Thread: Battery drain---Bad!!!

olddude73

Battery drain---Bad!!!

90K100LT. A new (2nd one) sealed battery (Wesco) drains down to below cranking power within 3 weeks. New, hot (14.2V) battery installed 3 weeks ago, and today was too low to crank engine. This is the 2nd time this has happened. First one caused me to fry the starter relay; costing me another $65.00.

Where & how should I look to find the problem???

bmwmick
    Quote Originally Posted by gadwal View Post
    90K100LT. A new (2nd one) sealed battery (Wesco) drains down to below cranking power within 3 weeks. New, hot (14.2V) battery installed 3 weeks ago, and today was too low to crank engine. This is the 2nd time this has happened. First one caused me to fry the starter relay; costing me another $65.00.

Where & how should I look to find the problem???
    Gad,
    Do you have a voltmeter with an amperage function? If so, put the ammeter between the disconnected ground cable and the battery. Do NOT turn the ignition on or try to start the bike or you will fry the meter. You should see somewhere around 2.1ma or less on the meter with the key in the OFF or locked position.

Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by bmwmick; 01-16-2008 at 02:55 AM.

BUDDINGGEEZER

Battery Drain

Quote Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post
    Gad,
    Do you have a voltmeter with an amperage function? If so, put the ammeter between the disconnected ground cable and the battery. Do NOT turn the ignition on or try to start the bike or you will fry the meter. You should see somewhere around 21ma or less on the meter with the key in the OFF or locked position.

Let us know what you find.
    21 ma drain will drain 10,584 ma or 10.54 amps in a 3 week span. This is not a problem on a car battery, but with a 18 or 20 amp hour battery, half is gone. A car battery 10% or less.

That's why so many motorcyclist use a battery tender.

Ralph Sims

bmwmick
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
    21 ma drain will drain 10,584 ma or 10.54 amps in a 3 week span. This is not a problem on a car battery, but with a 18 or 20 amp hour battery, half is gone. A car battery 10% or less.

That's why so many motorcyclist use a battery tender.

Ralph Sims
    Ralph,
    Thanks! I forgot the decimal point. I was wondering where you got that 21ma figure so I went back and read my post. I meant to type 2.1