Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourself and your bike!

eric2

Intro

Hi, I'm Eric and I live in Austin, Tx, 44 and single.
    My father also got me hooked on BMWs. He was the east USA
    sales rep for butler and smith while they were
    the BMW importer in the late 50's early '60s.
    He also took me to my first daytona in 1974
    where I saw Ago win on the TZ 700 and Reg Pridmore
    on a BMW 750 (talk about a mismatch)

With the exception of a few lean years in the early '80s
    I've only owned BMW bikes ever since; starting with a R75/5,
    then an r65LS that I bought while I was in the army
    and kept for 12 years .

In '97 I found the dark side when I bought a
    FYKRS. I had trouble staying upright on it (no fault of the bike)
    though so I decided to get something more expensive,
    faster, and heavy than the FYK leading to my main
    ride below I also have acquired yet another K10rs
    that I'm doing some slight tweaking on........

I've made alot of friends through the IBMWR list
    and the rallies I've made it to. I hope to
    meet some more at the WV rally next month.
    Attached Images Attached Images

'scuse me while I whip this out (my ego, that is)

Hey, folks. My name is not in fact Harvey Mushman, it's Tim White. I'm 29, married to the lovely and gracious Lady Pamela, and the father of 3 fur-kids. Two-legged kids are probably not too far down the road. Pam and I are both graduates of the University of Georgia. She is a teacher and I am employed as a writer (technical and otherwise) by a federal contractor in Virginia.

I started riding in Feb. '01, on a '00 Kawasaki ZR-7. It was (and is--it's for sale!) a great bike and I put nearly 30K miles on it in two years. But I wanted something more broadly capable, something to take me wherever I wanted to go with ease. So I bought a '02 R1150GS this past Feb. and I'm very happy I did. In 12K miles I've found it to be a fun and capable commuter, backroad explorer, trackday weapon, and two-up wanderer.

Assuming there is no snow or ice, I ride to work every day and spend most of my free time searching for new roads (paved and non) in the Virginia and West Virginia hills.

Hello.

Be careful out there, Pam says.
    Tim

Hi Harvey!
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Originally posted by fish
    Hi Harvey!
    Hi fish!
    Tim

Hi. I am one of the many Daves here. Actually I'm the best one of them. Kbasa and Fish are posers. I've been riding for almost 4 years on my first and only bike: an '00 R1150GS. Since I don't commute (except to cafes), most of the miles on my ODO actually represent fun.

I hardly rode the bike for the first couple of years. Then, right after 9/11, I decided to ride it (most of the way) across the country. Boy was I unprepared But after that I was hooked.

In the last year or so I've gotten into endurance rallies. Now my friends all think I'm crazy. I've started to explore the offroad capabilities of the GS, and have also been discovering its on-road abilities are more than I had previously thought.

But my favorite rides are to the Dunkin Donuts 1/4 mile down the street, to get coffee.

Hi Dave

No fair posting pictures of Dunkin' Donuts. They don't have them here.
    Tina Swider
    Sled Dog Touring Team
    Any bike I want that is in the garage

Originally posted by MrsKbasa
    Hi Dave

Now I know what my next ride report is going to be... I can probably string together a route of 30 or 40 of them within 10 miles of here

EDIT: Update, there are 100 of them within 9.2 miles and 16 within 1.5 miles.

1: 275 THAYER ST, PROVIDENCE RI, 02906 USA 0.66 miles
    100: 708 GREENWICH AVE, WARWICK RI, 02886 USA 9.2 miles
    Last edited by dizave; 06-18-2003 at 01:39 AM.

Originally posted by dizave
    Now I know what my next ride report is going to be... I can probably string together a route of 30 or 40 of them within 10 miles of here

That will be a pretty short ride....

Tina Swider
    Sled Dog Touring Team
    Any bike I want that is in the garage

Howdy, Fish, Harvey, Mr. & Mrs. Kbasa and others ...
    Name's Dan Pennell, a native of Columbus, OH where I still reside (luckily only about 4 miles from a BMW dealer).
    I began riding in the mid-70s while in college. I'm not the type to casually jump into something, so I threw myself into motorcycling, reading everything I could get my hands on, learning everything I could. I did a little traveling but didn't have much of a budget. I rode Japanese bikes for about 12 years, got married, bought my first house - you can see it coming, can't you? - and sold my trusty Kawasaki KZ750. It was now time to be "responsible" and "safe".
    Of course, that turned out to be quite boring, so I jumped back into bikes in a big way (literally) in 1993 with the purchase of a new GL1500 Gold Wing. But I had always secretly yearned for a BMW since reading the late Roger Hull's Road Rider magazine in the 70s.
    A few years later - you can see it coming, can't you? - I got divorced and suddenly the Wing lost its appeal to me. It was time for something more sporting, yet still capable of cross-country travel. A lightly-used '96 R1100RT was my first dive into BMW ownership and it was love at first sight, sound, and feel. The fit, finish, quality, ergonomics and aesthetics of the Boxer Twin seemed to speak to me in a way no other bike had ...
    Fast forward a couple of years and - you can see it coming, can't you? - I got remarried. The RT left a little to be desired 2-up, so I opted for the then-new K1200LT. Fantastic luxury tourer! I put 22,500 miles on the bike in short order, figuring I'd have it forever.
    However, my wife didn't take to riding quite the way I'd planned and I was once again getting a serious hankering for another Boxer Twin, the GS in particular. That funky styling, the do-anything, go-anywhere spirit of the bike began to work on my soul again and before long, the LT was history, replaced by a black R1150GS.
    I have my complaints about BMWs, mainly the expensive and too-frequent maintenance chores, but I have a hard time picturing myself on any other machines from this point on. Beemers are a quirky mix of tradition (the boxer engine), high tech (the Telelever suspension) and deliciously bold and ballsy styling. Plus the fact, when purchasing a BMW, the owner becomes a part of a very unique group of men and women who appreciate and even revel in riding something different than anything else on the market ...

Me posing near a famous road sign recently while in Missouri:

And my bike:

"Don't you know who I am???"

Originally posted by MrsKbasa
    Hi Dave

There's one in Sacto.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Me and My Tractor

Hello! My name is Dave Plogman, from Auburn, NY (Finger Lakes Region) this is my '86 R80RT. Converted from a R80 standard, repainted, including white Krausers and tailbox. 97K miles. Originally from Cincinnati, then Wichita, Atlanta, Nashville to Upstate NY. I'm 39, married with a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 1 month old girl. Been to 5 nationals and a few local rallys. 18th year riding- no accidents!

Favorite rides include NY Rt 30 to the Vermont rally, Adirondacks, Ozarks and Natchez Trace Parkway. Most miles these days are commuting trips, with occasional loops around Skaneateles Lake.

We are lucky to have such a great sport. My car driving friends don't know what fun they're missing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daver80; 06-28-2003 at 12:22 PM.

Re: Me and My Tractor

Originally posted by daver80
    I'm 39, married with a 2 1/2 year old future rider boy and a 1 month old girl. Been to 5 nationals and a few local rallys. 18th year riding- no accidents!
    What? No predictions on the daughter riding?

I hope you knocked on wood when you typed that 18 year stat.
    Stacey Coughlin

Re: Me and My Tractor

Originally posted by daver80
    Hello! My name is Dave Plogman, from Auburn, NY (Finger Lakes Region) this is my '86 R80RT. Converted from a R80 standard, repainted, including white Krausers and tailbox. 97K miles. Originally from Cincinnati, then Wichita, Atlanta, Nashville to Upstate NY. I'm 39, married with a 2 1/2 year old (future rider) boy and a 1 month old (future rider) girl. Been to 5 nationals and a few local rallys. 18th year riding- no accidents!

Favorite rides include NY Rt 30 to the Vermont rally, Adirondacks, Ozarks and Natchez Trace Parkway. Most miles these days are commuting trips, with occasional loops around Skaneateles Lake.

We are lucky to have such a great sport. My car driving friends don't know what fun they're missing!
    Good looking bike.
    Jeff
    Southeast Texas
    04 R1150RTL
    http://hacksaw.smugmug.com/
    Houston BMW Club
    BMWMOA #108002

Hiya Hacksaw!

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Back at ya KBasa.
    Jeff
    Southeast Texas
    04 R1150RTL
    http://hacksaw.smugmug.com/
    Houston BMW Club
    BMWMOA #108002