Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Welcome back

Welcome back. I'm also on Penobscot bay, about 25 miles south of you.

Thanks for the replies!

Actually no, I didn't build a "little house" but I did restore the one that we live in. If you visit the bayside website, click on "contact us" and look for the red cottage on that page. It used to be a boat building shed that produced 18' daysailors.

njnomad

Howdy, hola, aloha, 'sssup!

New to the BMWMOA and to beemer bikes. Just picked up a sweet '99 R1100RT with less than 18k miles. Having lots of fun with it. Also have an HD Heritage Softail and a couple of Suzuki gixxers (GSXR 1000 & 1100). Been riding for 37 yrs and have had many bikes. You know what, I love 'em all.

This is a really cool club and it's fun reading the forums. I enjoy reading the different experiences riders go through when they're out and about, close to home or touring. Hope to meet some of you on the road, somewhere, someday.

I'm 54, retired and loving it. I'm a combat vet, retired Police Officer, Commercial Pilot and former Actor. Worked a few Law & Order episodes (all three) first as a long haired, tattooed, multi-pierced bad guy (which I do have, except the bad guy part ) . Then later as an NYPD officer (after I cleaned up my act) but since I'm out of acting, I'm back to the long hair, piercings, etc.

I love riding (naturally). I also dabble in music and astronomy but my heart is in the Rocky Mtns where I hope to go back to soon. I'll tell ya, there's nothing like it. I can't even describe the sheer beauty of the rockies as you're gliding by those "fourteeners" on two wheels. Oh heck, anywhere I ride I'm happy, as long as I'm riding.

Welcome back GS and welcome in Nomad!!
    Glad to hear from all of you and happy your here!

Mike
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

wwharper1636
    HI, I'm Walt, well I started riding when I first Joined the Navy in 72, my folks told me that as long as I lived under their roof, I would never own a bike. But I had watched "Here comes Bronson" in the lated 60's and always wanted one.

I was up in Connecticut on a Sub, and bought a 59 VW to get around and couldn't get insurance. one day I was at the insurance company asking about insurance. they wanted $600 every 6 months for liability insurance on the bug. about then another guy shows up and pays his bike insurance policy, $67.00. I ask the lady how much it would be for me, about $50 for a 500cc bike. sold the bug the next day and bought my first bike a Suzuki T-500 Titan. and I have been riding since. I have owned 6 hondas, 2 yamaha, a harley, and now I got a R1150 GSA.

I ride to work everyday when ther is no ice on the road about 10 months a year. I am going to put in for the further milage program this year. I am ready I think. should be easy to place in the top ten in oregon. I was riding last month when the temps were down to 27 degrees. I was wondering what the wind chill was at 785 miles an hour.

I am retired form the Navy, served on Nuclear submarines for 20 years. I think that is part of the reason I like to ride so much. being out in the open now...

I have riden in 46 of the 50 states and right now I am planning a trip to Alaska next year, I want to go to the Artic Circle. I have been under the ice many times on the boats. I also need to go to 3 more of the canadian provenses to get them all, but I have never been to mexico. Maybe someday.

I hope to see you someday on the road. Like Bronson, I'm heading down that long lonesome highway............

Quote Originally Posted by wwharper1636 View Post
    HI, I'm Walt, well I started riding when I first Joined the Navy in 72, my folks told me that as long as I lived under their roof, I would never own a bike. But I had watched "Here comes Bronson" in the lated 60's and always wanted one.

I was up in Connecticut on a Sub, and bought a 59 VW to get around and couldn't get insurance. one day I was at the insurance company asking about insurance. they wanted $600 every 6 months for liability insurance on the bug. about then another guy shows up and pays his bike insurance policy, $67.00. I ask the lady how much it would be for me, about $50 for a 500cc bike. sold the bug the next day and bought my first bike a Suzuki T-500 Titan. and I have been riding since. I have owned 6 hondas, 2 yamaha, a harley, and now I got a R1150 GSA.

I ride to work everyday when ther is no ice on the road about 10 months a year. I am going to put in for the further milage program this year. I am ready I think. should be easy to place in the top ten in oregon. I was riding last month when the temps were down to 27 degrees. I was wondering what the wind chill was at 785 miles an hour.

I am retired form the Navy, served on Nuclear submarines for 20 years. I think that is part of the reason I like to ride so much. being out in the open now...

I have riden in 46 of the 50 states and right now I am planning a trip to Alaska next year, I want to go to the Artic Circle. I have been under the ice many times on the boats. I also need to go to 3 more of the canadian provenses to get them all, but I have never been to mexico. Maybe someday.

I hope to see you someday on the road. Like Bronson, I'm heading down that long lonesome highway............
    Welcome Walt. Glad to have you.
    I had a good friend that has passed away but he was on sub's.
    I will never forget , he used to tell a story about submariner's and flyboys in a bar.
    After many barbs back and forth, it was pretty clear the sub had many advantages to the aircraft at which point the pilot said to "Bill" "Well all of that is true but there is one thing for sure , I bet I can get my bird in the water before you get your sub in the air"
    The bar finally went silent and a round of drinks was shared by all.

Mike
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

Stacia

Welcome, Stacia.

It is great to have young ladies like you in our Organization.
    Thank you for your contribution in the "First Bike" column. You got a really nice bike.
    I hope to meet you in Tennessee, in the National Rally.
    Next winter, if you have too much snow at home, try to aim South !

Warm regards.

Ruben Tenorio.
    International Delegate.- BMW Moto Clubes Mexico.
    Vicepresident.- BMW Clubes Federaci??n Latino Americana.
    Ambassador.- BMW Motorcycle Owners of America.

Hi, Walt,
    It's nice to have another ex-bubblehead on the forum. And if you do want to go visit Ruben in Oaxaca, let me know. I lived in Mexico (Aguascalientes) for a couple of years and worked mostly in Mexico for nearly 20 years. The only club rally I attended was in Tequisquiapan in 1986, but they do know how to have fun and the Mexico rallys are top notch. Now that I am (forcibly) retired, I have the time and wouldn't mind seeing some friends in Mexico City and making some new ones elsewhere in the country.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '95 K75RT
    '94 K75A/3
    ex-QM2(SS) USS Nathan Hale SSB(N)623G

tlk100rs

Me and my Beemers

[Hi, I'm Tom Lemke. I live in Westfield NY, which is about 10 mi. from the PA border just off I90. My frist BMW was a 1978 R60/7. After 2 years, I traded it in on a 1978 R100S in Luffmister touring trim. In late fall of 1984, I traded it in on a 1984 R100RS LE. It was on this BMW that I qulified fro the 100,000 miles on BMW's award. In May of 1987 on my way to the Squar Root rally in MD, I totaled it while trying to slow down from 55 mph on oily wet black top. I was highsided at about 50 mph, but was not injured due to being fully protected from head to toe with BMW helmet, leathers, gloves and boots. I replaced the RS with a 1987 K75S, which sold in 1992. I was away from motocycling until 2006, when I bought a 2005 Honda VT750 Shadow Aero. In 2008, I started looking online for a K100RS. I found one on the BMWMOA Flea Market. It is a 1991 Pearl White one, with 35k on the odometer. I put a set of Brigestone BT-21's on it, and I love the way it handles. The belly pan and both sides of the faring are scarred, and the right side mirror is also scarred. I intend to have these things repaired this year. I' also having trouble with tha ABS. the ABS light flashes and the brake light stays on; any suggestions?

I hope to get to the National and the Finger Lakes rallies this year; hope to meet you there.

Welcome Tom, Glad you are back on a bike.
    Mike
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

njnomad
    Hi Mike & Robin. Thanks for the warm welcome. Hi Walt. Glad to see you here. Right off the bat Walt we have two things in common; we're both newbies here and we both started riding in '72 when we went in the military. I've been riding ever since. Did you happen to make it to Subic?
    Last edited by njnomad; 04-12-2009 at 11:28 AM.

FrankDee
    Hi! We are Frank & Claudia DelloRusso from the Boston, MA area, proud parents of 2 great kids and grandparents of 4 fabulous, very young grandchildren (the 10 month old is in my lap at this very moment desperately trying to help me type this entry). I spent 4 years in the Air Force right after high school (where I met Claudia, in Germany) and 4 subsequent years in college, then a whole bunch'a years working for the many different iterations of the then rapidly changing "phone company", from which I was forcibly retired 6 days after 9-11. It was painful at the time, but in hindsight, they did me a big favor. Been riding bikes for over 40 years and this 2003 R1150RT is our first BMW. We joined BMW MOA just yesterday at the advice of a friend, also a member and BMW GS rider.

We bought our RT used, two years ago, with only 6K miles on it (2 previous owners), and have had some unfortunate serious and expensive problems which resulted in limited use since. But all has been sorted out (thanks to MAX BMW in North Hampton, NH) and will, hopefully, remain so.... because Claudia is now spoiled rotten and because this bike needs to carry us across the country to CA and back between mid-May and mid-July, this year. I've done some long distance riding in my younger years (on a 1972 Norton Commando (to Iowa), which I still have, and a 1984 Moto Guzzi 850-T5 (to Illinois), now being ridden daily by our son. This little round trip, x-country adventure, a "test" or "testimonial" in celebration of our 40 years of marriage (July 5th) will be our "Mt. Everest".

The motivation for this ride has been the recent loss of too many relatives and close friends, some of whom were too young to pass. One (my closest friend) spoke his dying words to me and they were as follows... "There were so many things I wanted to do...". With that, Claudia and I decided that we didn't want to leave too many "should'a-could'a-would'a's in our closet... so off we go.

The plan is to head south through NJ and PA to Front Royal, VA and take Skyline Drive and the Blueridge Parkway all the way to the Franklin, NC area. Then head west to Denver, cross the Rockies and spend a few days at Lake Tahoe. Then north to Wyoming and Yellowstone and east to SD and the Black Hills, across MN and up to Grand Marais, WI on Lake Superior (near Thunder Bay, Ontario), back down through Green Bay (must check out Lambeau Field) and then take the S.S. Badger across Lake Michigan from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI. Then probably through Ann Arbor, into Ohio, across PA on Rt. 6 and into NJ, and finally home. There'll be some stops along the way to visit some family old friends.

Part of the trip west from NC includes a stop in Blytheville, AK to visit the grave site of Claudia's mother. There's an amazing Rod Serling "Twilight Zone" kind of story that goes along with this visit, but it's way too long to deliver here. Maybe we'll get to meet some of you throughout our travels, and that'd be a good time to tell it over a few cold beers.

We have a trip route planned (very limited Interstate travel... mostly state roads), but it's not cast in stone, so any advice, re: special roads, sights, places to eat or lodge that anyone would like to pass along would surely be welcomed.

Ride safe,
    Frank & Claudia DelloRusso (fdelloru@yahoo.com)

P.S. Being brand new to this group, the web site and this forum, I'm not very familiar with the "process". So... my apologies in advance in the event that I don't follow the proper protocol.

Rally Rat
    Welcome Frank and Claudia! No worries, we don't have much protocal, and somethimes not many manners either. However, you will see that there is a large group of great folks who frequent the website, although only a small fraction of our overall club membership. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDee View Post
    P.S. Being brand new to this group, the web site and this forum, I'm not very familiar with the "process". So... my apologies in advance in the event that I don't follow the proper protocol.
    There is a protocol?

Welcome you guys and hope you have fun here. these are the greatest bunch of guys and gals on the planet.

Mike
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

FrankDee
    [QUOTE=john1691;Enjoy the ride![/QUOTE]

Thanks folks... perhaps a BETTER request for advice regarding this trip would have been... "What state and local roads should we definitely NOT take?" But, I know that's an unreasonable request since I haven't provided anyone with any significantly detailed information regarding our planned route... it's a big country. Maybe I'll put something up on this thread once I finalize the general route and the states we'll be riding through.

Regards,
    FrankDee