Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Austin Hotels

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

Austin Hotels

As part of our upcoming 11,000 mile tour around the U.S., we have been investigating lodging options and Austin is one of the unresolved ones. We ride into Austin on June 9th and want to get into the entertainment center... especially any place with a good dance floor and live music . We cannot afford the $150/night plus places that we find but really do not want a place that charges by the hour either. So, any interesting suggestions. Thanks. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I can't help you with hotels, but if I'm not doing anything else at the time I might come down to meet y'all.
    Bikeless for now...but not for much longer!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I have not seen the entertainment center and I am sure that none of the 3 motels cost that much.
    You are welcome anyway.
    http://www.austinnevada.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    I can't help you with hotels, but if I'm not doing anything else at the time I might come down to meet y'all.
    Veg, actually we were going to slow down and say hi for a bit as we pass by Dallas on our way up to Oklahoma City and Amarillo anyway. Looking forward to it. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    I have not seen the entertainment center and I am sure that none of the 3 motels cost that much.
    You are welcome anyway.
    I must think there is only one Austin. I meant Austin, Texas. However, I was also looking at crossing 50 again whereby Austin, Nevada would be a consideration. Your info may come in handy yet. We are also looking at leaving Las Vegas and heading up through Death Valley to Reno (heading to Vancouver on this leg of trip). Anyway, I appreciate your link. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

USERNAME
    bob - there are many hotels downtown that will allow you to walk to the bars and clubs. the traditional fun area for visitors is inside this box: east of lamar, west of I-35, north of town lake, and south of 8th st. any hotel in that box will be convenient. hotels.com will give you a map of where hotels are and you can see if any in that box meet your price requirements.

you are talking about being here 3 days before the Republic of Texas rally, so i recommend booking your rooms asap. people come early for that and hang around.

happy hunting.

ian408
    Only places I've stayed downtown are the Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites.
    Both fall into the $100+ a night category. However, the Hampton is within
    walking distance of 6th Street (which is where you'll be looking for entertainment).

You may want to consider something on the outskirts of town and cab it downtown
    too.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    bob - there are many hotels downtown that will allow you to walk to the bars and clubs. the traditional fun area for visitors is inside this box: east of lamar, west of I-35, north of town lake, and south of 8th st. any hotel in that box will be convenient. hotels.com will give you a map of where hotels are and you can see if any in that box meet your price requirements.

you are talking about being here 3 days before the Republic of Texas rally, so i recommend booking your rooms asap. people come early for that and hang around.

happy hunting.
    thanks for the 'heads up' on the Republic of Texas event. Being a Monday night I suspect room availability may be ok. Clubs may not be too busy as well unfortunately. Also, the box that you outlined will be very useful. -bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

There are several hotels in the mentioned "box", the last few years has seen some large ones move in and upped the price a bit. There are two different entertainment districts downtown ..the 6th Street area is the busiest and youngest(say UT students), the Warehouse area just to the west of Congress,the main drag to the Capitol, houses a few older crowd venues also. It is now filling with huge hi-rise condos...but some nice street level shopping & cafes...Staying West of IH-35 is highly reccomended. The Embassy Suites is on Congress & Riverside/Barton Springs, the southern end of downtown. It has a parking garage and about 8 block walk by the bats exit at sunset from under the Congress Ave bridge as you walk to either 6th street or the Warehouse District. I have attended several conferences here as it is in walking distance to a lot of stuff.

The craziness of the Republic of Texas Rally will not consume downtown until the parade night,I believe Saturday. We stayed in the historic Driskill a few years back and heard thunder ALL night long.

here is a local info link:

http://www.austin360.com/

Last year we enjoyed cooler than normal temps in June...but it did rain a lot that month!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Last year we enjoyed cooler than normal temps in June...but it did rain a lot that month!
    dude, you just jinxed us and guaranteed 100+ for his visit!

Well, we have tended to have the good fortune of mostly sunshine on all of our trips (except that freakin' inhospitable trip to Montreal a couple of years ago) so I hope that our trend will counteract the 'jinxing effect'. We'll see. Weather will never deter us though. I suppose that if the gods impose unrelenting rain upon us we will remember it fondly as we ride up into Las Vegas and through Death Valley. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    There are several hotels in the mentioned "box", the last few years has seen some large ones move in and upped the price a bit. ......."
    The craziness of the Republic of Texas Rally will not consume downtown until the parade night,I believe Saturday. We stayed in the historic Driskill a few years back and heard thunder ALL night long.

here is a local info link:

http://www.austin360.com/

Thanks for drilling down the search even more. Very helpful. And, the link will also help as we get closer to Austin re: who is playing where. Of course we don't know one club from the other but we'll have a grand time no matter (almost) where we land. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Thanks for drilling down the search even more. Very helpful. And, the link will also help as we get closer to Austin re: who is playing where. Of course we don't know one club from the other but we'll have a grand time no matter (almost) where we land. -Bob
    knowledge of the clubs is moot - you just show up, walk around, and go into the ones that look interesting. i scope out my weekend activities with the chronicle. it's a free alternative weekly paper.

here's a pseudo-guide to clubs: linky.

mondays are slow, but my experience is that a monday on 6th street (especially during summer) is better than a friday or saturday in most medium sized american cities. you'll have a good time.

JWHITE518
    Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    You are welcome anyway.
    Not only that, just east of Austin is a very nice mountain pass. There's one motel that has satellite TV and the owner lets you use the house phone because there's no cell service there.

No doubt...like telling someone where the "best" food is and it's a disaster for them... Oh you know it will be a 100 by then anyways!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait