Thread: Photography Tips

Photography Tips

This thread is for tips and tricks to help make us all better photographers.

Statdawg was kind enough to pass on the following link:

Dry Reading: Camera

This elegantly simple interactive graphic will be especially helpful to those of us working on the basics or trying to figure out apertures and shutter speeds and their interrelationships.

Link posted with permission from author.

Airhead GS convert...
    Once you've got exposure figured out, Composition is next.

Rule of Thirds:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Shows it very simply.

I learned something in the process - the first reference to the RoT was 1797, for landscape painting. But I suspect it was known by Greeks, Romans, Egyptians..... they had nice landscape paintings, too.
    Best,
    Doug Grosjean
    Pemberville, Ohio
    douggrosjean@gmail.com

Author of "Wheels"
    http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore...kid~32002.aspx

USERNAME
    ummmm, whoever wrote that dry reading thing should get the nobel prize for photography education. that's the most useful way i've ever found to have all that stuff explained to me - namely it's demonstrated in real time on an actual image.

really cool, thanks.

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    ummmm, whoever wrote that dry reading thing should get the nobel prize for photography education. that's the most useful way i've ever found to have all that stuff explained to me - namely it's demonstrated in real time on an actual image.

really cool, thanks.
    Yes, very kool. Nice interactive display.

I encouge everyone to look at his pictures while there. Many really bring home the point that Anything can make an interesting photograph, take the one in his Goodyear series of a muddy construction footing, not something one would associate with a photographic subject, yet he turns it into one. Its photos like that really stun and inspire, yet at the same time, for me at least, makes me wonder what the heck I was thinking to even imagine myself as a photographer, amateur or otherwise! I guess you just have to plod along and hope, (with lots of effort thrown in!).

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

I have to wait until home (Dang dialup).
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Make sure the subject of your photograph is clearly the subject. I hate when people take a picture of a campsite and you can't figure out what the heck you're supposed to look at.

Get close. Get really close to people when you take their picture. And say something that makes them giggle.

I like to tell them I'm going to take their picture, say something stupid and then just snap it. You'll get a genuine smile.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.