Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Panormas: Go W I D E

Airhead GS convert...
    Sometime above, somebody asked about vertical panos.

I've got three, from a trip down the BRP in 2006 with my then 11 y/o son, spring break, on the Airhead GS. Attached below. One is Natural Bridge in VA, just off BRP... other is a huge tree in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest in NC, near Deals Gap. Yet another is a a stream in that same forest. Weird perspectives on the trees, but neat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Airhead GS convert...
    Natural Bridge, VA was uploaded in the original thread, and didn't make its way over here, and s/w won't allow me to upload it again. Shrug.

Here's the other tree shot, also from Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. A hike to the top is highly reccomended. Virgin timber, big stuff.

Airhead GS convert...
    A m/c appropriate image. Taken at Watoga State Park, on our way to the BRP over Spring Break 2006.

The Widelux is cool for recording entire layout of a campsite in one swoop. Here you have bike, tent, table, fire ring, driveway. It's not art, but it instantly takes me back to that trip and that site. I try to get a shot of each campsite on a trip, just for memory's sake.

Joergen just posted a new page of interior Panos of the Starlight Room in the Waldorf-Astoria hotel that are incredible.
    Hope you like!

Mesmerizing. The ceiling shot is intriguing to say the least. I'm particularly struck by the general symmetry in his work and his ability to find settings with such rich, yet natural color, which seems to be beautifully enhanced by the panoramic format. I also like the seeming desolation in his shots, yet they are all in very active environments. I'd love to view a large print of any of his shots.

Do you know what camera he is using? Actually, I'd be interested in knowing a lot more about the technical side of his work--assuming it must be film-based.

EDIT: I sort of see what he's doing after poking around his website. To all those who think you need a ton of glass and a high-end digital camera body to knock people's socks off, check this out.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Ben,

I looked at your site, and I like your photos. I think as arresting as any is the one you titled Marksman.jpg. It's a grabber.

Noel

Thanks Noel.

Here's the image Noel's referring to:

Not a panoramic, but a 400mm shot from a campaign event of President Bush in Hershey, Pa. This is a member of the security detail scanning the crowd. I was able to shoot head on and while it isn't readily apparent in this low res copy, you can see his eyes through the binoculars. The weight and bore of the rifle barrel was intimidating!
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Airhead GS convert...
    Wow - gorgeous stuff by Juergen...!!!! Beautiful color, composition, everything. Wow!

When is he joining up? He's the man we need to shoot a group pano...! We'd all probably look better than any of us ever have...

Now that I've skimmed his site on how he does it, I'm even more impressed. A *bunch* more impressed the fellow getting by so much bang for the buck.... He doesn't have a fortune in that setup at all. My hat's off to that guy... Wow!!!!!

Marksman.jpg looks scary. Yikes...

Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    Wow - gorgeous stuff by Juergen...!!!! Beautiful color, composition, everything. Wow!

When is he joining up? He's the man we need to shoot a group pano...! We'd all probably look better than any of us ever have...

Now that I've skimmed his site on how he does it, I'm even more impressed. A *bunch* more impressed the fellow getting by so much bang for the buck.... He doesn't have a fortune in that setup at all. My hat's off to that guy... Wow!!!!!

Marksman.jpg looks scary. Yikes...
    Glad you like, Doug!

Joergen will be joining up soon... but I'll certainly relay the compliments when I see him for a beer tomorrow night!

Keep up the great work yourself

Airhead GS convert...
    Tessler,

Thanks, will do.

Something I'm rather amazed by (in this thread) is the diversity of gear for panos. Everybody is doing it their own way, and all are making neat stuff. That's very cool, IMO.

And not a single disparaging word about cameras, film, or digi. Wow!

Airhead GS convert...
    Originally posted this elsewhere. Deleted there, and moved to here.

Attached is a vertical pano, Natural Bridge, VA.

Verticals (at least with swing-lens cameras) need to have just the right subject to look normal. Something long and tall with no straight lines.

Funny thing is after I took this, I saw in the gift shop reproductions of a 100 y/o vertical pano of the Natural Bridge, I assume shot with a Cirkut. Exact same composition. It's sort of obvious when you're there, when you see the stone guardrail leading into the arch....
    Last edited by DougGrosjean; 01-25-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Correct an error.

Airhead GS convert...
    Interesting site I stumbled across. Shows step-by-step the setup for shooting those old-fashioned group photos, people in an arc, etc.... with a rotating camera. And then it shows the result.

Images made in 1992 in DC. Crowd is straight, but building behind shows the bowing characteristic of swing-lens cams.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collecti...o/pnshoot.html

I've always loved panoramic photos. I've had pretty decent luck with some of mine. This one was taken in Glacier Bay, AK in August. This is a MUCH smaller version of the original. You can see both sides of the shop in this one. It was a series of 12 images and I used a stitching program that came with my Canon Elf back in 2000 and I've yet to find anything that does as good a job. I also did a QuicktimeVR of this as well, but I don't have it posted anywhere at the moment.

I've now started to turn the camera sideways (portrait?) to get a taller image. I have now discovered I need to get a better tripod! My 50+ year old one just won't cut it any more.

Cheers!
    Dave...

----------------
    05 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

bensonga
    Here's a cropped version of one of my first panos (which I've already shared with Doug). The images were taken with a Canon 40D and the 17-40L lens. The original was made up of 5 images stitched together with Photomerge in CS3. This cropped version probably shows about 60% of the full width pano.

With CS3, it was easier than I ever thought it could be....and alot of fun. I hope to get out and capture more source material real soon.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

The original is pretty large, you can see it if you poke into smugmug.
    Can anyone identify this location?