Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Austin Hotels

If you don't care about cost, the Driscoll on 6th is pretty cool.
    Presidents, First Ladies, and other riff-raff seem to like it.

You coould in a pinch stay at my place just up the road in Pflugerville.

Dave
    Bullfrog

2007 R1200GS-adv Mad Max
    1976 R75/6 Black Beauty (Actually, it's my wifes' first bike)

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
    If you don't care about cost, the Driscoll on 6th is pretty cool.
    Presidents, First Ladies, and other riff-raff seem to like it.

You coould in a pinch stay at my place just up the road in Pflugerville.

Dave

Dave, that's real nice of you but we really do not want to impose upon anyone but it is good to know a Plan B. Maybe we meet up anyway (and that, of course, inlcudes anyone else in town on June 9th). I just called the Broken Spoke and talked to a gal with a wonderful accent but apparently consumed by other business. Told her that I heard they had the best dance floor in Texas (yes'er!) so we'll be there. Now, I don't want to be riding at all that night so was looking for something close. No way. So taxi it is. Still looking for options. The Homestead looks like it might be ok but not bookin' yet. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

gabentx

Other "Quirky" Option here in town

Another thought for you that's a little more on the "quirky" side which of course fits my town. This hotel is not far from the Broken Spoke on the south-west side of town right off Hwy-290 & Mopac (Loop 1).

It's a local hotel called "Heart of Texas Motel:
    http://www.heartoftexasmotel.com/#

Here's a link to a write-up in the local newspaper recently, the Austin-American Statesman:
    http://www.statesman.com/search/cont...126motels.html

Again, it's not going to be the Driskoll from a quality, but it's got history.....

Hope you enjoy Austin, I know I love it and lots of good rides here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Veg, actually we were going to slow down and say hi for a bit as we pass by Dallas on our way up to Oklahoma City and Amarillo anyway. Looking forward to it. -Bob
    AWRIIIIGHT! That works even better. And I depending on how you'd like to get to OKC, I can show you some nice back-roads between here and the Red River, including a small town that's supposed to have some decent German food.
    Just give me a heads-up as to when.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Bob,

The "Heart of Texas" is a good place to hang yer hat for a couple of days, fer shure.

If you're going to be in the Austin area for a bit, stop by Lone Star BMW on N. Lamar Blvd. and chat up with the locals. There is always a group around, especially Thursday and Saturday.

If you do that, you'll get soooooooo many ride ideas for the area it'll get your heart a racing. Good coffe, too.

I hope I'm in town when y'all show up. Being from Maine, it is always nice to hear that nor'eastern accent. N.S. is a lovely place to ride. My wife and I have enjoyed our times there.

take care,

Dave
    Bullfrog

2007 R1200GS-adv Mad Max

Courtyard Austin Downtown-Convention Center
    www.Courtyard.com
    300 East 4th Street, Austin, TX 78701

google maps is your friend...
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...7894&z=15&om=0
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

I grew up (in a manner of speaking) in Portland, Maine.... Deering High '67. By the sounds of it all we may never get out of Austin! Think I'll look at an extra day there if it's possible. Want to be on Vancouver Island for my son's wedding on June 21st (there on 18th) so we are forced to schedules and compromises. Looks like the Broken Spoke has our dance ticket and the Heart of Texas is our local oasis. Damn.... what an exciting corridor it will be: Fri and Sat in New Orleans and then Austin. How much partying can this pending 60 old frame take? A Monday night is likely not the hottest time but that's all we got (well... maybe Tuesday also). Thanks for the note regarding Lone Star. That may be about the time I need new tires. (or is there a better place for that?). Will touch base with you when we are in town (just tell me how). -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
    Bob,

The "Heart of Texas" is a good place to hang yer hat for a couple of days, fer shure.

If you're going to be in the Austin area for a bit, stop by Lone Star BMW on N. Lamar Blvd. and chat up with the locals. There is always a group around, especially Thursday and Saturday.

If you do that, you'll get soooooooo many ride ideas for the area it'll get your heart a racing. Good coffe, too.

I hope I'm in town when y'all show up. Being from Maine, it is always nice to hear that nor'eastern accent. N.S. is a lovely place to ride. My wife and I have enjoyed our times there.

take care,

Dave
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    I gotta read that history. It's so eye catching to see it in person and you just KNOW there's so much to be said. Gotta get back to SXSW one of these years. I hear that Rue's is gone.

Bob and Mary, you've gotta walk those few blocks along South Congress.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    yes, that looks like the ticket! Thanks for that one. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

yes, that looks like the ticket! Thanks for that one. -Bob
    From a friend: I stayed there. Once. Cool and all, but not so good.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    From a friend: I stayed there. Once. Cool and all, but not so good.
    hmmmmm..... ... are you able to elaborate on this caution flag? I'm glad that New Orleans and Austin are the only spots that I am reserving anything -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

hmmmmm..... ... are you able to elaborate on this caution flag? I'm glad that New Orleans and Austin are the only spots that I am reserving anything -Bob
    It pays to ask! Here's your answer:

Is this Bob and Mary? Well, I think they *should* stay there. I just looked at the pictures of the rooms and at their rates and I would stay there too. It's clear they have upgraded the place since I was there more than 10 years ago.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Bob,
    LoneStar is closed on Mondays so that would not be the place to get tires then. Tuesday is good and if you think you'll need them and know what you want give them a call and make a Tuesday appointment. The shop starts work around 7:30 AM and there is an OK waiting area with rading material, coffee, sodas, water and a nice HD TV.
    Their number is: 512-451-7979

You can send me private message. I check the site every day. Just don't post all that often.

Dave
    Bullfrog

2007 R1200GS-adv Mad Max

Republic of Texas
    As part of our upcoming 11,000 mile tour around the U.S., we have been investigating lodging options and Austin is one of the unresolved ones. We ride into Austin on June 9th and want to get into the entertainment center... especially any place with a good dance floor and live music . We cannot afford the $150/night plus places that we find but really do not want a place that charges by the hour either. So, any interesting suggestions. Thanks. -Bob
    Is there really an "Austin" other than in Texas? Why?

It has been awhile since I have stayed there, but the LaQuinta on 11th Street is walking distance to all of the entertainment on 6th Street (about five blocks, if I remember correctly), close to the capitol (if you want to do the tour), and the advantage for motorcycles is the parking is an interior courtyard (so you can see your bike without it being in a parking garage), which should provide a little more security. Looks like published web rates are about $100, so probably can do a little better. May want to call them and confirm the parking and any recent updates to the motel.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S