Thread: waxed cotton jacket

Jfixit

waxed cotton jacket

Can anyone tell me how the Belstaff waxed cotton jacket compares to the Aerostitch Falstaff waxed cotton jacket and how they compare to other textile jackets? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfixit View Post
    Can anyone tell me how the Belstaff waxed cotton jacket compares to the Aerostitch Falstaff waxed cotton jacket and how they compare to other textile jackets? Thanks.
    I can't compare the two jackets. But waxed cotton was high tech - the best you could get - far better than rubberized canvas - right after World War II. If you are into vintage motorcycles and the image and costume that goes therewith it is pretty good stuff. It actually works reasonably well and can be rewaxed when the wax deteriorates in creases and seams. It is absolutely not in the same league as modern breathable membrane, kevlar reinforced textiles.

Closely akin to comparing an R75/5 to a K1200R. The R75/5 is a great motorcycle, but .........
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Jfixit View Post
    I won a VANSON waxed jacket several years ago, quite comfortable and a good looking jacket, but I don't use it for riding. The metal buckle on the jacket has scratched gas tank written all over it. No comparision at all to textile jackets.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Jfixit
    Thanks for the responses, it is time for a new jacket and I was trying to consider all options.

5. 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM