Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Greetings, Folks:
    I am a new member as of 8/31/06 (#1273490). I currently reside near El Centro, California, where I was born and raised. I'm fifty-nine years old; married to Candy for twelve years; two grown step-children. I am retired from the Border Patrol (4 yrs.), for whom I was a patrol agent and a pilot for 24 years.
    I've been riding motorcycles for 44 years. My first bike was a 1956 TR-6 Triumph Trophy. I have always been partial toward the older Brit bikes, having owned one other Triumph and two BSAs over the years.
    I acquired my first beemer in 1982; a 1980 R-65 with 20 thousand miles on the odo. It's now got 120 thousand on it. It just refuses to die.
    I currently own: 1970 TR-6C Triumph Trophy (my second bike ever); 1980 R-65 BMW; 1997 R1100R BMW; and my latest acquisition, a 2003 R1150GS.
    My interests include wrenching on just about anything; eg: old cars, bikes, airplanes, helicopters, fishing reels.
    My goals for the remainder of my riding career include riding/touring every part of the Western United States, and , especially to ride all the way to Prudhoe Bay, AK. I LOVE MOTORCYCLES.

Thumbs up Well, I guess I should ...

introduce myself. I'm Robert and I'm a relatively new member and BMW owner. (Jeez, this is starting to sound like a confession at some kind of Addicts Anon. meeting). I started riding when I was 14 on an Allstate Crusaire (sp?) almost 46 years ago, and I haven't been able to quit; I've experienced a hiatus or two though (Vietnam and Grad School), but I've never been able to "kick the habit."

Since the little blue Allstate, I've owned several different bikes (mostly British, the last one being a '74 850 Commando). Currently, I ride a '95 R1100RSL that I bought after buying my wife a '05 Vulcan 500. Rising gas prices was her excuse for wanting a motorcycle; so I thought if she could have a bike, I could too because the rising gas prices affected me as well.

I initially started looking at the early to mid-seventies British models when I stumbled upon a '73 R75/5 "Toaster" for sale on e-bay. Although I didn't buy this bike, it switched my focus to BMWs. (I've always liked these bikes, but I really don't know why I never owned one before). Besides, I began thinking about electric start verses kick start ... hmmmmm, let me think. Oh god, how I missed those times when my Norton decided to give me a lesson in anger management and finally started after only 50 kicks or so, explaining why my right thigh was two inches larger than my left one. No contest, the electric start wins! However after considering unleaded gas and other changes in modern petroleum products, I felt buying a later model would be my best bet, so when I ran across the '95 oilhead, I bought her. I just had a good feeling about the bike from the minute I saw her.

Oh my god, this is a confession. Maybe now I can go find one of those old "Toasters" and add it to my stable without feeling guilty. I feel so much better now; thank you for listening.

Robert

Thumbs up Introducing...

Me! Hi, my name is Jessica and I LOVE MY F650GS! It's my first and only bike and I'm starting to take it on as may day trips as I can squeeze in between work and the gray New England weather we have had this late August. In the 4 weeks I've had it though, I've racked up about 1400 miles on it which I don't think is too bad for me, a NEWBIE (as you guys would put it) but I've been told that I ride my Beamer like a Veteran so I don't know.

Anyone know of any groups like "Ladies of BMW" in New England that I can ride with or at least get in touch with? Let me know.

I look forward to meeting more of the group via forum, rallies, & other BMW enthusiast gatherings! Safe riding everyone...

JessicaF650GS

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaF650GS
    Anyone know of any groups like "Ladies of BMW" in New England that I can ride with or at least get in touch with? Let me know.

JessicaF650GS
    I don't know of this group...let's form it...you, me, iRene, Chase, Murial...I think we have a quorum. Welcome! BMWBC (biker chicks)
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaF650GS
    Me! Hi, my name is Jessica and I LOVE MY F650GS! It's my first and only bike and I'm starting to take it on as may day trips as I can squeeze in between work and the gray New England weather we have had this late August. In the 4 weeks I've had it though, I've racked up about 1400 miles on it which I don't think is too bad for me, a NEWBIE (as you guys would put it) but I've been told that I ride my Beamer like a Veteran so I don't know.

I look forward to meeting more of the group via forum, rallies, & other BMW enthusiast gatherings! Safe riding everyone...

JessicaF650GS
    Hey Jessica - Come on down and meet with the Yankee Beemers. It's co-ed, but you'll meet at least a few of the great women who are members. You might even like a few of the guys, too.
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

Rosebud...It's his sled. DwayneH's Avatar

Howdy

Hi, Dwayne. I'm from Bradford, Ontario Canada. I would have posted earlier, but the igloo needed some attention.

In May of this year I purchased a brand spankin..still in her crate 2005 R 1150 R. It was last years model, but I guess they had a hard time selling the Dark Ferro R's. I fell in love with it, which has a lot to do with the lack of chrome. I commute on my bike everyday, rain or shine. I now have just under 11,000 Km's on her. My previous ride was a 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC, with enough chrome to scare a Harley into submission. That bike too was a daily commuter, but polishing chrome...EVERY SINGLE DAY, was starting to get old. Heated grips is the other reason I fell in love with the R.
    I'll include (try) of the bike when she was still a new born in her crate. Very neat that the dealer went through the trouble to photgraph this, and even gave me the crate which I am turning into a picture frame once I get some really nice shots of the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6,000 miles loop solo, Iowa-BC,Canada-Oregon-California-Utah-Iowa in 3weeks.

I am Camilo, I just did this great trip in my R1150 GS ADV, tons of pictures, challenging and rewarding. Stopped at the Bee Cee Beemers Rally at the Nakusp Hotsprings BC, Canada. Then a tree house resort in Takilma, Oregon. Then the Redwood NP, Sequioa NP, Mojave, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase - Escalante, Capitol Reef, then Colorado and back to Iowa.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Welcome to the fun
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

advrider.com

Figured it was my turn...

Nathan
    20 years old
    Saint Charles (near St Louis), MO
    Member of MOA for a year now.
    Own a R75/6, and 4 dirtbikes/2 four-wheelers.
    Attending the community college, but will transfer to UMR for Aerospace Engineering.
    Owner of a commercial lawncare business for the past 3 years.
    That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
    Nathan
    20 years old
    Saint Charles (near St Louis), MO
    Member of MOA for a year now.
    Own a R75/6, and 4 dirtbikes/2 four-wheelers.
    Attending the community college, but will transfer to UMR for Aerospace Engineering.
    Owner of a commercial lawncare business for the past 3 years.
    That's it.
    Welcome aboard, Nathan. As you have already seen, this is a fun place and a great bunch of folks.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ÔÇ£If you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular!ÔÇØ http://www.yearroundriders.com

Turtle in a half-shell audioelliot's Avatar

Ello Mate!

Well, I guess it's my turn. My name is Elliot Carroll and I'm 22. I'm originally from Southern Pennsylvania, but now I never stay in one place longer than a week. I work for a touring production company and I'm on the road 11 months a year, which is great, because I get to ride my bike alot. I started with a 2002 F650GS and loved the bike, but wanted some bigger, faster, and a bit more comfortable. So I went with a 2002 K1200RSA and I love it so much that I'll never get rid of it, ever. I'll just have to buy a 1200GS in a couple years for more off-road adventures. I've been a member since Dec 2005, and haven't been to a single rally of any kind. I work weekends, it's tough to get out of work. But hopefully, I'll be able to catch one soon. I have 37,318 miles under my belt, in 19 months and look forward to keep riding hard. Look, it'sa me!

userw5
    Jeff
    47 YO
    I reside just outside Richmond VA.
    I purchased my '04 Rockster back in April of this year.
    Prior to this I had a '77 Yamaha XS650 and a '96 Honda Shadow 650.
    I started riding on the street about 11 years ago, I had ridden dirt bikes as a youngster. I love to ride, but don't get to much seat time right now. Mostly a weekender and occasionally (3 or 4 times a month) commute to work and back.
    I've been a member of the MOA since shortly after I purchased my Rockster. I love the Ride Reports and Tech tips.

pedrocasper

Petey Casper

Greetings All: My name is Pete, friends call me Petey or Pedro. I am currently 38 years old. I donÔÇÖt know what my enemies, if any, call me and I really donÔÇÖt care. I have loved motorcycles since my first ride on an AMF 90cc ÔÇ£mini-bikeÔÇØ. The only Harley I really enjoyed riding *smile*. I was 5 or 6 at the time. I am currently a government attorney and work for NYS Thruway Authority (I do most of their environmental legal work). Before going to law school I spent many years over seas. I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Paraguay and after that I taught sixth grade in Puerto Rico (hence the name ÔÇ£PedroÔÇØ). I have owned many bikes in my time. My current bikes include a 1984 R100 and two CB350s (one road racer and one street/parts bike). My wife also rides and outside of our various trips on bikes together I truly enjoyed my stay in Paraguay, which allowed me to scoot around many parts of South America on a Yamaha 125. More then enough bike to ÔÇ£scoot aroundÔÇØ on. I look forward to meeting you all on the road and if you ever drive by the Thruway Authority building off of I-87 Exit 23 (NY), give the building a wave....It is likely I will see you.

CO_G30

New BMW Rider

Hello

My name is Dom Chang and I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT last week at the Sturgis Beemer dealer. I had ridden up in a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and ended up riding back on the R1150RT! (long story, see blog if curious).

This is my second bike and I bought my first at the end of May of 2006, so pretty much a noobie. I had put over 5000 miles though on my bike since the first of June of this year and love riding.

I work for my own company as a computer networks consultant, married, father to two boys, living in Centennial, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by co_g30
    Hello

My name is Dom Chang and I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT last week at the Sturgis Beemer dealer. I had ridden up in a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and ended up riding back on the R1150RT! (long story, see blog if curious).

This is my second bike and I bought my first at the end of May of 2006, so pretty much a noobie. I had put over 5000 miles though on my bike since the first of June of this year and love riding.

I work for my own company as a computer networks consultant, married, father to two boys, living in Centennial, Colorado.
    Congratulations on the purchase, Dom. I read this post and smiled, you now own the bike I traded in for my new GS. I just went through your blog, interesting reading. Sorry to hear you have had a couple of drops, it does happen. As I'm sure you could see when you bought it, I never did drop it. But I can sure see how it can happen. Hang in there, it'll get easier to handle, it felt pretty big and bulky to me too when I first bought it. Don't be afraid to email me with any questions. Again, congratualtions on your purchase, you bought a well cared for bike that will treat you well for a long long time. (I see you also posted on the 1150 seat jack thread, those are the pieces of wood I put in there, and the pictures were taken with that bike. Small world, huh?) Your bike is still in my avatar, I will change it one of these days. Take care, and enjoy your machine.