Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "The Harley Rodeo" in Red Lodge the Weekend of the MOA National

Too many HD on an island

The year the MOA rally was in VT we went to Nova Scotia. The weekend we were there about 8,000 HD riders were also there. Getting behind a group of them is not now I wanted to ride on those great roads. They did not like being passed or breaking up their riding order. You could see all the brake lights come on every time they came to a curve. Plus the loud noise from their bikes. I do not like to ride like that.

Becky

Never Die HD!

I hope to never see the HD mark go away, even never owning one myself and riding Beemers for 35 years. We just need to open a HDBMW riding school and give them some help. Noise? Now this is another issue. You know the stock HD's are rather quiet! The owners simply do not leave them this way. An American Heritage in our only American M/C. I think its a cool bike. Leave 'em be and pass them as needed. I have found, however some HD riders of great ability and passing them would be a great challenge. Not many though. We all have our riders and then, RIDERS.....You know if ever caught behind a really large group and you cannot get around without some disgrace, know when to take a "break" and let them go. Never be in such a hurry, "you" are the problem. Randy13233

Wise words, Polarbear!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I hope to never see the HD mark go away, even never owning one myself and riding Beemers for 35 years. We just need to open a HDBMW riding school and give them some help. Noise? Now this is another issue. You know the stock HD's are rather quiet! The owners simply do not leave them this way. An American Heritage in our only American M/C. I think its a cool bike. Leave 'em be and pass them as needed. I have found, however some HD riders of great ability and passing them would be a great challenge. Not many though. We all have our riders and then, RIDERS.....You know if ever caught behind a really large group and you cannot get around without some disgrace, know when to take a "break" and let them go. Never be in such a hurry, "you" are the problem. Randy13233

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    The year the MOA rally was in VT we went to Nova Scotia. The weekend we were there about 8,000 HD riders were also there. Getting behind a group of them is not now I wanted to ride on those great roads. They did not like being passed or breaking up their riding order. You could see all the brake lights come on every time they came to a curve. Plus the loud noise from their bikes. I do not like to ride like that.

Becky
    I too would like to be "wise", but wisdom says I must admit to the truth.

Becky's statement does not express she was in a hurry. She just stated "I do not like to ride like that".

Nor do I...
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

Stitch

Harley Davidson

Let me just say that I rode BMW's before I rode Harleys and now I own one of each.

BMW riders whine so much more that Harley riders. Get over your bad self and enjoy the ride and be happy that there are other people riding and promoting the sport before we all loose the right to ride.
    In my circle we support each other no matter what we ride.
    Stitch 1%er

Bad self

Right now I have more Honda in my garage than BMW so I do like other types of bike. I'm even looking for a Thruxton to ride. It is not what you ride it is how you ride and when you ride!

Beck

Quote Originally Posted by afhrnfa1 View Post
    Let me just say that I rode BMW's before I rode Harleys and now I own one of each.
    I have never felt more out of place than now. Have always owned bikes that were not what the group was riding. There are five of us, as a group we are comfortable riding together, we pretty much know what the others gonna do. Four have always ridden HD in one form or other, all now Ultras, and here I am on my k12s. Do they care? No. Do I care? Yes. Only because they've always refered to my beauties as "that thing Ricky rides" Now, do I like riding with large groups or riding behind large groups of riders I'm not a part of ? Not really. But that has not put a damper on a ride nor has it prompted me to think that a trip to a new place might be marred because a large organization might be on the road I'd like to ride. Some of the best times I've had were traveling alone and then noticing that somehow I'd fallen in behind another traveler, and later finding a few more are tagging along. Commaraderie, that's what it's all about. I hope this made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I have never felt more out of place than now. Have always owned bikes that were not what the group was riding. There are five of us, as a group we are comfortable riding together, we pretty much know what the others gonna do. Four have always ridden HD in one form or other, all now Ultras, and here I am on my k12s. Do they care? No. Do I care? Yes. Only because they've always refered to my beauties as "that thing Ricky rides" Now, do I like riding with large groups or riding behind large groups of riders I'm not a part of ? Not really. But that has not put a damper on a ride nor has it prompted me to think that a trip to a new place might be marred because a large organization might be on the road I'd like to ride. Some of the best times I've had were traveling alone and then noticing that somehow I'd fallen in behind another traveler, and later finding a few more are tagging along. Commaraderie, that's what it's all about. I hope this made sense.
    Rik, what you write makes alot of sense.

However, I only have time for a couple of m/c trips each year. This year, I am tacking on a couple of extra days to visit some spots I've wanted to go for a long time (Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth, Cody) and to visit my first MOA National. I agree that commaraderie is very important but my primary purpose to go is the riding.

I'm still gonna take my ride from Yellowstone up to Red Lodge via the Beartooth Hwy and back down it the Chief Joseph Hwy and head into Cody.

Let's just hope its not the longest leg of my trip!
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

Mike,

I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you there, maybe we can go for a ride.

Rick

Not sure?

I'm not certain if this thread is primarily a; my bike brand vs. your bike brand thread or a; roads near the National site thread. Sooooooo, let me throw in my 2 cents worth.

As a semi-local, don't miss riding Beartooth if you are coming from afar. It is truely a wonderful piece of road and would be worth your time to put into your agenda if possible. The veiw from the top is world class by any travelers description. I wouldn't miss Yellowstone because it is crowded, nor Yosemite. For a rider, I put Beartooth in that classification. Anytime Beartooth is open there will be traffic of some sort that is slower than a Beemer rider.

In case you are wondering, no I don't go near Sturgis during the rally, I go any other time of year.
    Last edited by wanderer; 01-22-2008 at 01:53 PM.
    Live this day.

The next-to-the last time I was at the top of Beartooth Pass it was 11:00 p.m. and snowing. The big fluffy white flakes, about the size of nickles, were blowing approximately horizontal, and I pretty much decided I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So the following summer I just had to go back on a windless, cloudless, day to see what I had missed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The next-to-the last time I was at the top of Beartooth Pass it was 11:00 p.m. and snowing. The big fluffy white flakes, about the size of nickles, were blowing approximately horizontal, and I pretty much decided I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So the following summer I just had to go back on a windless, cloudless, day to see what I had missed.
    How did you manage to find a windless day at the top of the Beartooth Pass?!
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Sounds like me and my attempt to visit Snowy Range. For years it was a Quest!! I saw a picture of the range on a calendar, and we headed there on our summer vacation. (late June) Jumped off I-80 at Laramie after riding along spectacular views of Vedauwoo ("earthbound spirits") only to be met with signs reported "Road closed 30 miles ahead) Drat! Right at the Snowy Range Pass.

The next year traveling with a friend, we tried again. The Pass was open, but it was windy, rain mixed with snow, and a pretty nasty ride. The 3rd attempt to visit my "quest" was after the '95 IBR. We were heading home after I'd finished the 11 day event (in SLC) and I told Jerry I wanted to "zip" over to Snowy Range. He's pretty patient with my "whims" and off we went. (after all it was definitely on the way). No luck...incredible wind, rain and frozen rain, and we were outta there.
    Finally in 2001 I was "in the neighborhood" again on the way to CA. My perserverance was rewarded with sunshine...Finally!!! Had dinner in Centennial, and got to camp at one of the campgrounds before heading to the pass (good thing because the other CG were still snowed in). Thought I was going to be carried away by the mosquitoes. Put my helmet on, and walked to the CG host's spot and asked about bears, since I was the only one back there. He assured me the only one he'd seen that day was a small one........(didn't sleep well). I had a glorious ride through the pass, sunshine and was treated to incredible views. If you're coming that way enroute to Gillette.....don't pass up the 230 loop south of Laramie (if you have the time), but definitely turn on 130 and cross the pass through the Medicine Bow National Forest. Snowy Range Pass El. 10,847 and Medicine Bow Peak EL 12,013. I hope you're rewarded the "calendar view"
    Last edited by R1100rtp; 02-01-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair

Quote Originally Posted by k75karol View Post
    Jumped off I-80 at Laramie after riding along spectacular views of Vedauwoo ("earthbound spirits")
    A sample of the Vedauwoo area. Strange rock formations...."otherworldly"
    Last edited by R1100rtp; 02-01-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, Director MOA Foundation
    2008/2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair