road and the port is to start importing goods directly from the US. right now over 90% of merchandise comes from Honduras and Costa Rica. Slowly this will change.

the vegetation, climate and people reminded me of the Amazon in Brasil.

here is a picture of people transfering milk from one side of the river to the other.... from a boat to a pick up truck... they move the milk with a normal bucket from the blue container to the gray containers that the guy is carrying.

on the way to El Rama you also pass over one of the tallest bridges in Nicaragua which 150 meters high. you can see all the kids with their blue and white school uniform.

and while the road to El Rama is in great condition you always have to keep an eye out for animals!

Nicaragua

Salcar-If you have ridden in Mexico, give me a brief general comparison to Nicaragua and an idea how much to rent your bikes-guided and unguided-I prefer unguided,thanks

C.a.

Great ride in Central America.
    Did you attend the 6th BMW Convention of El Salvador ?

Best Regards.

PS. Mexico and Nicaragua ?? ..... besides the size, everythign is about the same !!
    Ruben Tenorio.
    International Delegate.- BMW Moto Clubes Mexico.
    Vicepresident.- BMW Clubes Federaci??n Latino Americana.
    Ambassador.- BMW Motorcycle Owners of America.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Salcar-If you have ridden in Mexico, give me a brief general comparison to Nicaragua and an idea how much to rent your bikes-guided and unguided-I prefer unguided,thanks
    I spent approximately a month riding in Mexico. Started in Sonora and rode south to the Yucatan Peninsula and exited in Chiapas at el Cruze del Jaguar.

Salcar- give me a brief general comparison to Nicaragua
    Mexico is a larger country than Nicaragua, has more colonial towns, has unbelievable pyramids, great pave roads and a lot of tourist. I spent a month there but it was not enough. So, I'm going back in March and hopefully many more times in the future!

Nicaragua has a lot of similarities with Mexico. They both speak Spanish, have indigenous people that speak native languages, have great dirt roads and most important have amazing & friendly people.

There are many differences between Mexico and Nicaragua. The main one being that Nicaragua is still a virgin country with regards to tourism. You will rarely see another traveler, you'll visit amazing places that very few people have ever seen and because of it's past is more of an adventure to come here. Also, Nicaragua is considered one of the safest countries in Latin America which makes it a perfect place to visit.

Salcar- give me an idea how much to rent your bikes-guided and unguided-I prefer unguided,thanks
    the bike rental is $40/day. i can help you plan an unguided tour but i recommend bringing a riding buddy. Guided tours start at 5 days/$1,900 all inclusive (2 guides, moto, support vehicle, hotels, food, national licor, park fees etc.)

Please let me know if you have additional questions.
    Best,
    S.
    Last edited by salcar; 02-20-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
    Great ride in Central America.
    Did you attend the 6th BMW Convention of El Salvador ?

Best Regards.
    Hola Ruben!

i couldn't make it to the convention bc i was busy leading an exploratory ride here in Nica. I'll try to attend it next year bc i heard a lot of great things about it!

all the best,
    S.

PS Ruben estas tb en motoaventuras.net?

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Great report as always Sal. I can not make it down til early next year.
    we'll be waiting for you down here

outside my house/base

first ride with support vehicle

first break... red bull and fuel

ADV Turkish travelling around Latin America of a KTM 950 - Guest of Honor!

Dusty and happy canadian rider - Craig

water xing

curious young riders while changing a flat

gas station

a place to relax at the end of a riding day
    Last edited by salcar; 02-21-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Haydukelives
    Where are you located? We want to come up and see you. We've explored of 1/2 of Costa Rica via truck, and the bikes arrive next week. Its time to head north!

Quote Originally Posted by Haydukelives View Post
    Where are you located? We want to come up and see you. We've explored of 1/2 of Costa Rica via truck, and the bikes arrive next week. Its time to head north!
    I'm currently in Mexico. I'll be back in my house outside of Managua on the 5th of April. Riders driving through have a free place to at my house. Once you get closer to your departure send me an email salcar at hotmail dot com and i'll send you detail directions and GPS coordinates.
    all the best,
    S.