Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourself and your bike!

This looks like the best place for my first BMWMOA post!

Four years ago I transfered with work from Florida to Cumming, GA, just North of Atlanta. My family took a trip with me to the N. Georgia mountains after we settled in, and I immediately told my wife that I had to get a motorcycle. My wife was not crazy about my idea, but she did encourage me to take the MSF course before I purchased my first bike. She and my son now tell me four bikes later that I am a psycho when it comes to motorcycles, hence my screen name Cyclepath. I love all types of riding inluding dirt, touring, or simple short jaunts to the store.

My first bike was a Honda VFR which I recently sold thank goodness without a scratch on it:

[IMG][/IMG]

This bike will always have a place in my heart. The VFR took good care of me getting through those first couple years of riding. My favorite ride was an Iron Butt ride to New Orleans for lunch on Burboun Street. I also attended the 2007 Winter Rally in Florida with my father on this bike. This was my first BMW Rally which I absolutely loved. I made some great frineds and could not beleive how much I learned about bikes and riding over the course of the weekend. My Dad rides a 1150RT, and is my favorite riding partner. I knew when I left that rally in Florida, I was going to be BMW owner sooner than later.

My father's toy at the Winter Rally:

[IMG][/IMG]

A little over a year ago I purchased an 08 KLR650. The GS was not in the budget and I was itching to take in some fire roads while adding another horse to the stable. I love this bike! Unfortunately I learned what loose gravel, to much speed, and inexperience can lead to on this baby.

[IMG][/IMG]

I was wearing all of my gear and fortunately was not hurt. The bike was a total loss, but I picked up red 08KLR that is staying in my garage.

[IMG][/IMG]

Two weeks ago I sold the VFR and headed to BMW of Atlanta to pick up my dream ride!

[IMG][/IMG]

I could not be happier with my choice. I named her Georgia! Needless to say, I am looking forward to many rides and adventures. Look forward to meeting many of you around the country over the years to come!

Shawn
    2008 BMW R1200GS
    "Avoidance of danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

Shawn,
    Great to have you here and you look like you really fit that GS!

Mike
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

Thanks Mike and Congrats Cyclepath.

Thanks for the invite Mike! I really do enjoy the BMW's. I've admired them for years. My dad's friend had one when I was a kid and he always siad that BMW's where the Riders bike, not the wanna be's bike.

Congrats on the new bike cyclepath! I've always admired the GS's myself. Hopefully in a couple years I can pick up an old airhead GS100. They're alot cheaper than the new ones and easier for me to work on. Why don't you break her in on the October ride to Hunter Mtn?
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

CRUISIN
    From a few years ago here's a very brief history. And from an online interview that came about as a result of a reply I posted on Sport Touring.net.

heloguy1976

Me!!

I am new to the BMW scene and I love it. I am 32 stationed in Germany currently serving the Army as a BlackHawk pilot. I have a wife and 2 kids. I have always been a rider but after watching Long Way Round I got the touring bug. Sold my Crotch Rocket and bought a 1200 GS Adv. with all the Touratech someone thinks they might need. I love it! What a great great bike, and after I finish my Iraq tour (again) I will travel Europe with the wife. Lucky for me she speaks German and a few other European languages. 5 years with this beautiful women and I speak English. There is Trilingual, Bilingual, then American. I joined BMW MOA not to long ago and it is an absolutly wonderful website. Glad to be part of it all.

I will add a pic soon, need to shrink my photo.

Welcome Jeremy ! Glad to have you here and glad you are loving the GS .
    Thanks for your service to the USA as well.
    Stay Safe! and on the bike.

Mike
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

criminaldesign

Howdy

Hi Everyone. My name is Houston, I am 29, looking forward to 30. I am a professional graphic designer by trade. I do both print and multimedia design. I especially love hand screen printing posters. It's the only way to get your hands dirty anymore in modern design practices.

I recently purchased my first bike which happened to be this serendipitous '88 R100RS.

My fathers had bikes around all of my life until I became of driving age because of layoffs. Seems like the toys are the first things to go. Therefore I had no bike around to fall in love with. Go figure, I leave home and head to Pittsburgh and my dad turns into an even more avid motorcyclist.

Fast forward to now. Things werent going so well on the marriage front so my brother invited me to join him and our father on a bike trip from Oklahoma to Oregon. I had about 2 hours of riding instruction from them, and two weeks later I had 4,500 miles under my belt on a 850 Suzuki.

All I can say is I caught the fever. I've had the Beemer for a month, found it for sale on the side of the road with 34,000 miles. Picked her up for $2,800 and already put a 1000 miles on her bumping around the hills of WV. In 3 weeks I'm taking her out to Oklahoma and experience our beautiful landscape on my new fabulous machine thats as smooth as a feather. I now have a new wife, a beautiful 20 year old German, and after 9 years in Pittsburgh, I'm back in the wild and wonderful mountains of WV.

Here's my other bike where I'm acting Airhead. Haro BMX trail bike. She's adjusting fine from steady use on the Pittsburgh streets/bridges and constant climbing of PJ McArdle Roadway‎ (whew! good cardio. Single speed and no stopping. I lived at the top.) to the woods of WV.

This is today before we took a dip in Sandy Creek.

I may be a little late getting into motorcycles, but I look forward to talking with everyone, learning about these wonderful Beemers, and most of all, riding them. Later, h
    Last edited by criminaldesign; 09-09-2008 at 04:44 AM. Reason: First image too large, my bad.

ian408
    Welcome Houston!

Houston... we have no problems here.

welcome!

ian, too
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Welcome Houston.

We should have hooked up while you where living in the Burgh.
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.

MPGOLIGHTLY
    Hello all,

My name is Mark and I have been riding motorcycles for the last four years consistently. I started out when I was 19 with a 1979 Honda XL 100, it was my first bike and I bought it new off the show room floor for $700.00, it was an addiction right from the beginning, 8,000 miles on the little Honda in 18 months. I rode that thing in the rain, the snow and other less friendly weather. Then there was a lull in the riding for a few years.

In 04 I bought a Honda 600VLX, traded that in for a new 05 VTX 1300R, then I added a 1992 wing to the barn, but, my wife was not to keen on riding, sold the wing. Then this summer I bought my first BMW, an R1200GS, and I love it . Ten weeks old and 4200 miles on it.

Riding is still an addiction, I ride my bike every where I can The VTX has 28k miles.
    Guess I should go ride it this evening, it was crying the other day, "I use to be your favorite, until you brought the Euro-Trash home". Got to go, need to see if the Honda will start. Ride safe Mark

criminaldesign
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman126 View Post
    We should have hooked up while you where living in the Burgh.
    Hey there Lineman, Appears we lived within 5 miles of each other. A friend of mine recently moved to Brookline. Noticed ink on you from your Airhead post with the sidecar (nice bike btw). Get ink done locally? Later, h

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    Thanks guys.

Hey there Lineman, Appears we lived within 5 miles of each other. A friend of mine recently moved to Brookline. Noticed ink on you from your Airhead post with the sidecar (nice bike btw). Get ink done locally? Later, h
    Hey Houston,

Thanks. I did get most of my work done around Pittsburgh. Unfortunatley my favortie guy stopped tattooing and startyed a regular job. I keep trying to convince him to come back. I just saw that you are out in CO. I haven't gotten there yet. Hopefully soon. We should hook up and do a ride when you get back on the Eastern end of the country. Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    Hi Everyone. My name is Houston, I am 29, looking forward to 30. I am a professional graphic designer by trade. I do both print and multimedia design. I especially love hand screen printing posters. It's the only way to get your hands dirty anymore in modern design practices.

I recently purchased my first bike which happened to be this serendipitous '88 R100RS.

My fathers had bikes around all of my life until I became of driving age because of layoffs. Seems like the toys are the first things to go. Therefore I had no bike around to fall in love with. Go figure, I leave home and head to Pittsburgh and my dad turns into an even more avid motorcyclist.

Fast forward to now. Things werent going so well on the marriage front so my brother invited me to join him and our father on a bike trip from Oklahoma to Oregon. I had about 2 hours of riding instruction from them, and two weeks later I had 4,500 miles under my belt on a 850 Suzuki.

All I can say is I caught the fever. I've had the Beemer for a month, found it for sale on the side of the road with 34,000 miles. Picked her up for $2,800 and already put a 1000 miles on her bumping around the hills of WV. In 3 weeks I'm taking her out to Oklahoma and experience our beautiful landscape on my new fabulous machine thats as smooth as a feather. I now have a new wife, a beautiful 20 year old German, and after 9 years in Pittsburgh, I'm back in the wild and wonderful mountains of WV.

Here's my other bike where I'm acting Airhead. Haro BMX trail bike. She's adjusting fine from steady use on the Pittsburgh streets/bridges and constant climbing of PJ McArdle Roadway‎ (whew! good cardio. Single speed and no stopping. I lived at the top.) to the woods of WV.

This is today before we took a dip in Sandy Creek.

I may be a little late getting into motorcycles, but I look forward to talking with everyone, learning about these wonderful Beemers, and most of all, riding them. Later, h

Any more samples of work?

scqtt
    Scott 42

Motorcycle industry guy for 20 years

Motorcycle license for 26 years.

First BMW (73 R90/6) in 88 or so.

Have owned 8 BMWs, still have 5 of the eight (regret selling the other 3)

Have owned about 25 or so other bikes, sill have a few of them too.

BMWs are weird, but they get in your blood and are hard to give up.

BMW riders are even stranger than the bikes. They tend not to get in your blood, but easily get on your nerves.
    Last edited by SCQTT; 11-11-2008 at 09:45 AM.