View Poll Results: What's your main photo gear?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Digital SLR

44 54.32%
  • Digital "point & shoot"

31 38.27%
  • Film SLR

4 4.94%
  • Film "point & shoot"

0 0%
  • Anybody used view cameras?

2 2.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your camera gear?

SNC1923

*ahem*

Greetings Photographers,

Fortunately, I haven't showered or combed my hair yet, so it's not too inconvenient to don my Mod hat for just a minute. . . .

Our forum guidelines are clear (see sticky in this forum) about religion, politics, etc. The debate about the existence of God is a valid one and we have a forum designed specifically for that. So don't go there.

It's only been 72 hours. Let's give it a chance and return to the topic at hand.

And thank you in advance.

[/mod hat]

RandallIsland
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    The debate about the existence of God is a valid one and we have a forum designed specifically for that.
    [/mod hat]
    I'm sure it was just Get Over Digital.

Quote Originally Posted by torags View Post
    I have been stricken with LLS.

What a lot of crap, but its been a joy. I have a hike in set up (lightweight when I have to hike an hour or so, to get a shot like this:

But its a chore lugging the stuff on the bike. It requires some farkling
    Very nice shot! I found I wasn't taking pictures when I had all my DSLR gear (two bodies, 15mm 2.8 up to 300mm 2.8, numerous filters, plus all the Canon T/S lenses).

Unless I had something specific in mind, I started really disliking lugging all the gear around and basically stopped shooting. I always felt like I needed to carry it all in case I saw something special and didn't want to regret compromising because I left this or that behind. So I sold it all and went backwards to a simple P&S camera. My hat's off to you!
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Airhead GS convert...
    Quote Originally Posted by bricciphoto View Post
    I always felt like I needed to carry it all in case I saw something special and didn't want to regret compromising because I left this or that behind. So I sold it all and went backwards to a simple P&S camera. My hat's off to you!
    I sort of went down a parallel path and ended up at a different destination, with just two very different cameras: my 35mm Widelux and my 120-format TLR Rollei. The vast majority of my on-motorcycle pics are taken with those two cameras.

But... I have about a dozen old cameras, all the way up to a 100 y/o 5x7 that can be shot handheld, and a couple modern film 35mm SLRs. So I'll choose which camera(s) based on how well they'll work for the trip I'm going on, and then do the best I can while on the trip with those 2-3 choices.

I don't know how people with a half-dozen lenses do it. If I had that many choices while on the road, I'd be overwhelmed by the choices. More power to those who aren't.

Very nice shot! I found I wasn't taking pictures when I had all my DSLR gear (two bodies, 15mm 2.8 up to 300mm 2.8, numerous filters, plus all the Canon T/S lenses).

Unless I had something specific in mind, I started really disliking lugging all the gear around and basically stopped shooting. I always felt like I needed to carry it all in case I saw something special and didn't want to regret compromising because I left this or that behind. So I sold it all and went backwards to a simple P&S camera. My hat's off to you!
    I may wind up like that. I was on the CA coast in Cambria one morning with my 18/200. I went to the beach, it was low tide and son of a gun there were almost a dozen California Condors there in the backwater. I've never seen that many.

200mm wasn't enough reach to get good shots & here I am (you know the feeling)

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    Ditto.
    I carry the DSLR in a saddlebag while I'm riding and carry the DSLR in my pocket. I can get action shots while riding and have a decent camera for shooting pics around camp.

I usually carry two tripods: a tiny one that sits about 4 or 5 inches high and a full size one.

And that's plenty, I think. I used to travel with all my SLR stuff and never got it out because it was such a pain in the butt. I switched my Pentax ME Super for a Canon P&S and started taking tons of pictures again. When I went digital, I started with a Sony Mavica, which was a pain to use (floppies for the photos!), but then switched to a Canon S400.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I carry a Canon F1 sometimes.....but my main photo gear is 4 hasseys, including a superwide. Can`t get excited shooting digital yet, a digital back for my cameras runs about $30,000. I can waste a lot of film before thats paid for.....

maybe one day I will get a digital camera.....maybe not...

crgrbrts
    I use photographic instruments from opposite ends of the technological spectrum. My "daily shooter" is a Canon EOS 30D digital SLR, but on scenic journeys I carry my Gowland 4 x 5 view camera. It's actually lighter in weight than the Canon; hand built by the famed glamor photographer Peter Gowland. Peter, a heckuva a nice guy, will soon be 93 years old and is still at work every day. You might find his website entertaining at www.petergowland.com . I was a Leicaphile for years, but the only Teutonic camera I have today is my trusty old Rolleiflex SL66 medium format. It's not exactly backpackable however.

Happy shooting,

Craig
    K1200R Sport
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by crgrbrts View Post
    I use photographic instruments from opposite ends of the technological spectrum. ... on scenic journeys I carry my Gowland 4 x 5 view camera. It's actually lighter in weight than the Canon; hand built by the famed glamor photographer Peter Gowland. Peter, a heckuva a nice guy, will soon be 93 years old and is still at work every day. You might find his website entertaining at www.petergowland.com .
    Craig
    K1200R Sport
    Amazing!
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

bmdubyou
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Greetings Photographers,

Fortunately, I haven't showered or combed my hair yet, so it's not too inconvenient to don my Mod hat for just a minute. . . .

Our forum guidelines are clear (see sticky in this forum) about religion, politics, etc. The debate about the existence of God is a valid one and we have a forum designed specifically for that. So don't go there.

It's only been 72 hours. Let's give it a chance and return to the topic at hand.

And thank you in advance.

[/mod hat]

pardon me! I guess I'm not sure exactly who is out of line here. Was it me because I mentioned God and being thankful for a beautiful photo or was it another who seems to enjoy proselytizing on here?

Quote Originally Posted by crgrbrts View Post
    hand built by the famed glamor photographer Peter Gowland. Peter, a heckuva a nice guy, will soon be 93 years old and is still at work every day.
    Thanks for the link to Gowland's website. I can understand why he's still working. This is a fascinating thread. I love seeing and hearing about the diversity of gear and each person's shooting interests.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by torags View Post
    200mm wasn't enough reach to get good shots & here I am (you know the feeling)

Perfect example, but still a nice shot of a atypical scene.
    Ben Ricci

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I use an older Canon D-60 with EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, and EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lenses, Hakuba carbon fiber tripod w/ Really Right Stuff quick release mounting plates, Sigma EF 530 DG Super Flash EO-ETTL speedlight, and a nifty Pelican case to keep everything in.

We also have a Canon PowerShot S400 digital point and shoot, with a scuba/snorkeling-type watertight case for river trips, kayak trips, etc. - when you don't want to break out the SLR but still want to take photos.

In my opinion, this is the best photo I've ever taken, using the D-60 and the 17-40mm lens:
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Airhead GS convert...
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    In my opinion, this is the best photo I've ever taken, using the D-60 and the 17-40mm lens:
    Wow - that's absolutely gorgeous..!

SNC1923

Panorama Posts Moved

Hey, let's start a pano thread so Doug can talk more. I think this is fascinating stuff.

Mods--can we move the posts related to panos to a new topic or do we have to start over?
    Done. The panorama posts have been moved to Panoramas: Go W I D E.
    Last edited by SNC1923; 01-23-2008 at 11:26 PM.