Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lodging??

Moto-Camper

Lodging??

Hey guys,

I must be doing something wrong. I went to Expedia.com and checked on rooms for the rally in Gillette. A 1 1/2 star motel was $220 a night. Did I read it wrong or was the decimal point put in the wrong spot? I really really want to go to the rally, but to pay almost $1000 for a room for several days seems rather severe. So, what did I do wrong? Thanks for the help and see you in Gillette (Maybe!!!)..... Jeff

The rate is probably right, unfortunately. Try Sherpa Mayberry's camping service, if you don't mind tenting it. Comes out to not much more than that for the whole rally, and he makes very good coffee!

Cheryl

I am going to cut back severely on my rally going because of this very reason...Rooms...gas and food are just getting to be too much...I have already cancelled Daytona next spring and Gillette wy also is not on my list..I simply just don't want to spend that kind of money...

Question Just A Thought

I too am undecided if I will include Gillette in my riding plans when I 'Iron Butt' it out west next July to visit my daughter in Castle Rock, CO., which is nearly 400 miles from the rally site.

However, though I have never camped while motorcycling, I did look into the logistics, and you might be surprised.

I took a walk thru the sporting goods section of the local Wal-Mart and here is what I noticed:

3-man quality, waterproof tent: $27
    Ground Cloth: $8
    Sleeping Bag (Good to 35 degrees): $20
    Over-size Tent Stakes (For WY winds!): $5
    Tent Stake Hammer & Remover: $6
    8" Thick Twin-size Air Mattress: $12
    Battery-operated Air Pump: $10

Total for what I consider the minimum to 'spend a few nights in camp' at Gillette comes to only $88!

For that investment, you could spend 'X' number of days at the rally, throw everything away before you head home (though I wouldn't) and still have spent less than even one night at a local motel during the OFF season. Food, showers, etc. are provided on the rally grounds - in other words, you don't have to pack for an expedition to the Himalaya's just to flop for a night or two somewhere.

All the items I looked at pack down quite small and could easily be included with everything else I load on the R1200RT for long-distance travel. Just something to consider???
    Last edited by Greenwald; 11-24-2007 at 04:31 AM.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Check out this link for Ted Mayberry

Looks like an easy way to go.
    Ted is taking reservations now.

Then ...

ray82609
    From the Camplex MOA page.
    -Ray

GILLETTE,WYOMING
    Hotel Name Phone Number
    Best Value Inn 682-9341
    Best Western Towers West 686-2210
    Budget Inn Express 686-1989
    Comfort Inn 685-2223
    Days Inn 682-3999
    Fairfield Inn 686-2210 - (Nichole)
    Hampton Inn 686-2000
    Holiday Inn Express 686-9576
    Howard Johnson Inn 682-2616
    Motel 6 686-8600
    National 9 682-5111
    Super 8 Motel 682-8078
    Wingate Inn 685-2700

MOORCROFT, WYOMING - 30 miles from CAM-PLEX

Cozy Motel
    756-3411

Moorcourt Motel
    756-3411

BUFFALO, WYOMING - 63 miles from CAM-PLEX
    Arrowhead Motel 684-9453
    Best Western Cross Roads 684-2256
    Big Horn Motel 684-7822
    Blue Gables Motel 684-2574
    Canyon Motel 684-2957
    Comfort Inn 684-9564
    Rhodeway Inn 800-424-6423
    Holiday Inn Express 686-2210
    Mansion House Inn 684-2218
    Motel 6 684-7000
    Mountain View 684-2881
    Occidental Hotel 684-0451
    Super 8 Motel 684-2531
    Wyoming Motel 684-5505
    Z-Bar Motel 684-5535

SUNDANCE, WYOMING- 63 miles from CAM-PLEX
    Arrowhead Hotel 283-3307
    Bear Lodge Motel 283-1611
    Best Western 283-2800
    Sundance Mountain Inn 283-3737

NEWCASTLE, WYOMING- 75 miles from CAM-PLEX
    Fountain Inn 746-4426
    Four Corners Inn 746-4776
    Hilltop Motel 746-4494
    Morgan Motel 746-2715
    Pines Motel 746-4334
    Sage Motel 746-2724

HULETT, WYOMING - 70 miles from CAM-PLEX
    Best Western Inn 467-5747

Moto-Camper

Lodging...

Well, I called to see about prices. Yep, the price Expedia gave me were correct. Guess I am spoiled by living in the real world. I can get a 5 star room here in Akron, Ohio for $99 a night. I can get a 2 star for $38 a night. Why in the world would I pay $220 a night for a 1 1/2 star just to attend a rally? I agree I had fun at the Charleston, WVa rally a few years ago, and found the $19 a night dorm room very nice (especially when the weather got terrible), but not enough fun to justify the cost of these rooms, plus food, fuel, and maybe spend the remaining 50 cents on gear.
    Sorry MOA, but I will attend 20 local rallys for that kind of money. HAve more fun, meet more people, and see more of the country I want to see. It seems as though these "FUN" rallys have gone the way of Bike Week.... gimmie, gimmie, gimmie..... surely you could use some pressure to maintain reasonable prices for the rallys. Or, maybe go somewhere else that actually wants us and not JUST OUR MONEY....
    As much as I wanted to go, it isn't going to happen this year. I will just ride to Alaska or Mexico and save the rest of my money....
    By the way, I do 40 to 50 nights a year motorcycle camping so I have all the equipment, but still it is too expensive to attend...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by apopj View Post
    By the way, I do 40 to 50 nights a year motorcycle camping so I have all the equipment, but still it is too expensive to attend...

I don't understand, if you like to camp and have all the equipment, why is it still too expensive to attend?
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

Moto-Camper

lodging??

Well,

My fiance will be with me and she wants a hotel room. I always think of the MOA as a family group, not a solo camping experience. She doesn't mind camping after a short ride, but when its two hard days for her, she wants some comfort. But the problem isn't that it is out of my price range, it's that it's in a ridiculous price range. I mean really, $220 for a 1 1/2 star motel???? At least the guys I used to arrest wore a mask when they robbed people....

Jeff
    Last edited by apopj; 02-06-2008 at 03:06 AM.

More lodging ideas

Hey I know the motel rates are outragious in Gillette. I live in Rapid City SD. and work over there quite often. But feel lucky if you get one at all on short notice!
    Here is an idea. How about staying in Spearfish SD. and making the trip over to Gillette for the programs?

Quote Originally Posted by JVANV View Post
    Hey I know the motel rates are outragious in Gillette. I live in Rapid City SD. and work over there quite often. But feel lucky if you get one at all on short notice!
    Here is an idea. How about staying in Spearfish SD. and making the trip over to Gillette for the programs?
    Prolly a good idea if you are going to hotel-it. Spearfish is a nice mid-sized town and would be a good center of operations if you planned to do some riding through the Black Hills during the National.
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

Quote Originally Posted by apopj View Post
    Well, I called to see about prices. Yep, the price Expedia gave me were correct. Guess I am spoiled by living in the real world. I can get a 5 star room here in Akron, Ohio for $99 a night. I can get a 2 star for $38 a night. Why in the world would I pay $220 a night for a 1 1/2 star just to attend a rally? I agree I had fun at the Charleston, WVa rally a few years ago,
    Jeff
    When you called the hotels, did you ask for the BMW MOA block of rooms. There should still be some cheaper than the 220.00. Haven't checked to see if the blocks are gone, but there should be some left.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

floppp
    I went down to the Hills for some riding at the beginning of July. I decided to stay 2 nights and elected to stay in a motel instead of camping. Deadwood and the rest were fully booked but the Super 8 in Sturgis took me. The lady at the desk apologized profusely because the last room they had available was the deluxe with a large jacuzzi tub. She said she was really really sorry but it was $109 a night. Sounded like a good deal to me.

It's not 5 star but soaking in the jacuzzi after sweating buckets in the 110 heat of the grasslands was a treat. And breakfast was included.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Spearfish to Gillette is about 90 minutes if I recall right. Are there towns a mite closer that neighbor folks might recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Spearfish to Gillette is about 90 minutes if I recall right. Are there towns a mite closer that neighbor folks might recommend?
    Buffalo is 71
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014