Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Assignment: Weekend 01/05/08

grossjohann

Night Cap

Last edited by grossjohann; 01-20-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Image lost when thread moved to Photography Forum

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Finally got a few together

So I took some shots. Okay a bunch of them. I learned a few things along the way also. I am having some trouble getting the white balance tweaked in. Here are the 26 photos straight out of the camera - all that I did was run the RAW photos through Lightroom to convert to JPG for upload to smugmug.

So I understand the rules of not photoshopping, so here are the six keepers. But I wanted to improve the output a little more so I did white balance, crop, rotate, tweaks in Lightroom. I kept the file names the same so that they can be compared and "whipped".

I figured out that I need more light, and probably a better background solution.

My two motorcycle keys

I did not like how close I got to them

Here it is cleaned up some - just cropped and white balanced

So I did some closeups holding the camera instead of using the tripod

Here it is a little cleaned up

A few more keys cleaned up - white balance, crop, rotate.

So then I wanted to get Write to the point -

Cleaned up

Then it got a little skewed

Cropped a little and WB

Complete Galleries
    Six Tweaked
    http://bradfordbenn.smugmug.com/gallery/4123815

Straight out of camera
    http://bradfordbenn.smugmug.com/gallery/4123575
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Failure?

Look closely!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

This one's HOT!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

This one's not.

Voni
    sMiling

Last one. But it's hard to stop.

Voni
    sMiling

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    It certainly is close-up, though nowhere near the minimum focusing distance (thank God). The expression on the young girl aboard the sidehack is priceless.
    I think its been photo-shopped!

RM

(girl on the the side-hack? where??? Oh, yeah, I see..... )

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    nope, bullets never travel mere inches
    RM
    Sure they do... from the clip to the barrel
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    I think its been photo-shopped!

RM

(girl on the the side-hack? where??? Oh, yeah, I see..... )
    RE photo #89 - there might be a lot of "alteration" here but I don't think it was Photoshop - more like Dr. Shop.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    No one?
    RE Tom's mystery tool - Torx bit! Straight on the business end!!

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn View Post
    So I took some shots. Okay a bunch of them. I learned a few things along the way also. I am having some trouble getting the white balance tweaked in. . . .

So I understand the rules of not photoshopping, so here are the six keepers. But I wanted to improve the output a little more so I did white balance, crop, rotate, tweaks in Lightroom. I kept the file names the same so that they can be compared and "whipped".

I figured out that I need more light, and probably a better background solution.

Cropped a little and WB
    I took a look at these shots and saw a lot going on correctly. Good composition, excellent focus, etc. The white balance is really tough though. Like Brad, I also am learning LightRoom, an adobe file organizing software program. It offers the ability to substantially tweak your photos but doesn't even approach the complexity of PhotoShop, which is, well, cumberful.

Anywho, I took a stab at further tweaking the above image and came up with this:

This is by no means perfect and I'm sure there are others on our site who are far more familiar with these programs. I can't remember everything I did, but for the most part I fiddled a bit with color temperature, greatly increased the exposure, reduced contrast (unusual for me), played with sharpening a bit, and really cranked "lens vignetting." Most zoom lenses vignette a bit, that is appear darker in the corners. This is hard to notice unless against a light background and you are looking for it. LightRoom has a correction for this under "lens corrections" of all places.

One of the chief difficulties with this image is that it's on a plain, white background. Camera light meters are engineered to register 18% gray reflectance. Anything starkly different than that (total white or total black) throws the meter off. I think the issue here was not so much white balance (maybe a little) but that your picture was underexposed because the camera's light meter was fooled. When photographing a plain white background (snow for example) one should OVERexpose by about two stops; conversely, a plain black background (a spotlit stage for example) one should UNDERexpose by about two stops. Counterintuitive, perhaps, but trust me on this.

Did you have it set for centerweighted or evaluative? CW metering is the old-fashioned system used by cameras for the past fifty years. The evaluative system is a light meter controlled by a computer program trained to correct typical lighting problems like backlighting, white or dark backgrounds, etc. They're very good, but far from perfect.

Post-processing is an art all unto itself and I've only begun to scratch the surface. I'd love to take a class one of these days. . . . . However, the knowledge about under- and overexposing high contrast backgrounds would negate the need for editing software to render the above image. Just sayin'.

Salmander Ensatina
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    Salmander Ensatina
    Outstanding photo - looks like it came from a box of "premium" gummy worms. Excellent!

Technical Question

Technical Question:

Sometimes when I click on "Quote" the reply includes the text and the photo I am replying to. Sometimes only the text shows up in the reply.

In #106 - no photo! In #109 I got the photo.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with an attached photo vs a URL referenced photo. Any clues??

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Technical Question:

Sometimes when I click on "Quote" the reply includes the text and the photo I am replying to. Sometimes only the text shows up in the reply.

In #106 - no photo! In #109 I got the photo.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with an attached photo vs a URL referenced photo. Any clues??
    Paul,

Your assumption about attached vs. URL is accurate, I think; however, in this particular case, in #106 you were quoting a message in which the photo itself was quoted. I guess it only works when you quote the message with the original URL'd photo.

Strictly speaking, not a torx bit. Sorry.