Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gas cans mounted in from of Pannier

thtduck
    I'm not worried about explosion from rear mounted gas containers but "Ford Pinto" comes to mind when I see them.

I ordered 2gal PegPackers yesterday for my R1200GS. Will be nice to have for the Canada/Alaska trip this summer. Placed the order on the website and in 30 minuets I had a UPS tracking number w/ shipment confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Interesting stuff. Did you read how he made a deal with his friend to buy gas from his friends 11 gallon tank and post dated the check so he could stop payment on it? Not someone I would like to know.
    That's was stinky and did cause some pause for me but I still ordered the Pegpacker, it just looks like a very good low CG way to carry fuel. Kinda feel like if you run out gas and you want some help you have to make a choice and you do have one. Who carries a checkbook instead of extra fuel?
    Last edited by thtduck; 02-04-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thtduck View Post
    I'm not worried about explosion from rear mounted gas containers but "Ford Pinto" comes to mind when I see them.

I ordered 2gal PegPackers yesterday for my R1200GS. Will be nice to have for the Canada/Alaska trip this summer. Placed the order on the website and in 30 minuets I had a UPS tracking number w/ shipment confirmation.

That's was stinky and did cause some pause for me but I still ordered the Pegpacker, it just looks like a very good low CG way to carry fuel. Kinda feel like if you run out gas and you want some help you have to make a choice and you do have one. Who carries a checkbook instead of extra fuel?
    I visited David's office this morning on my way in to work to discuss adapting the PegPacker system to my RTP. We think it will work just fine, and when I pull the trigger and get the devices, David wants to take photos of the installation for the website as I'll be the first RT/RTP to use the product.

An extra three gallons of gas will be a great insurance policy for my ride to Alaska this summer.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    They may pick up a stone in front.
    Those MSR bottles are thin walled aluminum.
    They are very strong as I crashed, on the right side, at 30-35 MPH during the TAT. The bottles took a hit but were fine, the Pannier needed repair as it was severly dented. It took the weight of the bike....

Quote Originally Posted by BONEY View Post
    I think it's a bad idea to put anything on the front of your panniers. Here's why;

You need leg room for when you're travelling over dirt/sand/mud and need to plant a foot. Anything on the front of the pannier runs the risk of smashing into your leg as you move past a planted foot. In extreme cases, even the pannier itself will hit you. Of course if you NEVER plan on riding off the pavement, then you'll probably be fine.

I'd rather find a different place to mount my gas cans then run the risk of getting a leg injury in the middle of nowhere.
    If I run over my foot with this much clearance I would be wondering WTF? I usually ride the thing to the ground ,keeping my feet on the pegs unless I cannot possibly get out of the mess I am in. I ride it a lot diff than my old 175 two banger. This bike hasn't seen as much dirt yet as it is a few months old...the others had a lot more experience. The gas I carry as I said earlier is for long stretches with smaller capacity riding partners bikes,usually on the road...I try to not have the ADV tank topped off if I am goofing around and I don't need the bottles...sumbitch gets hard to pickup with all that extra weight!
    My worst leg injuries have been from the pegs finding my ankle when trying to slide flattrack style and doing it poorly...that was on that danged 175 also.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait