Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: my first rally

i know the little 650 is more then capable as a buddy of mine has ridden his Dakar to Alsaska from our home town in NY several times. i am giving serious thought to putting a 45 tooth rear sprocket on prior to my trip. maybe i will swap out the rear sprocket when my bike come back from BMW (knocking in the engine) so i will have plenty of time to see if i like the change. several people recommended i switch the CC sprocket to a 15 tooth (stock is 16) saying i would like the added torque. it was nice but i really didn't care for it on the highway. i realized what works great for one person is not necessarily good for someone else.

the KOA campsite option is a very good one, and i had planned on looking into it. i am sure it is much more secure then some super 8 motel right off the slab.

i started looking at route planning and i think i will have time to ride approx. 50% slab 50% secondary roads on my way out. on the way back i had planed to head S/SE and come up through the southern states so as not to ride the same roads i took on my way out. luckily i have plenty of time to plan a route that will offer the best in terms of time as well as quality of roads.

maybe in, maybe out

NYTM-

I just bought a 2005 Dakar on Monday, and live in Monmouth County about 15 minutes from the Outerbridge Crossing. I am *thinking* about going to the rally, but am burning a LOT of leave on a trip to Mexico (flying, not riding, the wife won't ride out of country....yet) so I may not have the leave to go to the rally for the whole time. If I'm able to go, I'd like to ride out with someone. I'd like to get in touch off of the board to talk logistics, and see if we can pull something together. It sounds like you have a lot of stuff planned out well, this will be my first rally as well, I'm doing some reading on motorcycle travel (Gregory Frazier's book, for one) and think 2 heads may be better than one. Have you looked into the sherpa grounds at all or are you going to go your own way for camping at the rally?

For the experienced rebel-rally-rousers-

Is it usually packed wall-to-wall people or is it spread out nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by kneedrachen View Post
    NYTM-

I just bought a 2005 Dakar on Monday, and live in Monmouth County about 15 minutes from the Outerbridge Crossing. I am *thinking* about going to the rally, but am burning a LOT of leave on a trip to Mexico (flying, not riding, the wife won't ride out of country....yet) so I may not have the leave to go to the rally for the whole time. If I'm able to go, I'd like to ride out with someone. I'd like to get in touch off of the board to talk logistics, and see if we can pull something together. It sounds like you have a lot of stuff planned out well, this will be my first rally as well, I'm doing some reading on motorcycle travel (Gregory Frazier's book, for one) and think 2 heads may be better than one. Have you looked into the sherpa grounds at all or are you going to go your own way for camping at the rally?

For the experienced rebel-rally-rousers-

Is it usually packed wall-to-wall people or is it spread out nicely?
    It sounds like there will be plenty of room at Gillette, almost always spread out for miost of the Nationals I have been to (16).
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

That's a relief, coming from New Joisey, I'd like to go to a place where there's some room to breathe!

I'm going to check out these sherpa businesses, I'm JUST starting out to travel via motorcycle (have always done strictly day trips) so being a newlywed and new home owner, my budget is a bit tight. If I can save on having to buy a lot of luggage AND equipment, this might be the way to go.

Anyone have experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    This is extremely good advice. I like to be on the road between 5 and 6 (earlier if need be) and finish up at 2 or 3. Unpack, dip in the pool, big dinner, a few beers, walk back to the hotel and asleep by 9. YRMV, but this is a good plan.

Have fun on your bike and your trip. You'll have a blast at the rally.

The only thing I ever had stolen at a rally was my soul when Kbasa took my picture!
    Indeed. I try to pack all my junk the night before so I can wake up and be on the road in 15 minutes. I don't shower until I get to my room at the end of the day.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    I shipped my tent and gear up to the Burlington rally (all 200 miles away). Lisa and I rolled in on a Friday night and the darn thing was all set up - and we just needed to find it. Your mileage may vary.
    IIRC, you can thank me and joe for that.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Countdown from 2/14/08

At approximately 5:00 p.m.

Rally Countdown is also exactly 154 days.

Rally Countdown is also approximately 3,696 hours.

Rally Countdown is also approximately 221,760 minutes.

Rally Countdown is also approximately 13,305,600 seconds.

But who is counting?

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Anxious Paul??

On the security matter I can say that thus far on every rally I have attended, I have never seen or heard of things disappearing. Misplaced stuff yes, but always found by the owner(s). Common sense helps here too, as you should keep valuables locked (topcase) up or just out of sight.
    Have fun at the Rally!!

That's a relief, coming from New Joisey, I'd like to go to a place where there's some room to breathe!

I'm going to check out these sherpa businesses, I'm JUST starting out to travel via motorcycle (have always done strictly day trips) so being a newlywed and new home owner, my budget is a bit tight. If I can save on having to buy a lot of luggage AND equipment, this might be the way to go.

Anyone have experience with them?
    Careful, Sherpa tents are considered placed close together, though you'll have room out in front for parking your bike, etc. (at least with my service). I do provide earplugs though

I have typical pictures of setups on my website (url can be found in my profile or on the 2008 rally page). There's also a pic in the thread link posted just below.

If you are looking for a big clear area to yourself, Sherpa may not be your solution. Camping on your own with an area just to your own, you'll very likely have to hike a ways to the main parts of the rally, as real estate is a bit 'more valuable' closer in. This may even mean a hike to a local porta john, depends how well they spread those out.

For comments on Sherpa, you might check out this link:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...light=sherp%2A

There's plenty of mention of the service on this forum, you might consider searching "Sherpa" and look around for threads posted around about last year's event.
    Camping guy

I apologize for not clarifying. With my reference to "room to breathe", everything where I live is jam packed with people i.e. lines, crowds etc. I realize that accomodations will be crowded there, my question/reference was to the atmosphere, i.e. was it like being at a concert where people are all in one place or are activities spread out among the grounds-vendors, food, etc.

I checked out the references, I think this may work for me, now to calculate my leave status. . .

I apologize for not clarifying. With my reference to "room to breathe", everything where I live is jam packed with people i.e. lines, crowds etc.
    As far as rallies go, I think the MOA isn't overly congested, which is saying lots as it's by far the biggest rally I support.

I think generally, lines aren't bad, except demos (I believe you have to get up pretty early and wait in line to sign up), and i also believe the MOA coffee line can get long. Other than that, they are expecting 6k or more folks, so you certainly won't be isolated.

You'll get some crowding at the final ceremony, band stage, etc.

I've rectified the coffee issues for Sherpa customers, I provide coffee myself. Usually, there's no line there. I encourage Sherpa customers to shoot on site any non-Sherpa coffee poachers (usually no shortage of those!).
    Camping guy

Thumbs up For Sherpa Mayberry

Ted does a real nice job, loved his service in VT. Even though the tents are very close together, I recommend his service from a convenience perspective of not having to lugg all your camping stuff along. Unless you're camping on the way, of course. Most of the camping area becomes "close quarters" anyway. There's a shot from 2006 here. http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17793
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III