Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment 01/26/08 COMMENTARY/TESTS

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post

If you're not already familiar with it, I highly recommend the Joby Gorillapod. It has three articulated legs, so in addition to a simple, free-standing tripod, you can wrap the legs around anything for a very sturdy grip. As a bonus, it's super light weightÔÇöideal for motorcycle travel. They run about $40.

I've been meaning to get one of those myself. that picture sure makes it look like the camera is out taking a stroll all on its own. Kinda creepy in a way. Imagine putting your camera down then looking down only to see it walking away! Ha Ha!

RM

rocketman
    Speaking of tripods I went shooting this past Saturday night in DC around the mall thinking of maybe getting some night shots of the capitol or monuments. since I decided to do this one using just the P&S it looked kinda funny having this tiny little camera sitting a full size tripod,, but what the heck. Not sure if I liked the pics of the Capitol, not because they didn't turn out nicely, but they just seemed like it has been shot sooooo many times its kinda old. tried one or two of the Washington monument with the camera tilled to capture a tree in silhouette along with the moon, but it came out looking more like a mistake than intentional. *sigh*.

I'm trying for a series of "contrasts" showing very different sides of the city that would also include one very recognizable building or feature, one not so obviously belonging to DC but still hint at where it is and one that could be something from any number of cities. I got the third one already, the second from the night shoot, a part of well known building but close enough you'd have to have seen it know which one it is,,, but the first one is really tough, trying to find a "new" view of something famous. darn you Tom.....

RM

I always carry my camera with me, cause you never know when an opportunity is going to present itself. Yesterday, we were in the car headed to town. We pull out on the highway and movement on the opposite shoulder catches my eye. Its a Bald Eagle lunching on roadkill. STOPTHECARSTOPTHECARSTOPTHECAR!!! Then I remember that I downloaded a bunch of pics from the day before and had left my camera sitting on my desk. *%&#%$

I'm pretty pissed at myself for leaving the camera at home, that pic would have summed up why I love living where I do. How many folks get to see that kind of thing?
    Too damn many bikes to list

You are so right, flymybmz! It's hard to miss priceless pictures like that!

I really like Jeff Dean's note that says he might be replacing one of his pictures. It's nice to post but have the option of replacing a picture with that WOW shot you get later.

I LOVE taking pictures.

This is the best assignment yet!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I started playing with my photo editor program, and transformed this color shot to b & w. (I am not sure I can even switch my camera to Black and White.) But I like the results of this all the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Wow, that's old-timey. I do like B&W. Nice one, Sue!

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    I started playing with my photo editor program, and transformed this color shot to b & w. (I am not sure I can even switch my camera to Black and White.) But I like the results of this all the same.
    Sue,

This shot works on so many levels. B&W is an excellent choice for the subject matter. The tree is away from center (as it should be) and the horizon, too, but just slightly. I also like how the background seems to recede into the atmosphere. Really, really cool.

p.s. LOVE your sig.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post
    I always carry my camera with me, cause you never know when an opportunity is going to present itself. Yesterday, we were in the car headed to town. We pull out on the highway and movement on the opposite shoulder catches my eye. Its a Bald Eagle lunching on roadkill. STOPTHECARSTOPTHECARSTOPTHECAR!!! Then I remember that I downloaded a bunch of pics from the day before and had left my camera sitting on my desk. *%&#%$

I'm pretty pissed at myself for leaving the camera at home, that pic would have summed up why I love living where I do. How many folks get to see that kind of thing?
    I hear ya on that one. I arrived home from work, and the snow on the trees looks so amazing I wanted to run in and get the tripod, when I remembered the camera is at work in my briefcase...which was a good idea over the weekend...
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

If you're not already familiar with it, I highly recommend the Joby Gorillapod. It has three articulated legs, so in addition to a simple, free-standing tripod, you can wrap the legs around anything for a very sturdy grip. As a bonus, it's super light weightÔÇöideal for motorcycle travel. They run about $40.
    +1

I took one of these on my trip around Superior and to the James Bay, last year. I used it on a number of occasions to capture pics of myself. I didn't have anyone else to take the photo for me. I also used it once or twice to get a good shot in low-light conditions. It fits very nice in a tank bag.

Tom, nothing this week. Not a single redeeming feature sprang out. I drove around, walked through and not a thing.

somehow a strip mall doesn't quite have the appeal as our last home.

SNC1923
    Lamble,

Coming from a country whose capital was founded nearly 2,000 years ago, the suburban sprawl of the U.S. would, indeed, present an aesthetic challenge.

DO note that the deadline for this assignment is next weekend, not this. If you are feeling--well, not inspired--let's say resigned, you have more time to show us where you live and how you feel about it.

I have my shots planned, but they are time critical. My initial efforts were abysmal. I want one to include a sunset and the atmosphere is not cooperating. My intended results will not be an entirely flattering portrait of my home, but that isn't my intention.

Keep trying. . . . There's time.

Lamble,

Coming from a country whose capital was founded nearly 2,000 years ago, the suburban sprawl of the U.S. would, indeed, present an aesthetic challenge.

DO note that the deadline for this assignment is next weekend, not this. If you are feeling--well, not inspired--let's say resigned, you have more time to show us where you live and how you feel about it.

I have my shots planned, but they are time critical. My initial efforts were abysmal. I want one to include a sunset and the atmosphere is not cooperating. My intended results will not be an entirely flattering portrait of my home, but that isn't my intention.

Funny you should mention the capital. The picture is 10 miles from the original Roman capital for England. They probably landed on our island, as we have a causeway that dated from AD 40ish, plus burial mounds. Boudica came down, in a bit of a huff, and slaughtered 2,000 folk in the temple (under the castle which the Normans built on top), so the Romans moved it. You just don't get that sort of stuff from a McD, TacoBell and Nailz Hut R Us.

rocketman
    Lamble,

I concur, strip malls and such are as much a part of America as the grand statuaries of it major cities, its vast vista et all. As Tom has pointed out there is no requirement that the photos have to be a "kind" portrayal of your adopted home, if nothing else let your series stand as a warning for others to approach with caution!

Seriously though, even strip malls and such can hold hidden treasures, an odd sign or business name, or sometimes the mere mis-match of store front styles or colors can be an interesting study in contrasts or how a town seems to have been thrown together from a pile of seemingly discarded components. Keep Looking...

RM

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rihn-Manke View Post
    I love the almost surrealistic nature of your shot, excellent framing, very well done!

RM

rocketman
    I just wanted to say that I am very pleased the way this assignment using split threads is working out and appreciate the manor in which folks have quickly adapted to it, (for whatever that's worth!).

I hope this will become the standard for all future challenges, I was a little concerned it might be hard to track both threads, but seems not to be the case at all.

Good on ya Tom for formalizing this format in the initial posting.

RM