Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas cans mounted in from of Pannier

shire2000
    Looks like 4 nice red bombs just waiting for somebody to rear end the bike. I would not want to be on that thing when it happens.

Wouldn't it be easier to install a bigger gas tank like we did on our old Airheads? Oh yeah, your newer bikes don't have the gas tank in the normal place. Hmm, there must be a way.

Quote Originally Posted by elkroeger View Post
    Boy, I'd like to see that. I've been experimenting with some large hose clamps to mount MSR bottles on my saddlebags (like a fire extinguisher). I've almost got it, but I'm reluctant to drill the necessary holes in my bags....
    Drill the holes. I did.

More at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2007/0823-msrgas/

Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    Looks like 4 nice red bombs just waiting for somebody to rear end the bike. I would not want to be on that thing when it happens.
    Uh, you've got fuel, but no air or ignition source, thus no bomb. The bottles don't shatter. If you are in a rear ender the bottles are likely to have the least amount of damage. They are stronger than your gas tank.

Or do you also have problems riding around with 5-10 gallons of gas in a plastic tank between your legs in case you're T-boned?
    Last edited by marchyman; 04-24-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: fix broken link

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I mounted two in front
    They may pick up a stone in front.
    Those MSR bottles are thin walled aluminum.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    They may pick up a stone in front.
    Those MSR bottles are thin walled aluminum.
    I thought about that, my legs and that big Adventure tank block them most of the time , mounting on the rear also brings concerns. I used those bottles camping years ago and really abused them at times with no issues. More worried about a big boulder than a stone hit

I'd also trust these more than a plastic jug as mentioned. I've melted the side reflectors off my license frame running across west Texas with the heat tunnel created by the TT cases.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I really like the MSR bottle setup. anyone know where I can purchase some???

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Google MSR and many choices come up... CampMor is a good start.

The largest MSR Bottle is 33 ounce...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

shire2000
    I ride around with my gas in a large metal container in front of me. I don't worry about it so much because if I get T-Boned I will be in pretty bad shape to begin with. But having a bunch of gas in containers that could be crushed from impact behind me, now that would make me worry. I have seen a lot more bikes hit from behind than from the side, over the past 40 years of riding. Some were at less than 5MPH while others were at a much higher speed.

I don't care how well those containers are constructed, when they get crushed, those tops will pop off and a gush of gas is going to go everywhere. It just doesn't look all that safe to me.

I understand the need for adventure riders needing more fuel, but I would be looking for a much safer method of carrying it. Putting it on the back of the bike and making them the first point of impact, well, that just does not make sense to me.

*censored*
    I am planning on mounting gas cans in front of the BMW panniers on my R1200GSA, similar to the picture shown (different brand of panniers of course).
    I think it's a bad idea to put anything on the front of your panniers. Here's why;

You need leg room for when you're travelling over dirt/sand/mud and need to plant a foot. Anything on the front of the pannier runs the risk of smashing into your leg as you move past a planted foot. In extreme cases, even the pannier itself will hit you. Of course if you NEVER plan on riding off the pavement, then you'll probably be fine.

I'd rather find a different place to mount my gas cans then run the risk of getting a leg injury in the middle of nowhere.

explosion risk

I would not want to be rear ended with those gas bottles mounted on the back. One guy mentioned mounting them in front of the cases which sounds a lot safer. The Iron Butt guys use auxiliary tanks but I have seen no comment from any of them on here.

Quote Originally Posted by ardbeglily View Post
    I would not want to be rear ended with those gas bottles mounted on the back. One guy mentioned mounting them in front of the cases which sounds a lot safer. The Iron Butt guys use auxiliary tanks but I have seen no comment from any of them on here.
    Lose the top box and mount a fuel cell in it's place.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ardbeglily View Post
    If you're so risk-adverse, I suggest you give up riding as that's dangerous, too.

Any mount will fail long before the bottles do. In a crash, the bottles will break off and roll away. I use MSR fuel bottles to cart around white gas when backpacking and mountaineering, and those bottles can take a huge amount of abuse. Heck - I've even used full MSR bottles as a hammer to pound in tent stakes in a pinch. We're talking about aircraft grade aluminum here. If you don't trust the fuel bottles in a crash, I certainly hope you don't fly in commercial airliners!

I just made an appointment to drop by BestRest Products tomorrow morning on my way in to work to see if the PegPacker system will work on my RTP. That seems like a great way to cart around extra fuel - and with a trip to Alaska coming up this summer, extra fuel is something I'd like to have on board.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    If you're so risk-adverse, I suggest you give up riding as that's dangerous, too.

Any mount will fail long before the bottles do. In a crash, the bottles will break off and roll away.
    Yep. The bottles are stronger than the rear (plastic) portion of the mount I use and also stronger than the pannier to which they are mounted. I'd guess than in a really bad rear-ender either the bottles would cave in the side of my Zega cases or, if not a direct hit, the mounting screws of the holder would be ripped out of the cases.

// marc

shire2000
    Sometimes, just because you can (and got away with it) does not necessarily mean you should.

All I am saying is that I would not do it and would not recommend it. If you want to do it, go right ahead. I cannot, and will not try to stop you. You have the right to do as you please.

I imagine somebody out there will be mounting these things to the rear bumper of their car. As most car bumpers are now plastic covering a styrofoam block, so with your logic, that would be a good thing to do. If I see that driving down the freeway, I will take the next turnoff. There is no way I want to be around when the inevitable happens. There is always somebody that has to test everything to it's limits.

Any mount will fail long before the bottles do. In a crash, the bottles will break off and roll away. I use MSR fuel bottles to cart around white gas when backpacking and mountaineering, and those bottles can take a huge amount of abuse. Heck - I've even used full MSR bottles as a hammer to pound in tent stakes in a pinch. We're talking about aircraft grade aluminum here. If you don't trust the fuel bottles in a crash, I certainly hope you don't fly in commercial airliners!

I just made an appointment to drop by BestRest Products tomorrow morning on my way in to work to see if the PegPacker system will work on my RTP. That seems like a great way to cart around extra fuel - and with a trip to Alaska coming up this summer, extra fuel is something I'd like to have on board.
    Just ordered the Peg Packers for an 01 Dakar. Last time a friend checked with the Best Rest guys they seemed to think they will fit on the F650 thumpers, but were noncommittal. If you can get some more info out of them about the thumper application during your visit, I'll be glad to hear it.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

cactuspat
    I mounted mine on my cylinders:: just kidding , but get real friends ,there are risk in everything we do in this wonderful life we have just enjoy it, by the way when I go on adventures ,and where I go there is nobody to rear end me, its not like I gas up in the city and transport extra fuel for my jump into my adventure.