Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: k75 shocks

k75 shocks

after 97000miles the rear shock in my faithful old k75rt has about given up the ghost Has anyone tried progressive suspension's shock?::

I had a really nice on on my K75. I think it was a model 420? It had a remote reservoir and both preload and damping adjustment.

It completely transformed that bike. We also had a Koni on Tina's K75S, but it was ridiculously harsh.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar

Re: k75 shocks

Originally posted by drrider1
    after 97000miles the rear shock in my faithful old k75rt has about given up the ghost Has anyone tried progressive suspension's shock?::
    I have a Works Racer on mine. It works well, is rebuildable, and fairly inexpensive. They will set it up for your weight with the proper springs and it can be adjusted.

Jim

Question Source for Shocks???

So with replacement shocks, where are you purchasing shocks other than normal local dealer? Any good dependable on line sources? Looking for new not used shocks at this point, unless I could get a really good deal on a low mileage used one. I'm 6'3" 215# with jacket etc.

Re: k75 shocks

Originally posted by drrider1
    Had a Progressive 420 on my K100RT.. it didn't work well for me.

I've had the following, in increasing order of satisfaction:

Stock - over spring/under-damped

Progressive - Way over spung and they wouldn't do anything about it.

Works Performance - good shock, built to you - but needed frequent rebuilds.

Ohlins - good shock, can be rebuilt at any dirt-bike suspension shop. Expensive, but worth it. I don't believe they still make a model for the K75's.

Wilbers - excellent shock, in some ways better than the Ohlins, and slightly less expensive. Built to order, more adjustments than Ohlins. They do make one for K75's/K100's. DISCLAIMER - the importer of Wilbers is a good friend and used to own my current K75S.. plus I gave him some help with his website. Doesn't change my opinion - it's a better shock than the Ohlins, and that seems to be a very common opinion from anyone who has owned both.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I had a Fox on my K75S, and found it just awesome. Kinda spendy, but much less than Ohlins or Wilbers. If I had a K75, I'd buy one again.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Be sure to think about new fork springs as well. I put a Progressive on the rear of my bike, and it made the front end start to feel like a pogo stick. Progressive makes some stiffer fork springs that are supposed to be decent that I'll be purchasing here real soon. If you need a shock though in the meantime, buzz me off list I should have my old stock spring laying about.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Fox no longer makes road bike shocks. They will still support the existing ones, or so it says on the website.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Works Performance has a nice set of dual rate fork springs for the K75.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

I've had a Progressive on my K75S for years but I have to agree with most of what has been posted before. Progressive 420's seem to be damped too light for the spring. When new you can set the compression and rebound to their max and it will work OK but as the shock wears it becomes underdamped. I've had it rebuilt twice but can not get them to increase the low speed rebound damping.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Had a Progressive 420 on my K100RT.. it didn't work well for me.

I've had the following, in increasing order of satisfaction:

Stock - over spring/under-damped

Progressive - Way over spung and they wouldn't do anything about it.

Works Performance - good shock, built to you - but needed frequent rebuilds.

Ohlins - good shock, can be rebuilt at any dirt-bike suspension shop. Expensive, but worth it. I don't believe they still make a model for the K75's.

Wilbers - excellent shock, in some ways better than the Ohlins, and slightly less expensive. Built to order, more adjustments than Ohlins. They do make one for K75's/K100's. DISCLAIMER - the importer of Wilbers is a good friend and used to own my current K75S.. plus I gave him some help with his website. Doesn't change my opinion - it's a better shock than the Ohlins, and that seems to be a very common opinion from anyone who has owned both.
    I just bought Tom & Rosie Sperry's 1992 K75. Fly to California to pick it up on October 1. I had Wilbers on my 1150RT that I bought from Klaus Huenecke and rebuilt by him last March. Where can I buy Wilbers for my K75 now that Klaus does not sell them?
    Jim Puckett
    www.notsupermanrally.com
    IBA 24142
    MOA 112409

Quote Originally Posted by jcpuckett View Post
    I just bought Tom & Rosie Sperry's 1992 K75. Fly to California to pick it up on October 1. I had Wilbers on my 1150RT that I bought from Klaus Huenecke and rebuilt by him last March. Where can I buy Wilbers for my K75 now that Klaus does not sell them?
    Jim - you might contact Klaus and ask about Hyperpro shocks. The price may (not sure) be less than Wilbers, and it is an equivalent shock..

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Jim - you might contact Klaus and ask about Hyperpro shocks. The price may (not sure) be less than Wilbers, and it is an equivalent shock..
    I just checked the Hyperpro web site and they don't seem to list any shocks for the K75 or any other K bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
    I just checked the Hyperpro web site and they don't seem to list any shocks for the K75 or any other K bike.
    Kevin, don't believe everything you read on the Interweb.. call him.

Klaus also sells YSS

With all this talk about Klaus, I'd remind folks that he also sells YSS shocks. I bought a YSS for my K75S about a year ago through Tom Cutter (who got it through Klaus). It looks like a very high quality product, threaded pre-load adjuster, 60-click rebound adjuster, came set up almost perfectly for me, and works, very, very well. It only cost me $375 and I would say you'd have to spend half-again, if not closer to twice as much to get something comparable. It might be worth while to ask Klaus about these as well as the Hyperpros.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS