View Poll Results: What's your main photo gear?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Digital SLR

44 54.32%
  • Digital "point & shoot"

31 38.27%
  • Film SLR

4 4.94%
  • Film "point & shoot"

0 0%
  • Anybody used view cameras?

2 2.47%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What's your camera gear?

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    Wow - that's absolutely gorgeous..!
    Thanks

The trip down the Grand Canyon, in a 17' wooden boat was fun, too!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar

recently switched religions

I have recently switched religions on two levels. First, I am now almost completely digital and second, I have switched from Canon to Nikon after 18 years. The story is, last year my house was robbed and over twenty camera and all related gear was stolen. So, in today's terms that adds up to one full DSLR system. Here is what I shoot with now:

Nikon D80
    12-24mm AFs DX
    18-70 AFS DX
    SB600
    Nikon IR remote

Canon S400 Compact digital
    Canon SD800 IS Powershot compact digital

Sekonic L-358 light/flash meter (don't go anywhere without it)
    Gary Fong flash diffuser (awesome results)
    Manfrotto 055 ProB tripod
    Elinchrom studio stands with one white and one reflective umbrella
    All the filters and doodads you would expect

Also, I used some of the insurance cash to buy a kitted out iMAC on which I run the CS3 adobe suite. The iMAC with Photoshop is essential with digital photography.

Finally, to keep it real I sourced a Yashica Mat 125-G off ebay. I use this medium format TLR quite often. There still is no comparison between a digital print and looking at a large, juicy transparency through a loupe on a light table......
    g r a n t

Quote Originally Posted by GrantMacEachern View Post
    Gary Fong flash diffuser (awesome results)
    I've been meaning to try the Lightsphere. Seems like a pretty ingenius solution and a step or so beyond an Omnibounce.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    In my opinion, this is the best photo I've ever taken, using the D-60 and the 17-40mm lens:
    I can see why you are proud of this photo. It is a transformative image.

Congratulations!
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

rocketman
    Attached is a vertical pano, Natural Bridge, VA.

Verticals need to have just the right subject to look normal. Something long and tall with no straight lines.
    one of the cool things about that is the road that goes over it. A natural bridge indeed.

RM

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    I've been meaning to try the Lightsphere. Seems like a pretty ingenius solution and a step or so beyond an Omnibounce.
    Try one out at your local camera shop. Some of my friends poo-poo the lightsphere saying it's a lot of cash for a piece of plastic. The point is, it works and works well. Not everyone would value it.

I did find it took some practice to know what it results it would produce, but in the end the results are nice soft even light rather than harsh FLASH light.
    g r a n t

Airhead GS convert...
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    Thanks

The trip down the Grand Canyon, in a 17' wooden boat was fun, too!

That trip is on my list of things to do before I die, but in a whitewater kayak instead of a dory. Although a dory would be my next choice after a kayak, and way before a raft.

Have kayaked a bunch, raced whitewater slalom in the early 1990s, so it's hardly a pipe dream. Lotta my friends have done it already, but I just haven't had the time, money, etc come together all at once for that trip. One of these days.

Finally hiked partway into the Canyon this past summer while there. Oh man... just whetted my appetite for more. Hanging out at the rim doesn't compare with being down in.

OUTBACKUFO
    I use both film and digital SLRs... the film negative is still a more archival system for images... though i am starting to get too sucked into digital... and wished some images i have on negative so i could print larger than 20x30

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    That trip is on my list of things to do before I die, but in a whitewater kayak instead of a dory. Although a dory would be my next choice after a kayak, and way before a raft.

Have kayaked a bunch, raced whitewater slalom in the early 1990s, so it's hardly a pipe dream. Lotta my friends have done it already, but I just haven't had the time, money, etc come together all at once for that trip. One of these days.

Finally hiked partway into the Canyon this past summer while there. Oh man... just whetted my appetite for more. Hanging out at the rim doesn't compare with being down in.
    Yeah - I'm spoiled for life. I can never go to the rim again. I'll always want to be down at the bottom, running the rapids and floating through time.

We've actually done the trip twice. I have photo journals of both trips on our website. The 2nd trip was with the grandfather of running dories down the Grand Canyon, Martin Litton, so it was covered by Outside Magazine.

They sent a reporter and a photographer on the trip with us. The photographer was primarily shooting wide format, and it took half the cargo area of a 18' rubber raft just to transport his gear. All my gear fit inside a medium sized Pelican case. I think he was jealous of my compact digital set-up sometimes. He ALWAYS made derogatory comments about digital gear. I think I took better pictures than he did.

2003 trip: http://dvandkq.net/Grand%20Canyon%202003.htm

2004 trip: http://dvandkq.net/Grand%20Canyon%202004.htm

Outside Magazine article on our trip: http://outside.away.com/outside/dest...-canyon-1.html
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold