Thread: K100LT Speedometer malfunction

K100LT Speedometer malfunction

I have a 1991 K100LT with an intermitent speedometer malfunction. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it just sits. Other times it appears to do the hula. I am looking for suggestions for repair.

This is a pretty common problem with Kbike instrument clusters. I used to punch the one on my K75, which would make it start working again, but after a while my knuckles would start to hurt.

Finally, I wandered over to www.ibmwr.org and poked around in their tech articles. They have a series of fixes for Kbike instrument clusters. I'd bet you'll be as successful as I was.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Thanks

Vielen Dank!

Before you do all of the harder cures try reseatting the plug behind the side cover for the sensor on the rear drive.
    2004 R1150RT 145,700 miles
    1991 K100LT 126,700 miles
    1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 379,300 BMW miles

Thumbs up Ditto

Originally posted by kioolt
    Before you do all of the harder cures try reseatting the plug behind the side cover for the sensor on the rear drive.

I had an intermitent problem with my speedo ('88 K100LT) that has gone away after popping the sensor plug, giving it a good wipe, and replacing it.

BRAHMA
    on my '85 K100RT, I've cleaned the connections really well, and placed a light coating of dielectric grease on them about once every couple of years. Only drops once or twice now on the hottest days of the summer.

DSD