Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do sliks prevent helmet hair?

Do sliks prevent helmet hair?

I ride to work every day. Some days trying to fix my hair is a real pain. Do any of you wear sliks on a regular basis? Do they work for you? In what way? Should I get one?
    Thanks gang.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Nah....doesn't matter whether I put slicks on the bike or leave the factory metzlers....I still get the same amount of helmet hair.

Talking Sliks and helmet head

Cliffy,

They do work to a degree. Your hair will still look flattened, but it won't have the helmet liner grooves it normally does. Or you could just order a t-shirt like mine with the following message on it:

I have a German hairdresser . . .his name is Helmut.

Cheers,
    Mark

I use a Slik liner every time I put on my helmet. I commute almost daily and have more problems with wind blowing my hair around on the walk in from the parking lot than helmet hair. I recommend them highly.
    Bruce F
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS - SOLD
    '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    The only way to prevent helmet hair. Have no hair! In the summer I go for the buzz cut for that exact reason.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

WesPeterson
    I'm going to suggest that it depends on your hair. Sliks did zilch for my helmet-doo - it's now sitting in that box that holds the other motorcycling "thought I would like it" stuff.

dlearl476
    Originally posted by Wes
    I'm going to suggest that it depends on your hair. Sliks did zilch for my helmet-doo - it's now sitting in that box that holds the other motorcycling "thought I would like it" stuff.
    I'll second that. When I got my in-ears, I was advised to use one to keep the plugs in place. Turned out to be a royal PITA, IMHO. I do use it on occasion in the heat of summer, soaked in water, for the evaporative cooling effect.
    Did squat for Helmet Hair for me, but I'm beyond caring.

I use the Sliks under my Schuberth helmet, but it doesn't keep my
    hair neat and tidy, but I don't have a whole lot of locks to worry
    about.

I do like the Sliks because it makes my helmet go on much more
    easily and I can keep my ear plugs in much better. I thought
    the main selling point of the Sliks was that it absorbed the sweat
    etc. that normally ends up in your helmet liner.

I am very satisfied with my Sliks.

Gerald

1flyer
    Wearing Sliks is better than not wearing Sliks. I use one everyday for the ride to work but still have to do a quick touch-up after I get there. But itÔÇÖs not as big of a mess as it would be had I not worn it. Where I really appreciate it is on a long ride or when the weather is warm to hot. I think they help keep the inside of the helmet a lot cleaner. IÔÇÖll buy another, or something like it, when it comes time for a replacement.

I wear a thing called the Orginal Texas Headskin that I got at a rally or something over 15 years ago. It does nothing for my hair. That is why I get a high and tight crew cut from April thru October. What it does do is keep the helmet liner from stinking. I just throw the headskin in the laundry. When I'm on the road I wash it out in a sink and let it air dry on a mirror.

MarkF

BOBSST
    This was a joke - right?

1flyer
    Yes, you caught us. It was a joke. None of us posting have any kind of daily job where we need to look somewhat squared away and professional at work. None of us would ever let our personal appearance, as seen by our clients, or our customers, or our boss, or our fellow workers come before our need to look like s--- because we ride a motorcycle. I mean, after all, we have an image to uphold.

Glad you caught on, youÔÇÖre a sharp guy!

I think he was referring to the "headskins", which made me snicker too.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Restricted to 25 characte
    Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    The only way to prevent helmet hair. Have no hair! In the summer I go for the buzz cut for that exact reason.
    The exact opposite works great for me. I wear my hair in a pony tail... sometimes I have to take out the rubber band and reapply, but the helmet never creates a real problem ("bed head" doesn't occur, either). I do wear a headskin to absorb sweat.

Just grow it out!

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I used to have a pony tail. I want my pony tail back. Before I cut it in the mid 90's for a job it was down to my butt. (Idid not sell out, I rented.)

Unfortunately if I grew it now, I would look like Phil Collins. (I am folically challenged)
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride