Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: my first rally

Rob Mayes
    Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    i have put 15,000 miles on my bike since getting it last Dec. i have it setup as follows: an after market windscreen, a sheepskin butt pad, Jesse boxes, a Givi top box, and a RKA tank bag. i always ride with a full face helmet (arai or shoei) as well as ear plugs and either my Olympia airglide jacket or my Olympia voyager jacket. i have Olympia airglide pants as well as Olympia ranger 2 pants. for boots i have a pair of Daytona boots and always wear a kidney belt. i have several pairs of gloves from Helimot and Held. this may be my first BMW as well as my first rally but it is far my first bike as i have been riding since i was in my teens. i plan on switching my tires back to Metzler Tourance from my current TKC's. i also plan on replacing both sprockets as well as the chain and flush the brake fluid as well as replacing the pads. of course I will do an oil change prior to leaving as well. i have a great tool roll with all the tools i think i would need as well as spare tubes, tire irons and the knowledge and experience to change a tube on the side of the road. i believe i am more then ready for a ride of only 1800 miles each way, although i may take a longer route on my return trip.
    Sounds like you are prepared. Look forward to meeting you at the rally. My son-in-law and I are leaving from Central IL.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I think you are more than ready, it will be an excellent adventure.

If you plan on moteling it there, my experience has been to get an early start, put in your miles and get off the road early to grab a room. Traveling East to West, the time zone is in your favor for early starts anyways. Coming home sucks for the same reason (come to think of it, it sucks for other reasons).

And I will pass along the best advice that I ever read on this forum...as you head out into the middle of no where...don't ever pass up the chance to gas up. Yes, even if it's 2 gallons. You will never regret having enough fuel.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by RJM2096 View Post
    Sounds like you are prepared. Look forward to meeting you at the rally. My son-in-law and I are leaving from Central IL.
    looking forward to meeting you as well, just look for the dirty F650GS, NY plates and which may or may not have knobbies on it.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    If you plan on moteling it there, my experience has been to get an early start, put in your miles and get off the road early to grab a room.
    This is extremely good advice. I like to be on the road between 5 and 6 (earlier if need be) and finish up at 2 or 3. Unpack, dip in the pool, big dinner, a few beers, walk back to the hotel and asleep by 9. YRMV, but this is a good plan.

Have fun on your bike and your trip. You'll have a blast at the rally.

The only thing I ever had stolen at a rally was my soul when Kbasa took my picture!

Given your time constraints, I understand your need to ride the slab most of the way. And besides, once you hit the Ohio border there is nothing to see till you get to the Black Hills/Badlands area of South Dakota anyway so you might as well be on the slab.

My plan-in-progress is to burn Interstate to the Badlands and then do the secondary roads through there and the Black Hills and on to Gillette.

If you are motelling it and only camping at the rally, you could ship your camping gear there ahead of time and ship it back home Sunday morning. The last few years the club has had a UPS facility on site and I would think they would do it again this year.

John

being on the road early works out fine for me. i am so used to being up early (4am) for work that i had planned on being out the door and on the road between 6-6:30 each day. i have learned that if i put in 75-100 miles before breakfest i can then ride latter into the afternoon before i need to stop for lunch, hence i stop latter for supper which means i can do some long days without much of a problem. getting gas when it is available instead of waiting and hoping to find another station has always been my rule.

all this talk of this trip has me wanting to set up my camping gear in the living room, or at the very least going out to the garage and pack the bike just for fun.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

WY rally

NYTM, if you are going to be camping at the rally, but motelling it along the way out and back another alternative is to ship your camping gear to the Rally site via UPS. There will be a UPS store on site as a vendor that will enable you to ship your camping gear back home....along with all those goodies you bought from all the vendors at the rally.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

shipping all the stuff i buy back home via UPS is a great idea. in fact i think i will ship my towels/face cloths out/back so they don't take up what little precious room i have. i will keep my camping gear on the bike with me in case i find a place on the way out/back to camp.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I've seen at rallies where your neighbors would zip up your tent if the weather turned nasty.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Once, when I was out riding during the day, a huge storm blew my tent down, and made the inside a sodden mess. But the time I got back my friends had set the tent back up, dried the sleeping bag and wet clothes, and had everything else laying out in the sun to dry.

Nothing beats rally buddies, especially if they are Broccoli Riders!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    And, I might add, if you're not careful, you just might get "Voni'd," as she shows
    the "secret handshake."
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I shipped my tent and gear up to the Burlington rally (all 200 miles away). Lisa and I rolled in on a Friday night and the darn thing was all set up - and we just needed to find it. Your mileage may vary.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Mongo
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    I shipped my tent and gear up to the Burlington rally (all 200 miles away). Lisa and I rolled in on a Friday night and the darn thing was all set up - and we just needed to find it. Your mileage may vary.
    And someone else came, packed your gear up and carried it back on their bike in the pouring rain.

Hey now,

I used to own a "little F650GS Dakar" and it was BIG fun. A buddy rode his from Massachusetts to Prudhoe Bay and did the AK portion two up with his wife and camping gear!

Sure a K12LT might be a little better on slab but don't sell your 650 short. Enjoy the 65mpg.

Don't worry about your gear. As others have said you can ship you camping gear.

For the ride out I would suggest you consider staying at KOA campgrounds along the way. Many have small cabins that you can reserve for the same or less than a super 8. For the money If feel safer at the KOA and don't have to worry about being disturbed by the crack dealing in the parking lot.

F650

Hi Trashman
    The 650 will work just fine. I've just returned from a 15K km trip to Cenral America.
    A few notes:
    Reduce the rear sprocket tooth count if your route is all paved, to bring the revs down. I think it is Touratech that has a 45t sprocket (stock 49t)
    The bike will carry the load, no problem. Keep the heavy stuff down low.
    I found the stock seat uncomfortable (it slopes down to the front, and soon it feels like you're sitting on the (faux) tank) and used a Corbin canyon seat - its hard but correctly shaped, and gets you butt further back on the bike.
    The accessory outlet is in a bad spot. I located mine just behind the triple clamp, ahead of the battery, in the central plastic cover. I also added a lighter socket.
    Dump the stupid steel rear number plate holder - before it gets devoured by the back tire.
    The Tourance are good tires and wear well. Make sure your wheels are balanced.
    Enjoy the ride!
    Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain